[nfb-db] nfb-db deaf inclusion

Cherifields at aol.com Cherifields at aol.com
Sat Feb 22 05:06:53 UTC 2014

Hi Marsha,

I attended the Florida deaf-blind Association who are  mostly deaf and non
speaking.  I am deaf=blind, but hearing impaired and it  was a very awkward
situation to be in when I am not sign language  proficient.  Even though I
have other family members who are and do sign,  it doesn't make it a
comfortable situation .  This group here in Florida  have aligned themselves with
the association for the deaf.  The main reason  is that they can get persons
who are proficient in sign language to sign for  them.

We in the NFB Deaf-Blind Division national are trying  to be inclusive.
All our conference calls are on the phone and most of us  have trouble
hearing.  Also until we are able to get more states to include  the deaf-blind by
creating a division, we will have difficulty getting funds to  provide SSP's
and other means to help at our national convention.  The  purchase of some
fm systems was made, but that may not be the answer for  everyone.  Some of
us are getting our own neck loops.

Blessings,

Cheri Fields

In a message dated 2/21/2014 3:33:17 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,