[Nfb-dc] FW: October Adaptive Technology-related Events at MLK library

NFB-DC Affiliate capitol.matters at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 17:17:34 UTC 2013

Announcing three Adaptive Technology-related events in October 2013 at
the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library:

2013 Mayor's 6th Annual Disability Awareness Expo
Tuesday, October 1, 2013
10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
This FREE event is for all the DC residents with a disability,
advocates, caregivers and providers to share information and valuable
resources; build new relationships; participate in activities that are
fun, relaxing and empowering!
ONLINE REGISTRATION:
www.2013dcdae.eventbrite.com<http://www.2013dcdae.eventbrite.com>

Accessibility Camp DC 2013
Saturday, October 12, 2013
9:30 AM to 5:30 PM
The main idea behind the Accessibility Camp DC event is to get a whole
lot of smart people from the design, development, UX, accessibility
community together to learn and teach each other how to improve the
web, software, even mobile applications, and make it more accessible
to all.
Register at: http://accesscampdc13.eventbrite.com/

5th Annual Moving Forward Together Secondary Transition Community Fair & Forum
Friday, October 25 & Saturday, October 26, 2013
Youth and young adults with disabilities (middle & high school),
parents/families/caregivers, educators, professionals, and community
organizations are invited to learn about transition into employment,
education, and independence at this two day event.
Register here:
http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e83s9nz22188e8dc&llr=7r5atidab

Details for all events and directions to the library follow:

2013 Mayor's 6th Annual Disability Awareness Expo
Tuesday, October 1, 2013
10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
(doors open at 9:30 AM)

This FREE event is for all the DC residents with a disability,
advocates, caregivers and providers to share information and valuable
resources; build new relationships; participate in activities that are
fun, relaxing and empowering!
October 1, 2013M-3:00 PM
Opening Remarks from the Honorable Mayor Vincent Gray
This Expo is featuring:
FREE Health Screenings
Employment Workshops
Sensory Story time
District Government
and more than 30 public and private
programs & service providers.
ONLINE REGISTRATION:
www.2013dcdae.eventbrite.com<http://www.2013dcdae.eventbrite.com>

For more information or to request reasonable accommodations, please contact:

Christina R. Mitchell
Special Assistant
Executive Office of the Mayor
Office of Disability Rights
DC Commission on Persons with Disabilities
441 4th Street, NW, Suite 729N
Washington, DC 20001
202.481.3877 (Direct)
202.724.5055 (Office)
202.727.9484 (Fax)
www.odr.dc.gov<http://www.odr.dc.gov>
"Like" us www.facebook.com/disabilityrights<http://www.facebook.com/disabilityrights>
Follow us www.twitter.com/odrdc<http://www.twitter.com/odrdc>
Register now: www.2013dcdae.eventbrite.com<http://www.2013dcdae.eventbrite.com>

Accessibility Camp DC - October 12, 2013
Saturday, October 12, 2013 from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM (EDT)
Washington, DC

