[NFB-DB] cochlear implant experiences

Gene Richburg gene5402 at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 5 00:13:04 UTC 2019

Yeah, and for the internal component, it looks like a rubbery thing, but
it's actually made out of a jell, I got to feel of one at an event one
time, the internal component has electrodes that are kind of hexagon shaped.

The process is this, the Sergent will make an insition on your head,
then have to drill holes in the cochlea depending on how many electrodes
the brand of ci you go with, which, of course will injure the cochlea,
which will leave you with out any hearing on that side, then they make
what I would refer to as an armature magnetic field, kind of like the
way a motor is constructed.

What happens with a motor, is that you have the grind wheel, this is the
part of the motor that turns when it's running, so, it has a few of
these flat medal round pieces that have three openings on them, then,
you take some copper wire and rap it around, evenly around all of these
three openings, and then somehow, secure the end of the wire so that it
doesn't come undone.

So, that's kind of how the internal component of the implant works, once
you connect the outside magnetic head piece to the inside magnet that
goes to the internal component, the mic picks up sound, it's processed
through the processor, then it's transmitted through the rf cable to the
coil on the head piece, which sends it through the two magnets, and then
through the electrodes in the cochlea which are connected to the main
auditory nerve.

hope that answers your question.