[Nfb-editors] New Jersey, sample Newsletter- "The Sounding Board, " fall

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sat Feb 19 12:29:56 UTC 2011

Dear Editors: Here is another sample of a state’s newsletter. (I downloaded
it from their website) It is a quarterly publication; available from the
web, email, print, on Newsline; This issue, in Word is 28 pages, 10,541
words. (As we look at these examples, it would be interesting to  see if
they fall into format or literary style types. How would you classify this
type?) The New Jersey “the Sounding Board” is a fine Mag.

THE SOUNDING BOARD

Fall 2010

Katherine Gabry, Editor

Jerilyn Higgins, Co-editor

Published in print, by e-mail, on the Web, through Newsline and AudioVision
by

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

 <http://www.nfbnj.org> www.nfbnj.org

Joseph Ruffalo, President

State Affiliate Office

254 Spruce Street

Bloomfield, NJ 07003

e-mail: nfbnj at yahoo.com

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests,

letters to the Editor and articles for The Sounding Board should be sent to
the

State Affiliate Office or e-mailed to  <mailto:specialk38 at aol.com>
specialk38 at aol.com. The editorial staff reserves the right to edit all
articles for space and/or clarity considerations.

Please Note: The deadline for the Spring issue is March 1, 2011.

Sounding Board subscriptions cost the Federation about six dollars per year.
Members are invited and non-members are requested to cover the subscription
cost.  Donations should be made payable to the

and sent to the State Affiliate Office.

The Sounding Board has been printed by Budget Print of Bloomfield, NJ.

A grant from the Fund for New Jersey Blind assists in our production costs.

To subscribe via Newsline, please contact Bill Dougherty at 800-792-8322.

If you or a friend would like to remember the National Federation of the
Blind

of New Jersey in your will, you can do so by employing the following
language:

“I give, devise and bequeath unto the National Federation of the Blind of
New Jersey, 254 Spruce Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003, a non-profit
corporation,

the sum of $__ (or “__ percent of my net estate” or “The following stocks
and bonds: __”) to be used for its worthy purposes on behalf of blind
persons.”

TABLE OF CONTENTS

After the Holiday Party Invitation
3

Presidential Message, by Joe Ruffalo
4

Legislative News, by Lynn Reynolds
6

My Adventures at the BISM Summer Program, by Elizabeth Morgan
6

Blindsided, by Mark Colasurdo
8

My Greatest Accomplishment, by Hamlet Diaz
10

My College Experience, by Sarah Weinstein
11

Medicaid May Approve High Tech Devices, by Allen N. Blumenthal
12

Carol Castellano’s New Book is Out
13

Nutley Lions Host Spring Event, by Joe Ruffalo
14

A Travel Agent Who is Blind, Not a Blind Travel Agent, by Cheryl Echevarria
14

Enabling Blind and Visually Impaired Patients to Achieve
Maximal Personal and Occupational Goals: The Importance of Nonvisual Skills,
by Marvin F. Kraushar, et al
16

The Search for a Braille Writer
19

Newsline: Now the Blind Have Access to Newspaper Information
20

New from the New Jersey TBBC, by Anne McArthur
20

>From the Kitchen of Jerilyn Higgins
21

NFBNJ Chapter News
23

NFBNJ Programs, Associations & Divisions News
24

NFBNJ Contact Info
27

flowers,Christmas frames,decorations,dividers,frames,holiday borders,holiday
frames,holidays,nature,plants,poinsettias,ribbons,special
occasions,streamersYou’re Invited to the NFBNJ’s

After the Holiday Party!

Saturday, January 8, 2011, 1 – 5 p.m.

Crowne Plaza Hotel 36 Valley Road, Clark, NJ (Access Link accessible)

$25 per adult and $10 for children under 12

Make your check payable to NFBNJ and please include each attendee’s name,
phone number and meal choices. Mail to:

Joe Ruffalo/National Federation of the Blind of NJ

254 Spruce Street

Bloomfield NJ 07003

All payments must be received by December 31, 2010.

For additional information, call Joe at 973-743-0075.

