[NFB-DB] May 2021 Newsletter

Maggie Stringer ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Thu May 20 13:17:10 UTC 2021

National Federation of the Blind
Community Service Division
May 2021 Newsletter
“Beyond The Six Dots”
We use a white cane, slate & stylus, and screen readers in between,
We read from the left, write from the right, and will tap tap onto any scene.
We want our communities to know what we’ve got, a commitment to serve,
Beyond the Six Dots!”

Are you the next Community Service Division Idol?
Learn the Community service Jingle Lyrics. Practice it with friends
and family. Finally, zoom into the division national seminar prepared
to blow the judges away with the passion and love in your voice for
service.
 Please sing along with us!
“We are the community service.
Helping all over the land.
We are the community service
Helping all that we can
Because we are
the community service
We are the community service.
Inviting you to join in the plan
We are the community service
A part of the NFB clan
SERVING AND LIVING
ALL BECAUSE WE CAN.”
 Written by Board Member, Ms. Samuel JoNita Gates

ROLLING OUT THE RED CARPET
2021 Community Service Project
Collection deadline June 4th, 2021
“Give A Little”
Our newest community service project. It’s an opportunity to bring
smiles, hope, encouraging words, and warmth to the Ronald McDonald
House Charity in Maryland! This is a home away from home for seriously
ill children and their families.
What We Need?
SMILES times 2!
We are writing notes of encouragement to the families and children
staying at the Ronald McDonald House
(Please refrain from any religious messaging.  If you’re going to
braille your letters, please include a companion print copy.)
WARMTH times 4!
We are providing comfort to the families and children by collecting
new blankets.  These cozy and warm throws should be child safe and
brand new.

DEADLINE JUNE 4th
Ship Items To:
Jeanetta Price
8035 San Bruno Street
Beaumont, Texas 77708
For more information send an email to Jeanetta Price at:
price.jeanetta at gmail.com
Give a hug with,
SMILES & WARMTH!!!!

#StrongerTogether Challenge
Share your service with us, double tap on the link and get involved!
Say it with me, “Challenge accepted!” We can’t stop, won’t stop
serving! The NFB Community Service Division thanks you for accepting
the challenge. We have experienced some testing times during this
pandemic, which is a prime example of us being #StrongerTogether as we
spread the power of giving anywhere and everywhere. Service can
certainly start here and continue here with our division’s challenge.
This challenge will help keep us united in service throughout our
various neighborhoods across our country.  What follows is a
questionnaire designed to collect detailed information of your
volunteer efforts starting January 1, 2021 through June 30, 2021.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe8HWsUDqzaairJZg1p_RcFe3pFemWYDXXSatdaG_n6AjeTiw/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0&usp=mail_form_link&usp=embed_facebook

2020 COMMUNITY SERVICE DIVISION CHALLENGE WINNER
Miranda Borka’s Refection
As a volunteer crisis counselor, I received 30 hours of training. My
experience with the training platform as someone who is visually
impaired and uses assistive technology was pretty positive. In the
areas where the technology did not cooperate, I utilized Aira at a
free Aira free access location to complete those inaccessible portions
of training. Overall, the training was comprehensive. The support I
have received prior to, during, and following my training has been
top-notch. My coach is always available to answer questions when I am
not actively engaging with texters on the platform. My fellow crisis
counselors and supervisors have also been a welcoming wealth of
knowledge and support on the platform as well. Supervisors are mental
health professionals, and as someone pursuing my master’s in social
work, this encourages me as I enter the profession. There are numerous
tools and resources that are updated frequently to further aid crisis
counselors in engaging our texters. Crisis counselors are encouraged
and motivated to grow, and organizational leadership has been
receptive to making necessary changes to embrace overall growth and
development.

POP FROM THE TOP
The NFB COMMUNITY SERVICE DIVISION is proud to announce that we are
popping in service all over the world. Our annual fundraiser begins on
Tuesday, June 15-19, 2021 at 5PM EASTERN TIME. Proceeds gained from
this fundraiser will support the efforts of the federation in addition
to help promote the Community Service Division projects. With that
being said, get your popcorn ready, 'cause the Community Service
Division is going to show everyone everywhere that we can’t stop and
won’t stop POPPING! I pop, you pop, we all pop for Double Good Gourmet
Delicious Popcorn.
Please contact Gloria Nathan-Cherry “The Popcorn Lady” for more
information at (215)-971-6650.
Love is sharing your popcorn, and sharing is caring so let’s pop in
the name of love.

