[nfb-db] No Deaf Blind Floridians Left Behind Registry

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Tue Mar 4 15:15:14 UTC 2014

Hello!

The Florida Deaf-Blind Association (FDBA) is asking all Florida residents of
all ages who have combined vision and hearing loss to complete a Registry
form.  This form will allow us to gather data that will enable us to
approach state legislators for more effective laws and resources and to
obtain funding for our Florida Support Service Program.

What is Florida Support Service Program (FSSP)?

FSSP will recruit and train sighted individuals over the age of 18 to be
Support Service provderes.  FSSP Training Workshops will be made available
throughout Florida.  Our next workshop will be held Saturday, April 26, 2014
at the Lighthouse of Central Florida in Orlando.  Please visit our website
to register for this workshop.
What is Support Service Provider (SSP)?

A SSP will sight-guide, relay visual information, assist in communication
needs (voice or sign) and provide transportation.  An extra set of 'eyes'
and 'ears' to promote independence for Self-Sufficiency.  For example, the
SSP will guide the Deaf-Blind (DB) person into a room.  As they walk, the
SSP will give visual information to the DB person so that he/she can know
what is available for them.  After entering the room, the SSP will say
'There is a chair on your left and a man/woman (if name is known, Mr. Smith)
is standing to your right."  This will give the DB person the ability to
make a decision.should I sit?  Or should I speak to that person?  The SSP
does not make the choices for him/her.the DB person will have to tell the
SSP what he/she wants.

Sound too good to be true?  Yes, it is very true.  I experienced my first
SSP while attending Helen Keller National Center in New York and, believe
me, it was liberating!  Currently there are over 30 states in the United
States that have SSP program.  There is ahuge need for it in Florida.

The No Deaf Blind Floridians Left Behind Registry will allow FDBA to
determine statistics:  how many, where the need is, what type of
communication needs, and also give us demographics; such as age and gender,
for legislative and funding purposes

We have also approached several organizations in Florida to help us to
spread the word.  These organizations are Division of Blind Services,
Vocational Rehabilitation, Lighthouses throughout Florida and many others.

Now, we are asking you to please share this information.  Here are the step
by step instructions to three forms that are available on our website:

1)        To complete the Online Form, click on this link:

                        www.fldeafblind.org/stepbystep.html

2)        To choose a form to print and complete by hand or to fill in a
document    electronically to    save as a file to send an
attachment, click on this link:

                        www.fldeafblind.org/registry.html

Please be assured that your personal information will be kept confidential.
NO personal information will be released to the public.  Only Demographics
will be used for reporting purposes in our goals to obtain resources.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me:

            dlcrowe at fssp.fldeafblind.org

SPREAD THE WORD!  No Deaf Blind Floridian Left Behind.jpg

Darlene Laibl-Crowe

fssP Logo 2012JUL.jpgFSSP Coordinator
Florida Deaf-Blind Association
www.fldeafblind.org

RELAYING SELF-SUFFICIENCY

'Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of
trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition
inspired, and success achieved'
                                                                ~ Helen
Keller