We will have door prizes, a silent auction, a sing-along and a special
appearance

from jolly old Santa! Special note: If you would like a gift from Santa,
please bring a wrapped gift labeled with the name of the recipient.

MISTLETOE MAGIC MENU

Chef’s Holiday salad with cranberry vinaigrette

Entrée (choose one):

Stuffed Chicken with Spinach and Ricotta Cheese

Honey Glazed Salmon with Cilantro Olio

Jr. Rib Eye topped with Garlic and Crisp Onions

Vegetarian dinner is available upon request

Warm Rolls and Butter

Fresh Seasonal Vegetables

Baked Sweet Potato with Cinnamon Butter

Chef’s Tiered Holiday Desserts

Freshly Brewed Regular and Decaf Coffees, Herbal Teas and Assorted Soft
Drinks

Special children's menu: Chicken Fingers and Fries

Please join us in celebrating the holiday season!

PRESIDENTIAL MESSAGE

Greetings Fellow Federationists,

Since the last issue of The Sounding Board, the National Federation of the
Blind of New Jersey has been working to change what it means to be blind.
Parents of Blind Children-NJ held a Big Band concert in May, many chapters
held summer picnics, 64 of our members attended the NFB’s National
Convention in Dallas in July, and our chapters conducted 11 Meet the Blind
Month activities in October. Four New Jersey college students – Mary
Fernandez, Melissa Lomax, Jessica Scannell and Quintina Singleton – were
awarded scholarships at the National Convention in July, and Melissa Lomax
and Jeremy Capati were awarded NFBNJ scholarship at the State Convention in
November. In addition, a number of our students have advocated for top-notch
training at our NFB centers. Keep up the good work!

Speaking of our 34th State Convention
 it was a rousing success with 325 in
attendance and nearly 300 watching and listening live as Lenny and Lori
managed the live airing. I was honored to announce that the NFBNJ received
Imagination Fund grants to further develop projects through our Internet
radio show, our student division and our State Affiliate.  The grant for our
Internet radio show ThruOurEyes furthers the efforts of producing
educational and informational interviews.  Nearly 20 people sought me out at
the National Convention to express their gratitude for ThruOurEyes. They
shared their favorite interviews, and many download the shows for future
playing for themselves or for discussion at their chapter meetings. All of
them appreciated the professionalism demonstrated by ThruOurEyes. One of our
regular listeners hails from Hawaii! If you haven’t tuned in, check us out
online at  <http://www.ThruOurEyes.org> www.ThruOurEyes.org or on JAWS or
your mobile device at m.thruoureyes.org. The New Jersey Association of Blind
Students was also awarded a grant to conduct a workshop on building
membership, and the State Affiliate received a grant to conduct a leadership
and membership building workshop. Look for updates on all these exciting
projects at www.nfbnj.org.

During the banquet of the convention, the membership of the NFBNJ celebrated
the 100th anniversary of the NJ Commission for the Blind and Visually
Impaired with a presentation of achievement. We presented VitoDeSantis with
a CBVI (chocolate brownie with vanilla icing).

Several important announcements were made at the State Convention. First, a
Senior Committee will be organized into a division of the National
Organization of the Senior Blind.  E-mail messages will be forthcoming
highlighting the committee goals, purposes and objectives. Next, two
resolutions were passed. Additional information can be found by visiting our
website at  <http://www.nfbnj.org> www.nfbnj.org.  And finally, please
spread the word that our Facebook page is now up! It’s called Looking Good
Without Looking. If you have pictures to send in from your mobile phone,
please upload them!

With so much happening, be sure to check in regularly at the National and
State websites ( <http://www.nfb.org> www.nfb.org and
<http://www.nfbnj.org> www.nfbnj.org) for updated information pertaining to
the NFB’s eBay project, applications for the Youth SLAM, the application
process for a National Scholarship for 2011 and all the exciting happenings
right here in New Jersey, including legislation updates.

Each year, production costs associated with the printing of The Sounding
Board continue to rise. While we’re pleased to report that the Fund for New
Jersey Blind has awarded us a grant this year to assist with these costs,
we’re always on the lookout for ways to reduce our costs, such as e-mailing
the magazine instead of printing it. To get your magazine by e-mail, please
forward your e-mail address and contact information to
<mailto:nfbnj at yahoo.com> nfbnj at yahoo.com.

