[NFB-DB] Swimming

Penny Leclair penny.leclair at rogers.com
Sun Apr 10 19:03:49 UTC 2022

I have viewed the link provided. With going swimming myself I have but it is not as good as having a good swimmer guide. I always make sure the front desk knows that I need help into the changing area and I use a family room because less people. I could just take a bag out to the deck and leave all my belongings there and pick it up to go back into the changing room. I can speak well so I can state I am deafblind and would someone please tell me if you are in this shower area, no one responds I assume I can go in. I have had the area explained to me ahead of my first time in the changing area. My instructions are I will come out to the deck of the pool, walk a few steps to get out of the way of others coming out to the deck, and wait for staff to bring me to the lane where I can swim. I have asked that if anyone is going to swim in this lane they be told of my not seeing or hearing. Usually someone can stay out of my way, when the staff is told to watch for others coming into my lane. Always try to be one of the first swimmers on the deck, so that this information can be told to others as they choose where they will swim. My method for getting help out to the changing room or to a hot tub or anywhere else is to get out of the pool, if I can, and stand put my hand up and wait. If I can sit on the edge of the pool then I can stand, so this way of getting help works for me.
I know the length of the pool so I slow down when coming near the end. I have never hurt myself with having head hit the pool wall. I find this is not fun to always slow down, but better than the alternative!. On my back I judge when I might be close to the end, flip over to my stomach to make sure I am safe.

Penny
Sent from Mail for Windows