[NFB-DB] some thoughts of mine regarding the tech crunch article that was posted to the list.

maurice mines maurice at maurice-amines.com
Thu Nov 17 20:38:53 UTC 2022

Good afternoon everyone, while the article from TechCrunch discusses
what the company things are benefits of using 3D printing to display
fingerspelling. I respectfully object. The company should spend more of
their time, money and effort etc. and to advocacy working on getting
deaf blind people jobs, and acceptance. In other words this device is
something that the concept appears to be apparently laudable. But the
reality is it will set us back, not move us forward. Reason personally
when I do need to read sign I’d rather read it from an actual person.
Certainly not a 3D printer.

Not from a 3D printer. If I’m going to read any sign, I prefer it being
done by a real person. I certainly don’t think that a 3D printer is
going to make that process go better. In fact I think it would create
another barrier to inclusion not only in the workplace, but in society
in general.

This article reminds me of a device that I once tested a number of years
ago. The vibrating cane. Granted this was at a convention of the
national Federation of the blind. For to the blind. Unfortunately the
chain didn’t work out I ran into a wall. Of course it started vibrating
after I ran into the wall. Not before. What is the moral of this story,
it simply this if the company really wants to help think about the way
we do things now do not invent a new way of communication hoping to sell
your device. Which is the only reason why they’re doing this. It’s all
about the sales, not about helping us.

Of course what I’m discussing above is certainly my opinion. But I hope
that everyone on the list would at least think about what I’m saying.
And think about the reasons why I am saying it. New technology must be
not only good but functional, and socially acceptable. Of course it
might help if the company consults with us instead of inventing
something for us without consulting us.

please note, that this was all dictated originally into a Microsoft Word
document and copied into this email. If there are errors in the above
text and you can't understand what I've written above, please reach out
to me and asked me what did I really mean? Thank you very much for
reading this.

Respectfully Maurice Mines.

Board member National Federation of the Blind deaf blind division.

First VP National Federation of the Blind of California deaf blind division.

Text number 661-868-9647.