[NFB-DB] Family to Family Connect

Catherine Miller guillcat at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 20:36:38 UTC 2017

Lisa, Rox, Janice, and Jack:
This may surprise you guys, but I completely agree!  My family was the worst culprit.  Both my parents and my only sibling are deceased now, and I am still rebelling against the shackles of my childhood.  That is why I am trying to help parents and professionals to understand the capabilities of Deafblind children, to improve the future of deafblind people.

If you recognize, as I do, that parents and professionals are operating in a vaccuum, then you also know that they need advocates who are deafblind themselves, adult role models, and examples of successful deafblind adults to show them the possibilities.  They are not educated about deafblind people unless we extend ourselves to show them what deafblindness looks like.

The reason these families bond together in communities like this is because they are lost, they are confused and don't have any models for their child's future possibilities.  Yes, I shudder too, and I shuddered many times over the course of the series when I listened to these parents.  They need help, and they need hope.

If you are not interested in helping and in building deafblind community across the generation gap, then it's not for you.  please just ignore.  If you're one of those souls who are willing to extend themselves to teach others about the meaning of deafblindness, then the information is right here for you to explore.  If you put your foot in the water, you will find it warm with grateful families who are delighted that you have joined them.

Cathy

Sent from my iPad