[nfb-db] Hearing Aids

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Fri Mar 21 13:52:09 UTC 2014

I've worn hearing aids since I was a child and I can tell you that the new
models of HAs are wonderful!  I've had Siemens before and still have my old
ones as a backup.  When I went to HKNC I was introduced to Phoneak and the
assistive devices that are paired with them and they are absolutely amazing.

I got a new pair of HAs about 3 to 4 weeks ago with the updated ComPilot,
Mic and TV link.  I've used the Mic at the gym and my trainer speaks into it
so I can hear what she has to say; however, it also picks up much of the
background so there is much to be done about that.  I am scheduled to go
back to my audiologist for follow up and adjustments next week.  I have not
used the TV link yet but hope to soon.  The ComPilot is a Bluetooth neck
loop that is paired to anything that has Bluetooth capacity:  Laptop,
iPhone, Cell Phone, Tablets, Braille Displays and on.  But it is not
accessible to landline phones unless you get one that has Bluetooth
capacity.  Not sure what brands have that ability.

I use an iPhone which works well as speaker phone and I can hear clearly
with my ComPilot.  What does the ComPilot do?  It is like those ear pieces
that hearing people use when driving...hands free.  The caller's voice goes
right into the ear and no phone to the ear.  When I receive a call, all I
have to do is push a button on the neck loop that is hanging around my neck
and say 'hello'.  There is a mic at the top of that button and it picks up
your voice.  Then when the caller speaks the sound goes right into my
hearing aids.  The sound is clear because some of the background noise has
been muted so I am able to focus on the caller.  It isn't perfect but it is
much better than putting the phone to the ear or using the landline without
clarity.  There are lots of brand out there and some have the same devices.
Just have to do your homework and ask questions.

Also, another fact, my range of hearing loss is at different ranges, when
the area of loss is programmed into the HAs, it brings those sounds into the
range that you can hear.  So you are picking up sounds that you have heard
before or haven't heard in a long time.  When I was little my hearing loss
was mild to moderate and as I grew up I lost more hearing.  Now it is Severe
to Profound loss.

Another important factor when looking into HAs providers is that they are
knowledgeable about their products.  If you have someone that doesn't know
how to turn it on or what the devices do then you obviously have someone who
doesn't understand your needs.  It is okay to be selective and ask
questions.

Like someone told me...there is no dumb question!  You don't know until you
ask.

Hope this helps those looking for Hearing Aids.

Have a Fabulous Friday!

(smile)
Darlene

"God wants to breathe new life into your dreams. He wants to breathe new
hope into your heart. Don't give up. Hold on and you'll begin to see Him do
amazing things"
   ~               Joel Osteen