[NFB-DB] Looking For Methods To Help The Deaf-Blind At meetings

Louis Maher ljmaher03 at outlook.com
Wed Apr 4 17:27:05 UTC 2018

Thank you Marsha.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838
E-mail ljmaher03 at outlook.com

From: Marsha Drenth <marsha.drenth at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 12:13 PM
To: NFB Deaf-Blind Division Mailing List <nfb-db at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Louis Maher <ljmaher03 at outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [NFB-DB] Looking For Methods To Help The Deaf-Blind At meetings

The only software you mentioned below that is accessible on an iphone or idevice is Skype Business, otherwise none of those things are accessible.

So a few other thoughts, Deafblind persons who have a more hearing loss, who also use ASL or tactile ASL will require interpreters. Intrepretors can be expensive, and have to be scheduled through an agency or contracted privately with. Again, this option is for folks who use sign language for communication. Others have used CART, Communication access in real time, this also contracted out, but does cost a fee. There are agecyies that can have the CART output to a braille display. This would require that the person who is DeafBlind know braille. In some cases the person who is DeafBlind only needs an SSP. That person then repeats the spoken language. A meeting setting would not be appropriate for an ssp to interpret, especially if there are financial and or business information included. There are intrepretors called voice interpretors, someone who is trained to repeat word for word the spoken language. An SSP can help with not only meetings but all the other things that go along with meetings, like sighted guide, going to and from the bathroom, setting and gathering environmental information and much more. But not all DeafBlind persons need that. I have also seen and experienced meetings in places where there was a induction loop, so that those persons with T-coils in there hearings aids can hear when a person speaks into a microphone. Again this requires that the room be already fitted for a inductive loop and that there is an audio person who can set this up, maintain the system during the meeting and can help with passing the microphone. this also requires that persons, if they want to speak have to have the mic, if persons speak over each other they are not heard by the DeafBlind person. I have also seen other DeafBlind persons who have used FM systems that also tie into their hearing aids. As well as other listening devices. In some cases a DeafBlind person who uses hearing aids might solve their problem of not hearing everyone too. Each of these solutions have good and bad things about them.

I Hope that helps

Marsha drenth
email: marsha.drenth at gmail.com<mailto:marsha.drenth at gmail.com>
Sent with my IPhone
Please note that this email communication has been sent using my iPhone. As such, I may have used dictation and had made attempts to mitigate errors. Please do not be hesitant to ask for clarification as necessary.