[NFB-DB] Looking For Methods To Help The Deaf-Blind At meetings

Scott Davert scottdavert at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 19:08:59 UTC 2018

Hi Louis.
The simple answer is that no one solution will work for every person
who has a form of deaf-blindness. I have spent years wishing for such
a system, but it does not exist. If you are a low vision person, or if
you were at one point, the analogy I'm presenting may help. With folks
who are low vision, some prefer less lighting in a room, while others
need more. Some may prefer a specific type of contrast for printed
materials. All people with low vision see differently and thus require
different types of accommodations. The same is true with people who
have varying degrees of both vision and hearing loss, yet it's even
more complicated because you have 2 different variables to contend
with. For example, if I'm a low vision user who is also totally deaf
and has been using ASL all of my life, typed English is probably not
going to work for me because English is not my first language. ASL has
an entirely different grammatical structure than English. As Roxè
pointed out, there are also people who prefer ASL only for their
preferred method of communication. At the same time, if another person
comes to a meeting who is hard of hearing and has lost all usable
vision later in life, they may not be able to use braille or large
print. They may require the use of an assistive listening device. The
best advice I can give is to approach each situation on a case by case
basis.
As a side note, it is not possible to connect multiple braille
displays through Bluetooth to one device. However, on the Mac
operating system, you can connect over 20 different braille displays
through USB at the same time. Which would be great, but think of all
of those wires. Smiles. I understand that I and all the others who
have replied have turned what seemed like a simple question in to a
very complex answer, but I hope you have found the info helpful.

Best of luck,
Scott
Sent from my iPhone