[nfb-db] DB Division Officers and Outreach

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 22:45:56 UTC 2015

Maurice,
I am sorry to hear about your continued hearing loss. This is very similair to vision loss, in that every time you lose a little more, you have to readjust. Its frustrating to say the least.
I am a proponent of going to HKNC. I was just like you several years ago, losing hearing, looking for a career, but not knowing where to go, who to listen to, and or what to do. I was a full time student at a major university, struggling, and not doing a very good job at ignoring the reality of my situation. One day, my state blindness agency staff and the HKNC rep sat me down and said, you really need to think about going to HKNC. My first question, was why, but their answer was somethinjg I already knew. My second reaction, was absolutely Hell No. I was on a track and my goal was to get to that point. Over the summer I got new hearing aids, and although they helped, it was only a bandaid. I over that whole summer went around and around about how I didn't want to go, how I would have to take a whole year out of my life, I would be leaving home, going to a new place, son and on. I went to HKNC for a tour, I did not like it, people were nice but it was different and so were the students. During that same tour, I had lunch in the lunch room, sat a table with other people who were deafblind. With one person, I could hear fine, two people a little harder, three people no longer could hear at all. We spent the lunch period, saying what did you say, can you repeat that. A light bulb went off in my head, I was just like these people, and that they were not different from me. I still sturggled with the decision. My counselor did the application even if I didn't want her to. It was submitted. And I got a class date in November. I go off to HKNC, at first I thought I knew what the classes I wanted to take were, and some of them were correct, but others I had no clue until I got into them. I was a blind person for my entire life, so I had blindness skills. I already knew braille, how to cook, and how to use a commputer. The difference is that, all of the different techniques that a deafblind person learns. Going to HKNC opened up doors, gave me a whole new world. You have to go there and make every minute, class, technique, information, and relationship worth wild. I pushed the staff to go above and beyond what they would normally teach a deafblind person. I was able to complete my training in 9 months, even after having some major health set backs. I enrolled back into my university degree in the fall. And found that life was much easier, there was not much of a struggle. I came out of HKNC more confident in myself, my abilities, what I needed, and how to deal with my deafblindness. I was able to graduate and was hired soon after.
So my point is, if you have high goals, going to HKNC will help you reach those goals.
This is my experience, if you chose not to go to HKNC then that is fine, if you do then GREAT!

Marsha drenth
email: marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sent with my IPhone
Please note that this email communication has been sent using my iPhone. As such, I may have used dictation and had made attempts to mitigate errors. Please do not be hesitant to ask for clarification as necessary.