[nfb-db] Guide Dog Expenses

Shadow Wolf soulalibi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 18:26:55 UTC 2014

I think you took my comment out its context and misunderstood my point.
I wasn't admonishing you per your experience or background. I never
bothered bringing your background or experiences up. Let alone was I
talking about YOU personally. I don't know who you are or what your name
is. That's not the case where I'm getting at.  And there were no "poor
judgements" on my end. My comment is just based around common sense. And
I only gave a piece of mind from a perspective of those who never used a
guide dog before, like myself. You should read carefully what I said.
Once again, I was not talking about you.

I hope that clarifies the misunderstanding.

-S.W.

On 3/27/2014 11:12 AM, The Pawpower Pack wrote:
> Hello sw,
> I never said people should train their own dog.  I said I did, and you have no idea of my experience level, or my background.
> I have been the dog training business for the last 13 years, I am a certified herbalist who's practice focuses specifically on dogs.  I am a canine massage therapist, have run a day care for dogs, and have trained for service work as well as herding and agility.  If you'd have asked me this, I would have told you, however, it's not wise to make judgements about someone's skill set.  Deafblind people can have all kinds of jobs.
> And my dogs are safe and good workers.  My last service dog was named service animal of the year by the governor of my state.  So yes, a person given the right training, and desire and skill set can do whatever they set their mind to doing.  What disabilities they have usually do not stop them.
>

> Rox'E and the Kitchen Bitches
> Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil
> “America has only three cities:  New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans.  Everywhere else is Cleveland.” –Tennessee Williams
> pawpower4me at gmail.com
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Mar 27, 2014, at 1:00 PM, Shadow Wolf <soulalibi at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Not all DBs have the capability to train their own dogs. This is especially true for first timers. DBs who have never worked with a guide dog before. It's not a good idea to train your own dog to become your own personal service animal. It takes resources, effort, time and years to train a dog. What commands work and what doesn't work. What breeds are best and how to care for etc. Guide Dog training schools offer more than how to use a guide dog.  You may like "total control". But sometimes it's not always a good idea to do things on your own.
>>
>> --S.W.
>>> On 3/27/2014 10:23 AM, The Pawpower Pack wrote:
>>> it depends on which program you choose— not all will work with DB people, some with work with DB who have HA or CI but not ASL users.
>>> Also, keep in mind, the more the program pays for medical costs, the less say the owner has in the choices— or at least that has been my experience. And if that doesn't bother you, that's great.
>>> I train my own dog, so I pay for everything. But I also have absolute control over everything! Which I like, because lets face it, I'm all about the control, lol
>>>

>>> Rox'E and the Kitchen Bitches
>>> Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil
>>> “America has only three cities:  New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans.  Everywhere else is Cleveland.” –Tennessee Williams
>>> pawpower4me at gmail.com
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>> --
>> *~Shadow Wolf~*