[nfb-db] Adjusting, and a few questions

April Brown aprilbrownwrite at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 19:23:49 UTC 2013

Hello,

     Until a year ago, I mostly ignored my low hearing.  I've worn a
hearing aid for years.  A year ago, my vision suddenly failed
drastically.  Obviously, it was never good to begin with either, and I
never did learn to read lips. I still don't have an official diagnosis
or prognosis.

      Both of these issues have caused me issues in the past.  Even as
my vision fails, and my eye hurts constantly, I still comprehend better
by seeing and reading.  I intend to learn Braille in January.
(Novemeber is a busy month for writers, and December is busy with in laws).

       Many, many years ago, in college, I attempted to take a sign
language course.  I didn't learn a thing.  All I ever saw was motion,
and nothing that made sense.  At the time, I blamed it on the stress of
my life.  Now, I'm not so sure it was just stress. Still, I wish I had
learned!

In the meantime, and in the future, how do I convince doctors, and other
professionals, that an email is better than trying to comprehend a phone
conversation?

To go along with another thread or two, a few times I asked for help on
a blind list I had the "I can call you and talk you though it"
response.  Which is great, except, I don't really comprehend well on the
phone, even from people I know.  Especially if there is any background
sound.  I do appreciate the sentiment.

I'm still very new in this situation, and yes, I'm partially still in
denial, I'm sure.

Thanks,

April Brown