[NFB-DB] Cochlear Implant Advise

Eric V icdxvfamily at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 20:11:26 UTC 2018

Hi Scott,
Thank you for the thoughtful & detailed response.
Our son Petras is on board with pursing a CI, but we are still in our early
phase of learning about all this. We have spoken formally & informally with
several audiologists & 1 CI neurotology surgeon so far. A more formal
evaluation is being set up & we plan to meet with a few other neurotology
surgeons as well & carefully assess the device options.
Petras is 17 now & will ultimately the the one who makes the final decision
about if to proceed, with which device & team, & the timing of it.
Its a big decision with lots of details to pay attention to.
We don't want to rush in, but nor do we want to wait until it becomes more
urgent.
As background, I'm a physician - clinical & researcher - technically a
pediatrician, though my focus is very sub-specialized to just inflammatory
bowel disease (Crohn's disease & ulcerative colitis). I am used to
technical medical reading & am also very aware of how much of the spectrum
of true expertise & skill of those practicing in the medical field,
especially when it comes to rare or very sub-specialized areas. Hearing &
CIs are outside of my sphere of expertise, so there is a lot to learn &
consider.
Patient/user perspectives & insights often differ from those of physicians
& other medical professionals, thus we really appreciate all that everyone
in the Blind DeafBlind Division has to offer.
As we move forward with this, we will also happily tap in to advice on
strategies to help Petras in the interim.
Thanks again.
Eric