[NFB-DB] Cochlear Implant Advise

Gene Richburg gene5402 at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 9 21:10:06 UTC 2018

Hi Eric;
I have had my CI for about 3 years now, and I’m still adjusting to it.
One thing about these, the experience is different for everyone.
Some people only need one year, two adjust while other peoples brains take longer.
I got the advanced bionics because they are able to create virtual frequencies that other CI developers supposedly are not able to do yet, so the idea is, once you get adjusted to it, or your son, for that matter, he will be able to hear more with that one than with cochlear america.
Also Advanced bionics also has an accessory called the aqua case, this little box allows the ZI processor to become waterproof, because the case seals and locks shut, so then you have a cable that plugs into the case, and that cable plugs in to the processor, then the head piece has a microphone that the audiologist has to set up in the programming so that the processor will know to use that microphone and not the microphone on the processor.
I have also been told that it is also possible to listen to music with the Advanced bionics CI, how ever, people who ware the nucleus processors from cochlear america are able to listen to music, but the Advanced bionics implants are suppose to pick up the softer sounds that the other CIs are not able to perceive.
over all, the CI is gonna sound very distorted like a radio off the station, and everything may sound very unfamiliar for a little while, some people say voices sound like cartoon characters for a few days.
There are some doctors or surgeons that are uncomfortable with implanting there patients with advanced bionics implants because the electro array is a little heavier than the other implants.
So, I guess I was fortunate enough to have a very experience cergant to do mine.
It’s also worth noting that depending on his cochlea whither he will even be able to have all of the electrodes inserted.
The advanced bionics implant has fewer electrodes than the cochlear america CIs, and it does take a better skilled curgent to do the Advanced bionics implants.
Also, I have a hearing aid  on my right side and the CI on the left, and because of the differences between the two, it is harder to tell direction because of the imbalance between the way the two devices are allowing me to hear.
If I had waited about a year later, I would have gotten a free hearing aid with my CI, as Advanced bionics  has started doing that now, because the hearing aid they provide follows the programming of the processor, meaning when ever you change a program on The implant processor, the hearing aid would follow that.
If you want, you can ask me any other questions you want, let me know if you would like me to give you my email or phone number, either one would be OK, however, if we need to have a longer conversation, a phone call might be more appropriate.
Thanks Gene

Sent from my iPhone