[Nfb-editors] Purpose of a NFB publication

Wunder, Gary gwunder at nfb.org
Mon Apr 11 12:47:42 UTC 2011

Hello Robert. I see that this thread has generated some very thoughtful posts, and I appreciate the willingness of folks to put in there ore. I think that the essence of your message is absolutely correct. We are not looking for gloom and doom here. We are not trying to categorize young people as misguided or lacking in attention or unwilling to help. We are simply trying to figure out how they respond, what they feel worth helping, and how, when it comes to the bottom line, we can help them. If that isn't the ultimate goal, we might as well enjoy what we have and simply move along. I have always felt a tremendous obligation to do justice to the memory of those who came before me and it obligation to pay forward so that I help people who come after. I don't believe this is at all a unique perspective, either on this list or in the community of blind people. The question is how we channel what is out there, and how we help without seeming to be critical.

So many of you have been helpful to me in your responses that I'm going to try a more in-depth note later on. I am responding here to Robert because I think he sets a tone which is very helpful.

Tina makes one observation that I think deserves an immediate response. We are not looking for one solution. Sometimes we will cast our net wide and will try to help a number of people with the message we send. At other times we are going to do one-on-one instruction, listening, and offering our hand in friendship. There is no one-size-fits-all.

Warmly,

Gary