CREATE WHAT YOU IMAGINATE
The Community Service Division is calling on all visionaries! Our
‘Beyond The Six Dots’ newsletter title is missing one thing; a
fabulous logo! I’m glad you are wondering what this means to you. We
want your help in creating the best logo to pair with our newsletter
title. Draw it, paint it, stencil it, however you do it, dream it then
share it! All creations need to be submitted by June 30th! The final
selection will be announced in July during the virtual national
convention! Fabulous logo ideas are to be emailed to:
ravensfan784 at gmail.com with the subject line, ‘Logo Submission’. We
can’t wait to see what your imagination creates!

THE IMPACT OF WAR
On May 31st, 2021, we will remember the brave men and women who made
the ultimate sacrifice while serving our country. Presidents,
politicians, public figures and foreign dignitaries will lay wreaths
on thousands of tombs of the Unknown soldiers in Arlington National
Cemetery. As we remember and honor our heroes, we want to count our
blessings and stand proud of our service members. We have freedom
because of courageous individuals like Lee Martin Senior of Indiana.
After serving in the Vietnam war, he attended Indiana State University
where he took business courses and went into management. His
experience and work ethics led him to pursue other opportunities in
Indianapolis, Indiana where he resides today. He worked for Daimler
Chrysler for seven years as a Foundry Technician and Safety
Coordinator prior to losing his eyesight.  Lee lost his sight to a
condition called sclerotic. His condition, however, did not stop him
from continuing his efforts to fight for the rights of others. His
federal lawsuit was featured in The Indianapolis Star newspaper,
Braille Monitor as well as the Indiana Business Journal for employment
discrimination. He continues his activism doing presentations around
the state of Indiana to the general public and to the blind community
to engage, encourage and inspire Indiana citizens to pursue their
inalienable rights.  As president of the Circle City Chapter of the
National Federation of the Blind, Lee and his chapter brings awareness
to the urban community with outreach initiatives with, churches,
community centers, summer youth camps, support groups, Town Hall
meetings etc.
Lee Martin Senior is an admirable leader not only in the blind
community, but in the community at-large. A true inspiration of
resilience despite the unforeseen circumstances he was faced with. His
philosophy is that “this is a gift of blindness” that was given to do
the work God intended. We are honored to call Lee Martin Senior an
American veteran and have been blessed by his invaluable contribution
to the blind community.

This Memorial Day, we invite you to take a moment of silence at 3:00
pm EST as we remember those who courageously gave their lives.

WE’VE GOT SUNSHINE!
We believe there is power in the ability to laugh. Here’s your
sunshine for the month of May celebrations!
National Barbecue Month
“I was at a barbecue party when a cow from a nearby farm charged me
and chased me into a corner. It was at that moment I realized my life
was at steak!”

MAXIMIZE THE FLAVOR
Recipe for BBQ BABY BACK RIBS
by Marvin Griffin “Griff the Great!”

Prep Time: I don’t know? LOL
Cook Time: Nice and slow
Ingredients:
1 slab baby back pork ribs
yellow mustard
BBQ rub (your favorite)
brown sugar
bourbon
apple juice.
1.    Rinse slab and pat dry with paper towels. Using a butterknife
Remove membrane from backbones of ribs. This allows the seasoning to
set in the meat between the bones.
2.     Squeeze a line of mustard onto the ribs as a binder.  This helps
the BBQ rub to stick.
3.     Sprinkle the BBQ rub, liberally, on both sides of rib.
4.     Lightly coat both sides with brown sugar.
5.      Allow the ribs to sit out for about 30 minutes. This allows the
meat to get to room temperature which gives a more evenly cooked slab
of ribs.
6.      Set your grill up to maintain a temperature of 225 degrees F. Add
wood splits or chunks (pecan, apple, hickory, or whatever your
preference is). This adds a great smoke flavor to the meat!
7.      Allow the meat to continue to smoke for at least 2 ½ to 3 hours,
checking the temperature with your meat thermometer. The desired
cooked temperature for pork is around 160°F.
8.     Make a fifty-fifty mixture using your favorite bourbon and apple
juice, then pour into a spray bottle.
9.      While the ribs are on the smoker, you will use this mixture to
spray the meat every 30 minutes or so. This will allow the meat to
stay moist while it cooks.
10.      Once the meat reaches the desired temperature, then you can wrap
the ribs in a heavy-duty aluminum foil. Before you close the foil
completely, add a little bit more of the bourbon apple juice mixture
around the ribs. Wrapping these ribs will allow them to continue to
absorb the flavor and moisture as the ribs continue to cook.
11.     Allow the ribs to smoke for an additional 2 hours. You also have
the option to finish cooking the ribs in an oven at the same
temperature.
12.     To check if the ribs are ready to eat, the little bones at the
end of the rib should be sticking out about an inch or so.
13.     Ribs are done! If you want extra sauce, add a little more BBQ
sauce, then place the ribs back on the grill or in the oven for 7 to
10 more minutes.
Bon Appetit!!

