[NFB-DB] Cochlear Implant Advise

Chris Westbrook westbchris at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 01:50:19 UTC 2018

I think you are doing the right thing ERic. I know for me i have been very
hesitant to get a cochlear implant because of the risk inherent with any
surgery. I do pretty well with hearing aids though, so that makes the
decision a little easier. As far as strategies for managing things in the
interim/even post surgery should that be the route you guys pursue, I would
say a few things to keep in mind would be to find a great audiologist you
can trust for one. It doesn't even have to be an audiologist at a big
university hospital etc., I have a local audiologist here and she is
awesome. I also know that social situations with large groups of people can
be challlenging for me, so I choose to try to be in smaller gatherings
whenever possible. I attend a smaller church prefer quieter restaurants,
etc. I do turn down some opportunities at times, but my friends understand.
I am still able to live a fulfilling life as a deaf blind individual. I
hope this is somewhat helpful.,