Important Dates

·         January 8, 2011: NFBNJ’s After the Holiday Party, from 1 – 5 p.m.
at the Crowne Plaza in Clark. RSVP by December 31, 2010.

·         January 29: Rolex 24, Daytona, FL

·         January 31 – February 3, 2011: Washington Seminar

·         April 8 – 12, 2011: NFB Leadership and Advocacy in Washington,
D.C., (LAW) Program: Engaging the Voice of America’s Blind Youth; for blind
and low-vision students  in grades 6 to 9 (ages 12-16)

·         July 3 – July 8, 2011: The NFB’s National Convention in Orlando,
FL.

·         November 11 – November 13, 2011: NFBNJ’s 35th State Convention at
the Crowne Plaza in Clark.

As you read through this issue of The Sounding Board, you’ll witness
determination, drive and desire from our members as they strive to achieve
their goals in education, employment and changing what it means to be blind.
I hope their stories inspire you to continue our work.  Please share the
magazine with your friends, family, neighbors, professionals and co-workers
to provide all
with the truth about blindness. Remember: When we all do, it becomes doable!

Sincerely,

Joseph Ruffalo, President

LEGISLATIVE NEWS

By Lynn Reynolds, Legislative Coordinator

The year is winding down with the three main issues from the Washington
Seminar still the main focus of the NFB:

1.     H.R. 734 – Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act, which details the
issues surrounding quiet cars.

2.     H.R. 4533 – Technology Bill of Rights for the Blind, which mandates
that consumer electronics, home appliances, kiosks and electronic office
technology provide user interfaces that are accessible through non-visual
means.

3.     H.R. 886/S. 2962 – Blind Persons Return to Work Act, which enacts
legislation to transition blind Americans from being recipients of Social
Security Disability Insurance benefits to income-earning, tax-paying,
productive members of the American workforce.

As we move into a new year with a new Congress, these issues will need to be
reintroduced. We may still need to focus on these issues at the 2011
Washington Seminar. Perhaps new issues will be discussed with our
Congressional representatives as well.

If you would like to be on the Legislative Alert list, please e-mail me your
information.  I would like to thank all those who make the calls to
Congress.  We do make a difference when our representatives hear from us.

MY ADVENTURES AT THE BISM SUMMER PROGRAM

By Elizabeth Morgan

Editor’s Note: Liz is a junior at Vineland High School and an active member
in the Southern Region’s LEAD program for high school students with vision
loss.

I recently had an amazing opportunity: I attended Independence 2010, an
awesome 6-week summer program sponsored by the Blind Industries and Services
of Maryland (BISM).  The skills I learned there are important for every
blind person to have an independent life. Our instructors were all blind or
visually impaired.  They were great mentors and definitely motivated all of
us.

We stayed on a college campus and lived in a dorm, and got a taste of what
it will be like when we go to college and live on our own.  We lived by a
daily schedule and attended school Monday through Friday.  Our curriculum
consisted of computer training, improvement of our Braille skills using a
slate and stylus, O & M training, and many other independent living skills
such as cooking, cleaning, laundry, personal hygiene and so much more.

Before going to Independence 2010, I was always afraid of the stove, but by
the time the program was over, I was cooking with ease.  We made French
toast, bacon, cheeseburgers, lasagna and a great soul food dinner. We
prepared our own meals as well as group dinners.  I also learned how to
dismantle an electric stovetop; I took out the heating element, cleaned
underneath it and put it back together again.

I mopped, swept and washed floors. I learned the right techniques to vacuum
(by taking off my shoes and using my cane).  I met a lot of really nice
people and have kept in touch with some of them.

For recreation, we went roller skating, bowling, to the movies and out to
dinner several times. We had “game night” once a week.  One day, we had a
physical fitness course that involved a ropes course outside on the campus
grounds. We also played different strategy games and did team building
activities.

