[nfb-db] My trip to Seattle for the Washington deaf blind citizens meeting.

Randy Pope randy.pope at aadb.org
Thu Apr 17 15:29:48 UTC 2014

(Sorry to send this message before its time. Randy)

Hi Maurice and all,

About HKNC itself, it really depends on the DB person who attended.  A good
number of HOH DB did have good experience with HKNC along with a very small
DB who's language is ASL.  Like many agencies there is always problems
arising and HKNC is no exception.

Rox has pretty much explained the situation in regards of inclusion of DB
people in the workplace.  However the core or heart of the problem is
service delivery for those ASL DB.  One is communication, lack of
understanding and respect of the Deaf culture's way of life as DB people.
In other words, there is a large group of ASL DBs who are proud of
themselves of being DB.  I'm not saying that they want to be DB but giving
the circumstances the feeling is that they have no choice but to accept
being DB as a culture group and be proud of it.  On the other hand, a good
number of HKNC staff tends to see DB as a medical condition that need
fixing.

Seattle is one of several DB communities who believe DeafBlindness as a
culture.  Many of the DB in Massachusetts, Minnesota, DC and several other
DB communities also hold the same values as Seattle.  I'm one of those
people who hold the same values and proud of it, simply because it is who I
am being a DB person.

I do see a few progress being made and hope it will continue.  At the same
time I have seen that HKNC made one step forward and two steps backward.
It's my hope that the new ED will continue to move  forward with new
strategies that will benefit both HKNC and the DB people and not maintain
the status quo.

Hope this help.

With regards,
Randy Pope