[nfb-db] knew to the list

Janice Toothman janice.toothman at verizon.net
Wed Sep 4 19:08:58 UTC 2013

Hi Heather,
I understand your dilemma. Although I am deaf-blind, I need to learn
tactile ASL and the only way to take it is through ASL classes, which
are expensive and I am on a limited income.  Plus, since my dual
disabilities didn't occur until late in life, people in my life don't
encourage ASL.  However, I am real sorry to hear that you had such a
miserable experience at a deaf-blind meeting. It is through practice
that we build on our skills that we learned so that we hope to master
them.  This is particularly true when it comes to learning a different
language.  Finding people who are willing to help you, sign S-L-O-W-L-Y
to you is key to build a solid foundation and your confidence.

That is terrible that HKNC has not responded; I would have thought that
they had a manual of signs in Braille that described in words how to
form the signs.

  It is awesome that you work with deaf & blind refugees. Are they from
a particular region, conflict, country?
Janice