We went to the NFB National Convention in Dallas, and we toured the Capital
in Washington, D.C.  We also took a trip to New York City where we visited
Ground Zero and did some shopping in the city.  It was very touching to be
at Ground Zero. We had the pleasure and honor of touring the Kenneth
Jernigan Institute in Baltimore.  While at the Jernigan Institute, we were
allowed to tour the Jacobus tenBroek Research Library and the museum.  We
also went to the BISM headquarters for the grand opening of the BISM Senior
Program.

I learned so many things about myself at Independence 2010. This program
empowered me and took me outside of my comfort zone.  I now have more
self-confidence. This program taught me how to be more independent and
showed me how to become not only a more successful blind person, but,
overall, a more successful, self-sufficient person in general! By using my
new skills, I am able to show myself and others that I can do anything, and
I’ll use these skills to my advantage.  I also want to help others with what
I have learned.

I want to thank those who helped make this program a reality for me: the
NFBNJ’s Braille Division, Lions Clubs, and my family and friends for their
generous contributions and their belief in me to succeed. Without your
support, I would not have been able to experience this incredibly awesome
program.  I am extremely grateful and want those who helped to know that I
truly appreciate their kindness.

BLINDSIDED

By Mark Colasurdo

Editor’s Note: Mark is a senior at the Marine Academy of Technology and
Environmental Sciences in Manahawkin, where he is a member of the National
Honor Society and the track team. Mark is also an active member in the
Central Region’s LEAD program for high school students with vision loss.

Fourteen surgeries, countless doctors, and seven years later, my greatest
fear had finally become my inevitable reality. As the doctor meticulously
removed the bandages and silently scrutinized my eyes, my mother and I sat
anxiously awaiting his final verdict. At last, my ophthalmologist turned
around, shook his head, and released the somber news like a crashing wave: I
would never be able to see again.  At that point, I knew my life had changed
and that nothing would ever be the same.  As we drove away from Johns
Hopkins in the same silence that had delivered my fate, I made a promise
with myself: I would never let blindness hold me back from my true
potential.  Although I did not know it at the time, this tragedy marked the
beginning of the most challenging, inspirational and rewarding journey of my
life.

Since I was now with irrevocable vision loss, I could no longer rely on my
sight to complete everyday tasks. Every menial chore became an arduous
challenge. My schoolwork had to be read and scribed for me by a parent,
brother or teacher, which resulted in numerous hours of painstaking reading,
listening and dictation.  My computer was a virtually useless machine that I
could not use without the assistance of sight.  This dependency prompted me
to seek change, and showed me that when you fall off the horse, you must get
back on.  If I wanted to accomplish my dreams and goals, I needed to first
become an independent, confident individual again.

After much research and deliberation, my parents and I decided that it would
be best for me to attend the Louisiana Center for the Blind, one of the most
prestigious and comprehensive blindness rehabilitation centers in the world.
During the fall semester of my junior year of high school, I packed my bags
and headed south.  There, I learned to read and write Braille, use computers
without vision, and navigate towns blindfolded. However, the most
incredible, encouraging and inspiring experience was building a clock
completely blind. This endeavor entailed using intimidating and dangerous
power tools such as table saws, ban-saws and routers, all of which most
sighted people would not even think of touching.  As I turned on the table
saw for the first time, the deafening cacophony of grinding gears paralyzed
my body and conjured up frightening images of razor-sharp blades in my mind.
However, I was determined to not let this intimidation discourage me.
Blindfolded, I firmly gripped the stock of wood and steadily guided it
through the ravenous teeth of the saw blade.  I took a breath as I cut
through the wood – I had overcome my fears and conquered the challenge.  In
the end, not only did I leave Louisiana with all my fingers and a beautiful
clock, but I was also becoming more confident, independent and optimistic
through my blindness.

