[nfb-db] Special Needs Program at Guiding Eyes

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Sat Mar 1 23:58:41 UTC 2014

Hello, Danielle.

This is Darlene and I am Hard of Hearing and Blind.  I received a special
needs guide from Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind in Smithtown, NY last
September.  She is trained to not only guide me but to alert me of hearing
needs if I don't have my hearing aids on.  For example, the door knocking,
doorbell, phone ringing and much more.  GDF has trained several dogs for
various Deaf-Blind individuals.  One such person is named Bopin and he is
profoundly deaf and blind and does not speak.  He relies solely on sign
language fopr communication.  He got a guide dog from GDF.

I applied for the dog last July and was accepted the following month.  You
can visit their website at www.guidedog.org.  You can also give them a call
and they will be happy to answer any questions that you might have.  They
also provide transportation costs.

I love my new dog and she is amazing at everything that she does. To answer
your question about HKNC, they have an area for your to relieve your guide
and you wlll be responsible for your guide.  I was there in 2011 for eight
months.  For the first six months I had my guide dog (I retired him in
August 2012).  HKNC has many classes and will asses you for your specific
needs and determine what and which classes you will need.  One of those
classes will be Orientation and Mobility, those instructors are well-trained
to understand white cane training and guide dog training.  If you want to
ask more questions, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.
If I don't know the answer I will do my best to find out or refer you to the
person or organization.

However, I would encourage you to contact your HKNC representative and ask
your questions so that your information is current and reliable.  As I said,
at HKNC everyone is trained according to their specific needs so what
training one receives will not necessarily be the one you will receive.

Good luck!
(smile)
Darlene