[nfb-db] DB meeting at Maryland State Convention

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 02:23:16 UTC 2013

Janice,
That is a hard one, do you already have SSP or terps attending the convention? I guess the ideal solution, not necessarily the best for the convention is have those DB people sign up ahead of time, so that terp and or SSP can be found. I guess SSP or terps still could be found, by contacting each DB person individually, to see what their communication needs are. If they need an SSP, find 2 for one person. If the DB person can hear at all, find someone who could be a repeater. For example they might be able to hear the person right next to them, but not the speaker at the front of the room. Another solution, again probably not doable for this years convention. Is something we are trying, is that most hard of hearing persons wear hearing aids, and most of those aids have a T-coil in them. Find a techie person, who can rig up an induction loop system. its fairly easy for a few seats. I have a few links for someone who might understand the technical details. Place any DB person at the front of the room, closest to the spearker, ther person speaking. You could also contact the local Captioning Service to see if they could help, this is a service that the NFB would have to pay for. But the First thing to do is contact each possible DB person who might attend, and see what their communcation needs are. If your giving your presentation to the convention as a whole, all of this might be harder to do. I hope something I have mentioned has helped...

Let us know how it works,

Marsha drenth
Sent with my IPhone