When I returned home from Louisiana, I was excited to jump back into school
and implement my new set of skills.  My schedule was full, including an
independent study that I undertook in order to make up for some lost
classes, and so I had no time to relax.  I was anxious to see how my new set
of abilities would hold up to the rigorous standards of my course load.  My
most challenging course was my English III class, in which I had one of the
most notoriously difficult teachers; she gave us merciless amounts of
homework and impossibly hard tests.  In order to stay on top of the class, I
had to work diligently every day.  I would take extensive notes in school
using my laptop and an accessible screen reader, which would read what was
happening on the screen as I typed and navigated through menus.  At night, I
would read countless pages of Braille, not only to complete the assignments,
but to also maintain my reading speed and accuracy.  On the weekends, I
would devote additional time to improving my reading and listening
comprehension skills so that I could get the most out of the lectures,
novels and assignments.  Was all this extra, tedious work worth it?
Finally, on one of the last day of school, my teacher walked methodically up
and down each aisle, handing out each student’s final grade.  When she
arrived at my desk, she turned to face the other students and proudly
announced that I had earned the top grade in the class.  As this rewarding
wave rushed over me, I could not help but smile;  my perseverance had paid
off.

I often ask myself where I would be today, had this momentous event never
occurred. Would I have ever gained the determination that I received from
overcoming the initial obstacles proposed by blindness? Would I have the
confidence and trust in myself that is instilled in me every time my clock
chimes in the background?  Would I have the diligence and perseverance to
challenge myself with aspirations of only the best?  I think not.  Over the
course of my journey, I have learned that blindness is not my greatest
disability; it is my greatest asset – one that pushes me to reach my full
potential, overcome any obstacle and shoot for the stars.

MY GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT

By Hamlet Diaz

Editor’s Note: Hamlet is a senior at Union City High School and an active
member of the Northern Region’s Leadership, Education, Advocacy and
Determination (LEAD) program for high school students with vision loss. In
this article, he explains his greatest accomplishment.

When I came to the United States from the Dominican Republic, I learned to
speak English, to read and write in Braille, and to use a computer. I earned
certificates in school and was inducted to the Music Honor Society. I am
proud of myself for achieving those things, but there was a bigger challenge
that I had to face. I faced that challenge during my junior year.

At the beginning of my junior year, I was told that I had to take a state
test in March. This test is known as the High School Proficiency Assessment
(HSPA). This assessment tests students on language arts, literacy and math.
I heard that if students didn’t pass the test, they wouldn’t be able to
graduate from high school. I was really worried about the math section on
that test because I am weak at math. I was so stressed about this test, but
I told only a few people about my worries. It is recommended to talk about
things that are troubling you, but I was just too stressed, so I figured it
was best not to talk about it. Even though students are able to take the
test again in their senior year if they fail it in their junior year, I
didn’t want to be one of those students. So many people – my family, my
teachers and tutors, my social worker, even the school nurse – had faith in
me. They expected me to pass that test, and I didn’t want to disappoint
them. I had math tutoring at home and a math class on Tuesdays after school.
I worked hard to become better at math in order to pass that test.

March came. I took the test. At the end of May, the test scores came back

and I passed, even the math!

In life, we must never give up, especially when so many people have faith in
you and expect you to get it done. If you are weak at something, do not let
that stop you. I was weak at math. However, I had to pass that test. What
did I do? Did I just give up? No. I knew that many people had faith in me
and also, I wanted to graduate from high school. I worked hard and I passed
the test! Out of all my accomplishments, I consider this achievement the
greatest of them all because I had to work really hard to achieve it.

MY COLLEGE EXPERIENCE

By Sarah Weinstein

Editor’s Note: Sarah is a former LEAD student from the Central Region.

On May 27, 2010, I received a Specialized Diploma in Medical Transcription
from Northampton Community College in Bethlehem, PA. A medical
transcriptionist is a person who transcribes doctors’ notes either from an
audiotape or CD. After transcribing the notes, the transcriptionist must
proofread them for errors. I chose this career because I really enjoy the
medical field, and I have excellent typing and formatting skills. I enjoyed
learning about medical terms, different medications and various medical
procedures. The six courses I needed to take were Medical Terminology I,
Keyboarding I, Advanced Medical Terminology, Human Biology, Basic Medical
Transcription and Advanced Medical Transcription.

