[nfb-db] 10 iPhone Tips You Won't Want to Miss

Marcus Simmons president at map-n.org
Sun Feb 23 00:36:48 UTC 2014

1. Fix an iPhone Freeze
A frozen iPhone can be the end all to communication (or in some cases Temple Run) for you. To revive a frozen iPhone, just hold down the home button and the sleep/wake button for a few seconds and the power off tab will appear. Power off, power on, and you're back in action.

2. Protect Your Hardware
>From running to catch the train, break dance fighting, and even when you're not moving much at all, its easy to have your phone slip right out of your fingertips. Cracked screen again? That'll cost you. Replacing a cracked screen can cost a fortune, and adds another thing on your already mile long to do list. Make sure to protect your hardware with a screen protector and case and you won't have to worry about that dreaded lighting bolt shaped crack infiltrating your screen.

3. Save Battery Life
When your iPhone battery is running low, turning off the following settings can help make your iPhone last longer. Check out this list of quick ways to make your battery last longer:
Settings > Wi-Fi > Off.
Settings > Bluetooth > Off.
Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Off.
Settings > General > Cellular > Enable 3G > Off.
Settings > General > Cellular > Enable LTE > Off.
Settings > Sounds > Vibrate on Ring & Silent > Off.
Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper > Auto-Brightness > Off.
Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > Off.

4. Get to Know Siri and Have Siri Get to Know You.
Siri, your personal assistant is loaded with information and sass. But don't let this virtual assistant get the best of you. Let her know she works for you by customizing her voice and gender. Introduce her to your family, co-workers, and closest friends are, this way when you tell her to call Dad, she knows to dial the number under the "Papa Bear" contact. If that's not enough, If that's not enough Siri can generate random passwords for you, tell you the weather forecast and much more, like answering the worlds most burning questions. Just go ahead and ask her "who let the dogs out?"

5. Activate Text-To-Speech On iPhone
Activate the 'Text-to-Speech' function to let your iOS read out a highlighted article for you. It could be very useful if you want to learn the pronunciation of new words or just want to sit back and let your iPhone read out an article for you while you're driving.

6. Lost & Found
Stolen, lost, stuck under the seat in your car, a missing iPhone can cause panic, hair loss, and even wrinkles. The "Find My iPhone" app can save you hours of blood, sweat, and tears from searching for your missing phone. Just download the app to your phone and computer and let the gps do the searching for you.

7. Take a Picture â?? Fast
When history is unfolding before your eyes â?? or your friend is caught in a compromising position that deserves documentation â?? swiping through apps to find the iPhone camera can result in a missed opportunity. While the lock screen is displayed, two quick clicks of the home button will cause a camera icon to appear along the bottom of the screen. Tapping this new icon sends you straight to the camera. Bonus trick: the volume-up button on the side of the phone will work as a physical shutter button.

8. iMessage Overseas Without the High Fees
iMessage isn't only free within the U.S. â?? it's free across continents. An international data plan can be expensive and texts can cause fees to skyrocket. But for iOS 7 users, iMessage can help avoid unnecessary charges. If you're the one abroad, make sure that you are connected to Wi-Fi. If those blue text bubbles suddenly turn green, that means your phone is starting to send an SMS messages. This can be avoided by going into Messages, under General Settings, and turning off Send As SMS.

9. Display Character Count in Texts For iPhoneless Friends
Not everyone is lucky enough to have an iPhone. You must remember that some people are still living in the stone age of phones where they can only receive texts with 160 characters or less. But don't blame the friend, blame the phone. By turning your character count on, you won't over flow your friends inboxes with out of order texts.

10. Make your iPhone a Personal Hotspot
iPhones with iOS 4.3 and up can turn into wireless routers in just a few simple steps, allowing you to connect your computer, iPod, or other Internet-compatible devices to the phone's wireless connection. Under General Settings, look for Network, then tap "Set Up Personal Hotspot". If this is your first time doing this may show a pop-up message from your service provider.