[NFB-DB] Help from Any deafblind guide dog users

Sean Moore seanmoore87 at gmail.com
Mon May 22 22:51:24 UTC 2023

Hi there, I finished in  April  Leader  dogs’ orientation and mobility program.
I’ve   had  to dogs from Southeastern Guide Dogs .

I am pretty  much totally blind, lights,  shapes and shadows in and  mild  hearing  loss ,  so   my experiences  may not be the same as yours.
Leader has a Deafblind program found at:
https://www.leaderdog.org/programs/guide-dog-program/deafblind-guide-dog-training/#:~:text=In%201992%2C%20Leader%20Dogs%20for,a%20client%27s%20range%20of%20vision.

Also  so  does  Guiding Eyes:
https://www.guidingeyes.org/student-training-programs/specialized-training/

Our world renowned Specialized Training is designed to custom train guide dogs for individuals who have additional challenges. This may include individuals with gait and balance issues, cognitive challenges, and individuals who are DeafBlind. Highly customized training ensures that each team of a student and their guide dog can achieve maximum independence and mobility.

•  For students who are DeafBlind, we provide Specialized Training Instructors who are proficient in American Sign Language, and we hire professional interpreters to expedite communication as needed. 3 of 3

Leader dogs is one of the schools   that uses more technology in the program to assist clients.
Foor  example when I was there, they showed me the Oko app  to make sure I was aligned at a street crossing, and to read the pedestrian signals.

They also let me test out the victor   trek   with aftershocks, bone conduction, headphone..

I feel like Leader is a little bit more forgiving on what you can show in your video..
As long as you can demonstrate the routes and that you can travel independently, it should be OK..

Both of my dogs  have been great at keeping me in a straight line…
And for me, I'll always be faster with a dog than my cane.