For Medical Terminology I and Advanced Medical Terminology, all my books had
to be in Braille so that I could learn the exact spelling of the medical
terms.  I obtained e-files from the publishers of the books, and then my dad
reformatted the text in Duxbury. I told him how to format charts, graphs,
tables and regular text. When the formatting was finished, I mailed the
files to Associated Services for the Blind in Philadelphia to get the books
embossed in Braille and bound. One book in print equaled 18 volumes in
Braille. When the professors lectured, I used a BrailleNote to take notes.
Additionally, I recorded the classes with a digital recorder. This way,
whatever I missed, I listened to it when I got home. When I had tests and
quizzes, a technology person at the college Brailled them. Medical
Terminology I and Advanced Medical Terminology went very well.

In Keyboarding I, the text was on audiotapes, and JAWS was installed on a
classroom computer. I learned how to write various letters, including
formatting techniques, and how to properly use Transcription Equipment.
(Transcription Equipment consists of a foot pedal attached to a recorder via
an electric wire. The recording is on a tape or CD.) Before the course, Ed
Godfrey of Elwyn Assistive Technology Services tutored me in JAWS keystrokes
for formatting. My professor told me at times that she did not know how a
blind person would do some of the formatting. It is great what JAWS can do,
and I did very well in this class.  One challenge I had was doing timed
tests for speed. The goal was to type 40 or more words per minute with three
or less errors. It was a challenge for me because the sighted students could
see the words on a split screen whereas I had to just hear the words. Before
the timed tests, I had to study previous lessons very hard in order to know
how to spell the words.

When I took Human Biology, I needed to have the textbook and the lab book
Brailled. In the classroom, I also needed a lab assistant to explain visual
pictures and to assist me in touching tactile models. I especially enjoyed
touching different tissues, the brain, bones and muscles. It was fun looking
at the models!

When I took Basic Medical Transcription and Advanced Medical Transcription,
I needed to have my textbooks and answer keys  in Braille, JAWS installed on
a classroom computer, and Stedman’s Medical Dictionary downloaded. Besides
learning terms in each chapter, I also had to write medical reports for each
specialty. The reason I needed Stedman’s Dictionary downloaded was just in
case I needed to look up medical words that were not in the textbook. After
I typed each medical report from an audio CD, I had to correct it with an
answer key. A technology person at the college Brailled the answer keys. One
challenge was understanding each of the dictators. When I have a job, I now
know that not all dictators will speak clearly. For example, some of the
dictators spoke with an accent, some talked too fast, some chewed, some
would yawn, and I would hear phones ring in the background. Whenever
dictators spoke too fast, I learned how to slow down their speed using the
foot pedal. It was great learning various types of medical reports, various
drug names, grammar rules and medical abbreviations.

On May 27, 2010, I graduated with a Specialized Diploma in Medical
Transcription. For the past three years, my college experience was
wonderful! I was so happy that my parents, grandparents and my best friend
Kaitlyn could attend the graduation ceremony. With all of my hard work, I
hope I can find a job as a medical transcriptionist.

medicaid may approve high tech devices

By Allen N. Blumenthal

Many members of the NFBNJ already have adaptive technology, but you may not
know that NJ Medicaid (but not HMOs) will approve high tech devices for
blind and visually impaired individuals. You can advocate for yourself by
doing the following:

1.     Get a low vision evaluation from an optometrist or ophthalmologist.
They will need to recommend a particular device, be it a CCTV, adaptive
software, a BrailleNote, a talking scanner or any other device that provides
access to printed material when conventional low vision devices do not.

2.     The doctor must prescribe on a NJ prescription pad. Either an
optometrist or ophthalmologist may do this.

3.     The doctor will write a narrative describing what the functional need
is for your device, your performance, and what other lower tech devices have
been accessed (if appropriate) to justify the need for the adaptive
technology.

4.     The prescription and narrative are sent by the doctor to me as a
Medicaid provider for durable medical equipment.

Please call me at 201-391-1140 if you have any questions.

CAROL CASTELLANO’S NEW BOOK IS OUT:

GETTING READY FOR COLLEGE BEGINS IN THIRD GRADE
Working Toward an Independent Future  for Your Blind/VI Child: Pre--K to
Middle School

Editor’s Note: Carol Castellano is the president of POBC-NJ and a longtime
member of the board of the National Organization of Parents of Blind
Children.

