[nfb-db] Third Question for Deaf-Blind Accessible Voting Focus Group

Scott Davert scottdavert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 15:43:37 UTC 2013

Good morning Lou Ann.
First, I apologize for not being able to answer question no. 2, but it
looks like other list members have pretty much covered everything that
I would have covered.
I agree that braille displays are part of the equation, but there is a
lot more to this. Really, I think the same answers for question 2 can
be said for question 3. Bluetooth or inductance loop technology could
also be a consideration, we have that at most MTA kiosks in the NYC
area. I can explain the technology behind it if needed.
I think the use of iDevices is already in the main stream, I recall
reading an article about someone with a physical disability not being
able to leave her home, so some poll workers took an iPad to her
residence and had her fill out the ballot and then print it on a
wireless printer. This could also be an idea for those who are
deaf-blind. Yes, braille displays are connected via Bluetooth, but
once the pairing is established, it's secure as far as I know. Also,
with the newer Bluetooth standard (4.0), there are ways in which to
design the Bluetooth technology that limit how far the signal will
even carry.

Scott