Register at: http://accesscampdc13.eventbrite.com/

We are going to have Accessibility Camp DC at the Martin Luther King
Library here in Washington, DC, on October 12, 2013, from 10:00 AM to
5:00 PM. Check-in will begin at 9:30 AM once library opens.
The Martin Luther King  (MLK) Jr. Memorial Library is located at:
901 G St NW, Room 215
Washington, DC 20001-4531
General Overview
We are still in the major planning stage for this event and are still
looking for volunteers and sponsors. Please e-mail us at
info at AccessibilityCampDC.org<mailto:info at AccessibilityCampDC.org>, if
you would like to help or sponsor this event.
This event is going to be run like a typical BarCamp, which is an
un-conference, where the people attending are the speakers, please
come with a talk or discussion in mind.
Registration for this FREE event to attendees will open on Wednesday
August 13, 2013, at noon eastern.
The reason we are holding off opening registration for all the tickets
(150) as we are trying to make sure people don't just sign-up to get a
spot not knowing what their schedule is going to be in two months and
then not show up.
Please follow http://www.twitter.com/AccessCampDC to know what is
going on and when registration and other points of interest are
occurring.
Talk Ideas
The main idea behind the Accessibility Camp DC event is to get a whole
lot of smart people from the design, development, UX, accessibility
community together to learn and teach each other how to improve the
web, software, even mobile applications, and make it more accessible
to all.
Some suggestions for talks we had in mind are listed below. If you
have other ideas send them to us or add them to the wiki, once we have
that ready.
Section 508 Compliance  or WCAG 2.0
Practical Ways to Make Your Website Accessible
Creating Accessible PDF's
Making Flash Accessible
What is WAI-ARIA - (Web Accessibility Initiative - Accessible Rich
Internet Applications)
Accessible Video and Transcription
Panel Discussion on "Issues Effecting Individuals with Disabilities on the Web"
Captioning
Mobile Application Accessibility
Schedule
Below is a breakdown of the schedule and how the day will unfold.
Would greatly appreciate it if you can make sure you are on time for
registration so we can get started on time.
9:30 AM - 10:00 AM - Registration
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM - General announcements about Accessibility Camp
DC, sponsors, and then most of the time creating the rest of the event
schedule of speakers.
Each talk will be 45 minutes including questions and then attendees
will have 15 minutes to get to there next talk. We will be able to
have four or five talks going on at the same time if we have enough
people willing to talk or be in charge of a discussion.
11:00 AM - 11:45 AM - First set of talks
12:00 PM - 12:45 PM - Second set of talks
12:45 PM - 2:00 PM - Lunch
2:00 PM - 2:45 PM - Third set of talks
3:00 PM - 3:45 PM - Fourth set of talks
4:00 PM - 4:45 PM - Fifth set of talks
4:45 PM - 5:30 PM - Closing remarks, clean-up, and after event wanderings.
Contact Information
We can be reached the following ways, since we are looking for
suggestions, problems, or issues you might have.
Website - http://AccessibilityCampDC.org
E-mail - info at AccessibilityCampDC.org<mailto:info at AccessibilityCampDC.org>
Twitter - @AccessCampDC
Cell - 703-587-2458
BarCamp.org - http://barcamp.org/w/page/399948/AccessibilityCampDC

5th Annual Moving Forward Together Secondary Transition Community Fair & Forum
Friday, October 25 & Saturday, October 26, 2013
MLK Jr. Memorial Public Library:
901 G St. NW Washington, DC
Youth and young adults with disabilities (middle & high school),
parents/families/caregivers, educators, professionals, and community
organizations are invited to learn about transition into employment,
education, and independence at this two day event.
Register here:
http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e83s9nz22188e8dc&llr=7r5atidab

Friday, October 25 from 10am-3pm
All DC Schools are Invited - DCPS, Charter, & Non-publics - to Bring
their Students
*             Motivational Speaker: Lamont Carey (lamontcarey.com)
*             Interactive Scavenger Hunt with Exhibitors
*             Self-advocacy & Transition Workshop led by Youth
*             Self-expression Workshop led by Lamont Carey. Limited
availability.

Saturday, October 26 from 10am-2pm
Youth and young adults with disabilities, parents/caregivers,
educators, professionals, and community members are invited to
participate
*             Interactive Youth Program with Lamont Carey
*             Workshops
*             Local Resources & Success Stories
*             Networking & Community Building
*             Door Prizes for Youth

This conference is jointly funded by: District of Columbia Department
on Disability Services, District of Columbia Developmental
Disabilities Council, District of Columbia Office of the State
Superintendent of Education, District of Columbia Public Library,
Institute for Educational Leadership, and The HSC Foundation and the
Mitsubishi Electric America Foundation through the Youth Transitions
Collaborative

Special thanks to all of our co-sponsors: Advocates for Justice and
Education, The ARC of DC, DC Appleseed, District of Columbia
Association for Special Education, DC Metro ADA Coalition, DC Metro
Business Leadership Network, District of Columbia Public Schools
Office of Special Education, DC Special Education COOP, DC State
Advisory Panel on Special Education, Full Circle Employment Solutions
LLC, George Washington University, I'm Determined (VA Department of
Education), Inclusion Research Institute, National Alliance to Advance
Adolescent Health, Project ACTION!, Quality Trust for Individuals with
Disabilities, ReadSpeaker, University Legal Services
Sincerely,

Sarah Grime
SchoolTalk
(202) 907-6887
sarah.grime at schooltalkdc.org<mailto:sarah.grime at schooltalkdc.org>

There is no public parking at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library.

The library is located at:

901 G St. N.W.
Washington,  DC  20001
Metro Stop: Gallery Place, Metro Center
202-727-0321

Sunday: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Monday: 12:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Tuesday: 12:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Wednesday: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Thursday: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Saturday: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM

Patrick

James Patrick Timony
Librarian, Adaptive Technology
DC Public Library
202-727-1335

New, expanded library hours start Oct. 1.  More hours for story time.
More hours for community meetings.  More hours to use free computers.
Check out the library's new hours at
dclibrary.org/newhours<http://www.dclibrary.org/newhours>.