Through years of advocacy for families, author Carol Castellano began to
notice that the education of many blind/visually impaired children went off
track in third or fourth grade.  She also observed that as the children
began to fall further and further behind, no one was thinking about a plan
to get the child caught up.  If a child couldn’t do grade-level math and
reading when in third grade, and he or she kept falling behind, how would
that child ever to be able to handle algebra and college-prep English?

Instead of accepting a lower standard of education for blind/VI children,
Getting Ready for College Begins in Third Grade empowers parents with a plan
for getting and keeping the child’s education on track and for teaching the
additional life skills necessary for an independent future.

Written for parents of pre-K through middle school students, the book
includes chapters on High Expectations, Academics, Independent Living
Skills, Independent Movement and Travel, Social Awareness and Social Skills,
and Developing Self-Advocacy Skills: the Pursuit of a Normal Life.

Highlights of Getting Ready for College Begins in Third Grade include:

*	A unique method for analyzing academic problems and creating a
practical, detailed remediation plan based on the expectation of catching
the child up.  Helpful, clear diagrams bring into focus the array of issues
involved.
*	Independent movement and travel ideas for developing basic concepts,
spatial awareness and the child’s store of knowledge.  How to use the guided
discovery method.  Activities for very young children and children having a
difficult time learning mobility concepts.  Ideas for developing independent
mobility in school.
*	A powerful chapter on social awareness and social skills that
includes ideas for developing the child’s personality and teaching
conversation skills.
*	A common sense, easy-to-use approach for teaching independent living
skills, including a section on how to develop time awareness and time
management skills in your child.

The book is available through Information Age Publishing (704-752-9125,
www.infoagepub.com), the National Center for the Blind (410-659-9314, opt.
4, www.nfb.org) and POBC-NJ (973-377-0976, www.blindchildren.org). Cost is
$25 plus applicable shipping and handling fees.

NUTLEY LIONS HOST SPRING EVENT

By Joe Ruffalo

Editor’s Note: With support from the Nutley Lions Club, Essex SCILS program
manager Joe Ruffalo and ADL instructor Jerilyn Higgins planned this
successful event. Thanks to Rose Hanley, coordinator of volunteers, for her
assistance.

Last May the Nutley Lions Club sponsored a Spring Dance and Social at the
Nutley Parks and Recreation Center for the clients and volunteers of the
Senior Community Independent Living Services (SCILS) of Essex County in West
Orange.  Members of the Northern, Northeast and Central chapters of the
NFBNJ, members of the West Orange-based support group Eyes Closed Hearts
Open, the Union County Association for the Blind, family, friends and well
wishers participated in the afternoon’s activities. With nearly 120 in
attendance, all enjoyed the professional entertainment, fine food, spirited
fellowship, great music and dancing.  Each participant received gifts and
door prizes.

The SCILS identifies Essex County seniors 55 and older with vision loss and
offers visual and/or non-visual skills and techniques so that these elders
can remain independent and active in their community. The program is funded
by the New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired and
administered by the Puerto Rican Association for Human Development, Inc.
(PRAHD) of Perth Amboy. Founded in 1974, PRAHD serves residents of Essex,
Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean and Union counties by “developing human potential
and promoting self sufficiency through the implementation and operation of
programs designed to improve the social, economic, health and educational
status of our community through the provision of appropriate services and
leadership.”

The Nutley Lions Club was established in 1925 and has supported programs of
the Lions that target persons with vision and/or hearing loss locally, as
well as throughout the state, the nation and the world.

A TRAVEL AGENT WHO IS BLIND, NOT A BLIND TRAVEL AGENT

By Cheryl Echevarria, owner of Echevarria Travel

Editor’s Note: In addition to being an independent travel agent, Cheryl is
also treasurer of the Greater Long Island Chapter of the NFB. She is a legal
secretary and in 2008, graduated as the first blind student from Branford
Hall Career Institute as a medical insurance specialist. Catch Cheryl’s
recent interview on ThruOurEyes,org.

I love to travel and had heard that there were companies that allowed their
travel agents to work from home. Intriguing! In 2009, I started
investigating how to make my dream of self employment become a reality.

