[nfb-db] HKNC

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Thu May 23 06:53:02 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone:

First, I want to say I am very disappointed by how many of you have
been treated at conventions and such by the NFB.
I have never had this experience of being treated rudely. I am
saddened to learn of this, because I love the NFB, and it's positive
philosophy, and I think everyone should be able to enjoy it and
participate in the organization.
I have a question. I have been selected to attend a leadership seminar
at the National center next week. Apparently, htis seminar is for
young, up and coming leaders. It is by invitation only, and I was
recomended by my state president and so was invited.
What can I do as a young leader to help combat this problem in the
federation? It is wrong people are being treated this way and if
someone wants to go to convention they should be able to and have full
access to the information!! What can I do to help with this?
The way people have been treated by federationists is wrong, and ridiculous!!
Marsha and everyone, please don't give up. The more of us who become
leaders and stand up and make our voices heard, the more the NFB will
have to wake up and listen. We must not give up. We must make our
voices heard.
Marsha, as for your question, I just recently attended training. I
decided to attend LCB because I felt they pushed their students and
challenged them more than HKNC does. I am not against HKNC, I just
didn't think it would push and challenge me the way LCB would. I had a
very positive experience at LCB, and I learned many techniques for
communicating to compensate for my hearing loss. I also learned how to
get assistance/use a sign to get assistance in crossing streets. They
also taught me how to mental map, use the sun, cardinal directions,
and we worked a ton on communication.
I also wonder what the NFB's position is on HKNC. I wish HKNC pushed
and challenged their students the way the NFB centers do.
Thanks,
Kerri