[NFB-DB] some thoughts of mine regarding the tech crunch article that was posted to the list.

Rod and Ele Macdonald erjmacdonald at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 22:36:31 UTC 2022

"A step backward" is exactly what I was thinking when I shared this article. 30 years ago the Smith-Kettlewell Institute developed a robotic fingerspelling hand. I think it was called Alex. In 1988 Judy Harkins at Gallaudet developed an improved version, called Hans. She presented on Hans at the 1988 AADB convention. But as far as I know neither caught on, so why a new version?

One can assume that advances in robotics might make for a more "usable" product, but I don't think the folks behind this project really know what they are doing. Some ASL users prefer to follow tactually from in front - I did that when I was in grad school, although it was CASE, not ASL. But this gadget wants users to follow from behind. And how many folks will be pleased with one-handed ASL?

As I understand it, this started with a graduate student using this idea for a class project. Fine, but I am surprised Perkins is supporting this.

Maybe there are issues or concepts I don't know, but this article was a real head-scratcher for me.

Rod