[NFB-DB] IRS ID.me Verification

Stuart Salvador stuartsalvador at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 18:24:01 UTC 2022

Hello fellow NFB-DB members, Stuart here.

Have any of you been able to get through ID.me verification to access
any services with the IRS? ID.me requires photos with very specific
parameters or video of your face again with specific instructions as
to what your face needs to do. The instructions are not accessible to
JAWS in Windows 10 or VoiceOver on iOS 15, and it's not realistic my
residual vision to do this right so it's a barrier to access. I don't
know what anyone else's experiences may have been with ID.me. If
you've encountered any problems, please let me know as I plan to write
my representatives and senators this upcoming week. When I do, I want
to include as many stakeholders and issues as possible so they know
this is not OK to restrict IRS services needed to do taxes. My
particular issue was in getting an online transcript which I use every
year to file taxes because many of my tax forms like 1099 come in tiny
print and no option that is accessible to me so this helps me get all
my numbers and accounts right. I can't certify under penalty of
perjury my tax return filing is 100% correct and accurate based on
what others tell me my tax reports say due to limits on my
understanding and
possibility of human error. That is a burden to place on my loved ones
in the event something was entered incorrectly, so the online
transcript allows me to know how to file correctly and is critical for
me to maintain that independence as you cannot defer legal liability
if there were to be a mistake when you file no matter how much you pay
tax professionals it's always back to you unless a simply calculation
error is covered by their contract and things like that (yet that only
reimburses you for any financial losses, it doesn't remove the federal
liability you have the taxes are correct). Thanks very much for any
feedback or assistance, and for anyone else that does (or knows how
best to) advocate on this topic, too.

EOM