[NFB-DB] SAVE THE DATE- Mental Health Training Series

Rod and Ele Macdonald erjmacdonald at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 04:43:02 UTC 2023

This training is a very positive step forward, and is much needed.

But what about the DB consumer who -

1. Does not have the vision to see the screen, with or without magnification?

AND

2. Does not have the hearing to make use of audio, with or without amplification?

Yes, Zoom can be streamed to a braille display, but at such a speed that this won't work: No braille display can accommodate this and let the user read at his or her own speed - every bit of incoming information must follow the insertion point (cursor), and the speed of spoken language is at least twice as fast as even fluent braille readers can keep up with, not to mention the fact that the information is in uncontracted, unformatted plain text subject to typos.

yes, a much nicer transcript is possible ... after the fact. How does the consumer ask appropriate questions at the appropriate time based on a transcript?

Is anyone working on these real-life issues? Is anyone advocating for a solution?

Rod