[nfb-db] Introduction

heather albright kd5cbl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 12:30:31 UTC 2013

Hello, April,  Do you have a case with your department of rehabilitation
services?  They should provide you with equipment to help you!  Do you know
braille and cane travel etc!  Each state should have a center to teach you
skills for ajustment!  I live in Texas and we have the criscole center where
people can go for training to learn blindness skills! However, I went to the
colorado Center for the blind in Denver for my training!  By Federal law,
one can go anywhere to receive their training your local rehab will pay for
it!
If by chance were speaking about Microsoft narrorator with windows, she is
not that great and most people don't like her!  I use NVDA and Jaws for my
screenreaders!  Jaws I like more and NVDA I am still trying to get used too!
If you have hearing trouble, I highly recommend you to learn braille so you
can use a display while writing with the computer!  You can get audio
description to tell you what is going on in tv shows through your SAP
channel!  The catch is you have to find it in your tv's minues and set it
up!  More people know about closed captioning than DVS but if you can find
the SAP, you can get for several shows!  But first obtain a case with your
local rehab agancy and go from there! "Blindness is a characteristic, not a
handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
home and cell and text:
512-680-3985
skype: