[nfb-db] HKNC

Scott Davert scottdavert at gmail.com
Thu May 23 13:05:24 UTC 2013

Hi all.
I’ve been debating whether to reply to this message, since it may be a
conflict of interest, or I could be accused as such, since I now work
at HKNC. However, the below comments are what I experienced as a
student, and not as someone in my current position working in 2
different departments.
I would agree with the assessment that HKNC sometimes doesn’t
challenge their students enough, and it’s really up to the individual
to push themselves. I have no problems pushing myself, so I was able
to thrive in this environment for the most part. As I was fairly
adjusted to my blindness skills, most of the focus was placed on
compensatory methods for dealing with my hearing loss. For example, a
street crossing card to facilitate the crossing of streets, a
vibrating timer to alert me to when something is done cooking, being
introduced to the vibracall system for alerts to things like the smoke
alarm going off, doorbell, etc. I also learned communication related
things as far as getting new hearing aids, methods of using my FM
system more effectively, etc. But it’s really what you make it. The
worst thing you can do is go to HKNC, without specific goals in mind.
Though I’d say it’s best to have specific goals in mind when using any
training program if at all possible.
Also with technology, I was able to try out a lot of the latest
braille displays to see what notetaker and/or display I wanted. This
was in 2006, so the tech landscape is much different than it was then,
but I was able to try out several different things currently on the
market, and figure out what I liked best. HKNC was then able to put in
a recommendation to my state to get me what I needed to help me
complete graduate school after I left here.
The other good point about HKNC is that you will get 1 on 1 time with
instructors more so than what you’d get at other training facilities.
In general, group classes are not something HKNC does. For an
individual who has both vision and hearing issues, this makes the
learning process go much more smoothly for a variety of reasons. At
least, in my observation and personal experience.
Most training facilities have their good and bad points, HKNC is not
without it’s bad points. The first is that you really need to not let
some of the people treat you like you’re not an adult. Some people,
myself included as a student, had to put certain people in their
place. Part of the reason for this is that there are some students who
have other disabilities or lack of social awareness and so they need
assistance in this area. Sometimes, certain instructors seem to forget
that there are those among us who get along in society and who can
take responsibility for ourselves. This is something I’m working with
other deaf-blind staff to try and address. Another disadvantage is
that HKNC is located in a very isolated area. No sidewalks, no
paratransit to take you from HKNC to the nearest town, etc. You can
take a cab to get to a place where paratransit will pick you up, or to
the train station a few miles away where you can go in to the city,
which is a good travel experience for those needing it. Often times
those who teach mobility need more time to do things because they have
to travel further than a facility located in a city. By far, this is a
terrible place for a rehab agency.
As for the NFB’s stance on such a place, well, I wouldn’t take any
organization’s stance on anything seriously, because they’re not you,
and so they cannot know what is best for you. Only you know that. For
example, I know lots of people who go to places like LCB, CCB, or even
some sate rehab facilities who find one environment much more suitable
than the other. The best you can do is what you are now--- ask
questions of others who have been to these various places and decide
what would be the best situation for you as a person.
I hope this post is informative, and I hope it helps give you a
balanced view of things.

Scott