[NFB-DB] Cochlear Implants Response

Penny Leclair penny.leclair at rogers.com
Wed Apr 27 18:30:59 UTC 2022

I am not sure how different each person hears details which you would like to know. I can cross a small street and I can hear cars on the other side of a two lane road, no more ability than that. If larger street I would not say I am consistent in judgement of traffic. I can tell when I am facing the way traffic is going, when I am having traffic come towards me or if I get turned around due to my guide dog doing his dance—I can get myself back to going the way I want, facing traffic or going the same way. Some ability to hear echo, but I would not depend on that. It is there, but maybe because I have to concentrate to hear it, I simply don’t always pick up on it being there. I know when I am walking down one of those narrow pathways between housing, that kind of echo I can hear.

I have practiced some of this listening ability. I probably looked strange to the public, but I went walking with a sighted person and knew which way I was heading down the side walk. Then I stopped, spun around so I had to listen to traffic and tell the person which way I was facing. I did not always get it right, but with practice of first just listening to what I knew my position to be, and then when I spun around and moved until it sounded like I was, say, facing traffic so that I would not cross and cars went in front of me. At corners of small streets I am great, but not when it is more than two lanes. I practiced to learn the sounds, just like I practiced to recognize music and even using the phone.
I recall the day I could actually hear cars going past me, from behind past, it was such a thrill for me to pick up on that sound. Or standing facing traffic, not busy, and if a car comes the sound change as it goes from one side to the other. Those sounds are now automatic, but suttle so it takes practice and get someone to clarify what is happening as you listen. Say a truck idoling across the street, what does that sound like. If not too busy street, I can tell this.
I think it takes practice to hear so much at first, but once I got used to that, it was fine. But if I am walking down a very busy highway or very wide street with lots of traffic, I become agitated, nervous, I hate it! Butt I told the instructor at the guide dog school I could not walk down that street myself, I just can not. But I would never put myself in that position, and I explained what that sound does to me and it is just very confusing, very awful! I do not fall down, I just do not want to walk forward!
Penny

Sent from Mail for Windows