[NFB-DB] Swimming

rdgraves2007 at gmail.com rdgraves2007 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 16:56:57 UTC 2022

Greetings Fellow Deaf-blind Division Members,

I hope you all are doing well.

I am  wondering if I can get some pointers from those of you who enjoy
swimming. I absolutely loved to swim in my younger days, when my hearing was
much better. I have always had a hearing impairment, likely due to the
radiation therapy I had to undergo as a child, but the deficit has
progressed over the years. Without my hearing aids, at least for
communication purposes, I am almost deaf. I can hear the sound of voices,
but can not comprehend the speech unless someone comes and speaks directly
into my ear. I am also a person who is totally blind.

That said, I am wondering how those of you who may be in a similar situation
handle swimming-especially in a public pool. Would really love to begin
swimming again, and would appreciate any tips or pointers for how you
navigate such situations.

I just learned today of a head band called the "ear band it," designed
specifically for holding ear plugs in place. Do any of you have any
experience with this product, and does it work to protect hearing aids?

Thanks,

Diane Graves