“I GOT IT FROM MY MAMA” Community Service Division May meeting
reflections of how our mothers influenced our community service.

Kamille Richardson’s reflection
The community service division of the National Federation of the Blind
recently hosted A Mother’s Day event entitled “I got it from my Mama.”
President Jeanetta Price, who also served as the hostess with the
mostest, headed up this momentous occasion with her grace and a flair
that is uniquely her own. participants in the program were given 90
seconds to reflect on their mother and how she influenced them to
serve in their community. A few of us even brought our own mamas into
the festivities so they could add their 90 seconds of flavor to the
mix. I was honored to speak about my mother and how she has made such
a tremendous impact on my life and the lives of others. I was also
grateful that she was able to share her story as well. I was moved to
tears while listening to my fellow members reflect on the beautiful
contributions of their mother. There were also plenty of door prizes
sprinkled throughout the program. This event was fit for the queens
that are our mothers.

Misty Hagan’s Reflection
I am very blessed to have had an opportunity to talk about the three
inspirational women in my life. I shared how I cannot see myself being
the woman that I am today without their love & kindness. I asked my
son, Joshua, if he would join the ‘I Got It From My Mama’ event. He
was so moved by the stories; he surprised me and spoke at the event.
To hear him say, “I love you, Mom! You are my best friend and I will
always look at you as my role model. You chose to be my Mom; I am so
lucky you did.” I was at a loss for words when I heard him speak. I
could not have asked for a better gift.

Gloria Nathan-Cherry Reflection
I would like to thank Ms. Jeanetta Price for giving me the opportunity
to share my mother, Ms. Georgia Ann Nathan during the “I Got It From
My Mama“ program.  This was bitter sweet for me because my mother
passed away 23 years ago but I really enjoyed reflecting on some of
the things that she instilled in me. Her teaching taught me the
importance of community service and volunteering to help others. I
can still hear her saying, “Sharing is caring” and “Caring is sharing.
I will always remember that these words show how important it is to
make time for others.
                In Loving Memory of
             “Mrs. Irene Townsend”
                A Celebration of life!
On behalf of the Community Service Division, we send our deepest
condolences to Talana Townsend and your family. We thank you so much
for sharing your mother with all of us during our program, “I got it
from my MAMA!” You spoke of your mother with so much love, passion,
admiration, and respect till we all felt like we knew her by the end
of your presentation. It was wonderful to hear a young woman reflect
back on all of the positive things that her mother had instilled in
her life. We all know that these qualities will remain with you all
throughout your life, and we are grateful that you shared with us the
wonderful woman who instilled all these values in you.
Written by Gloria Nathan-Cherry
Words of encouragement
The season of transitioning to a perfect place of peaceful rest. We
want to encourage you to keep speaking boldly about your mom, and how
she influenced your service to others. We will continue to keep your
family in prayer. We love you and God Bless! “What we once have
enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes part of
us.”– Helen Keller

Mental Health Awareness Month
KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Contributors: Rachele Tibbs, Brooke Motes, Marlene Wilson
Being a housewife, you come to expect certain life adjustments. The
ten-year-old fell off his bike and fractured his third base throwing
arm. The five-year-old turns out to be allergic to bees and the
nearest hospital is an hour away. The husband is supposing to pick up
the family from the dental office, but the car breaks down on the
highway. No need to panic, Moms do what Moms do. They quickly spin
through their mental rolodex and find the best solution for their
family. All of my life.  I watched my own Mom, Aunts, and Grandmas do
whatever it took to take care of our family” Marlene recalls. But
then, one day the news media started using alien words like pandemic,
COVID-19, corona virus, and stay at home orders. Without warning
panic, confusion and mass chaos ensued the entire world!

