[Nfb-editors] Purpose of a NFB publication

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sun Apr 10 14:42:39 UTC 2011

Gary, Mike, Bridgit, Chris and others:

Ya know, I look around and depending upon where I look, I do see that we've
had a positive impact upon --- parents, kids, educators, law makers, the
public in general, employers, etc. Yet, the problem of blindness is so large
and pervasive, that it just carries on with us as our society goes along.
The blind computer homies, that were once the radio freeks (A play on the
short-form of frequency), and all those signs and trappings  of old that
showed us that the blind were on the out-side looking in --- well, they are
all still with us, just in a new suit of clothing. (An older gentleman I
once met would put it like this- "It's the same old circus, just a different
set of clowns.) {Clowns in this case, are the negative guys, not us.} And in
saying this, I'm saying --- yes, our work is not done. That some of our
tools are now faster and reach out further, but it is still  mostly one of
those deals where we see most of our progress being won, on a one-by-one
basis. We are like they say, a low incidence group, our impact upon all
others is small and so change is slow. But change we are adoing. Looking
around we can see the small improvements and there is what I celebrate.
(Just my musings; we need to do what we are doing, improving where we can in
how we do it; a newsletter still has its place, and we just need to work
better some of the newer options.)