Families far and wide had no choice but to buckle down and find ways
to pull their loved ones through these unprecedented times. Brooke
didn’t expect to become her kids home-school teacher. Rachele felt she
was putting her Mom at risk every time she came home from working at
the grocery store. And Marlene never thought she would have to make
the choice between having food in the cupboard or using the last of
the money to pay rent. For most of 2020, it felt like this virus was
determined to shake this planet to its core.

How do we remain positive, strong, healthy, and resilient during this
pandemic? Rachele started making yoga and meditation a priority in her
fay-to-day routine. “It helps remove the everyday stresses of life and
allows me to focus on being calm.” For Brooke, working out has given
her energy and has helped her to feel better about her body and
overall health. “I use a smart app that is very descriptive with all
its workouts, along with my light weights and treadmill machine.”
Marlene found renewed strength in power walking with her church
family. “I don’t mind wearing the mask just as long as we can continue
to fellowship together!”
These beautiful Moms knew they had to be proactive or the world’s
worries were going to swallow them whole. They had come too far in
life to keep allowing a pandemic to shelter them from happiness or
self-confidence. Brooke, Marlene, and Rachele took charge by setting
personal goals for themselves. And decided it was long overdue for
some Me time! In doing so, they have rediscovered joy, hope, love,
peace, and forgiveness. These empowered women found ways to keep moving forward!
MOVING FORWARD CHECKLIST
-    Treat yourself with kindness and respect.
-    Listen to what your body needs.
-    Surround yourself with the best people.
-    Volunteer your time and energy.
-    Learn how to deal with stress.
-    Make time for quiet
-    Set realistic goals for yourself
-    Don’t be afraid of change

TURNING TRADEGY INTO TRIUMPH
By Jason Jones
For the past 15 months, this world has witnessed great loss on a scale
never experienced in our lifetime.  Yes, we do experience the loss of
a loved one from time to time.  However, this pandemic has shown me
that life is very precious and should not be taken lightly.  People
may ask: why does the Lord allow such tragedy to occur at once?
There are times where the Lord will use a major event in life to
instantly grab our attention.  How do we turn such great tragedy into
triumph? The first thing we need to remember is that just because a
pandemic is taking place, does not mean God’s plan changes for your
life.  I always remember to count my blessings even more now than
ever.  Let us also remember to love on each other even more due to
life being so precious. Take the time to remember all of the positives
in your life each day. The best way to overcome tragedy is to face it.
There is no need to fear that which the Lord has given us the power to
beat.  Since this pandemic started, I have realized each moment is a
gift. Remember that all victory is based on overcoming any tragedy
in life.  I know for certain that the light is staring us in the face
in terms of the pandemic coming to an end.  The Lord will continue to
see us through the situation no matter the intensity.  I love you all,
and continue to keep your eyes on Christ.

‘Represent Your State’
Utah State Convention
June 3rd to June 5th, 2021
Location: Hybrid - Sheraton, Salt Lake City and on Zoom
For more information, please visit nfbutah.org/info.
Save these dates! Don’t be late, make sure you clear your slate and
serve with style!

RESOURCES
You are not alone. Help is available. If you are in crisis and need
help immediately, please consult one of the following toll-free
national hotlines or contact your local police or emergency services.
All hotlines are free.

Child Help: (800) 422-4453
Provides 24/7 assistance in 170 languages to adults, children and
youth with information and questions regarding child abuse. All calls
are anonymous and confidential.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: (800) 273-8255
Support and assistance 24/7 for anyone feeling depressed, overwhelmed
or suicidal.
National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-7233
National call center refers to local resources; Spanish plus 160 other
languages available; no caller ID used.
National Sexual Assault Hotline: (800) 656-4673
Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network - RAINN)
Nationwide referrals for specialized counseling and support groups:
(800) 656-4673
Routes calls to local sex assault crisis centers for resources and
referrals. Spanish available.

EDITOR’S NOTES
We want to help promote your community projects and state affiliate
events. Share your calendar with Beyond The Six Dots and we will
feature your events in the ‘Represent Your State’ section of our next
issue. Contact our editor to submit your calendar events.

NFB Community Service Division
www.facebook.com/communityservicedivision/
President Jeanetta Price
Email: price.jeanetta at gmail.com
Mobile: (409) 344-1005
Newsletter Editor: Maggie Stringer
Email: Ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Mobile: (443) 750-0070

ONE MINUTE MESSAGE
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams. We are survivors!