First off, I went to the NFB Travel and Tourism Talk List and met Maurice
Shackelford, who lives in Georgia. Maurice had been working with Montrose
Travel, which has a AAA rating from the Better Business Bureau, has been in
business for almost 50 years and offers training. I contacted them, and soon
after, started Echevarria Travel as an independent contractor. I’m still
learning and continuing my training, and I hope to be on my own in three to
five years.

Someone asked me what the difference is between using my services and going
to Expedia or Travelocity or other, similar sites? My business is unique
because I focus on blind and visually impaired travelers.

In 2007, while attending my first National Convention in Atlanta, Dr.
Maurer’s banquet speech made a huge impression on me. It focused on
traveling in the airport, where the flight attendants at the gate insisted
he use a wheelchair or wait for someone to assist him. When he finally took
off on his own, someone told him he was going in the wrong direction. He
thanked them, turned around and went the other way. He was making a point of
being independent. I am that independent, and I want other blind people to
be able to travel and enjoy their lives, whether it is visiting our families
in other states or enjoying a trip to Disney with a grandchild.

So, what differentiates my travel business from those others on the
Internet? Specifically, I focus on the accessibility of the location, not
the location itself.  Other travel agents and websites don’t focus on the
needs of blind travelers, such as accessing transportation to and from the
airport, making sure the hotel has a room big enough for a wheelchair, or
Braille on the doors or other locations, or making sure that I have the
information on immigration paperwork for someone traveling with a guide dog
on a cruise. Another area that differentiates my services is that I want you
to get the perfect tour. It’s not so much about the sightseeing, but
perhaps, instead, focusing on other senses and activities, like going to a
garlic festival, smelling the foods or tasting the wines, catering to the
sports enthusiast wanting to climb a mountain or water ski
 this is what I
find for my clients.

Since becoming an agent, I have also been doing some educating, especially
of my host agency. Marion Gwizdala, president of the National Association of
Guide Dog Users, and I did a training webinar for all the travel agents with
Montrose regarding the needs of travelers who are blind. We encouraged the
agents to ask questions so that they can become more attuned to the needs of
all their travelers.

In the past year, I’ve become certified in many cruise lines, locations and
destinations. Also I’ve contacted many tourist boards to learn more about
traveling independently abroad. Did you know that there are access laws
similar to or even stronger than our own for guide dog users?  I’m proud to
own Echevarria Travel, and my goal is to make every travel experience a
beautiful memory.

ENABLING BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED PATIENTS TO ACHIEVE MAXIMAL PERSONAL
AND OCCUPATIONAL GOALS: THE IMPORTANCE OF NONVISUAL SKILLS

By Marvin F. Kraushar, Vito J. DeSantis, James A. Kutsch Jr.,

Gaytha I Kraushar and Joseph J. Ruffalo

Editor’s Note: This article originally appeared in the May 2010 issue of the
American Journal of Ophthalmology.  Dr. Marvin Kraushar, lead author, has
granted permission and approval for our distribution of this needed
information.

When there is no effective treatment for a vision-damaging ocular condition,
or when treatment fails to prevent or restore vision loss, patients may
experience blindness, which, defined on a functional basis, is the inability
to function visually. Less severely affected patients may experience visual
impairment, that is, the ability to function visually but at less than the
optimal level. Depending on patient age at the onset of the vision problem,
desired personal and occupational goals may be unachieved or may have to be
abandoned. People under age 65 who are blind or visually impaired (VI)
comprise a group of patients often lost to maximal vision rehabilitation.
Only 41.5% of the blind population is employed.1 A second, smaller group is
composed of patients over age 65 who are blind or VI. With improvements in
the management of extremely premature newborns and with increasing longevity
of the population, both of these groups can be expected to grow
significantly in future years. Many individuals in both groups spend their
days sequestered in their homes or group facilities. Others may cope with
their situations by setting unnecessarily limited goals.

Alternative, non-visual skills are available to blind and VI people of all
ages seeking higher education or attaining/maintaining competitive careers.
These include: 1) orientation and mobility, 2) Braille skills and 3)
competency in technologies that improve communication and broaden access to
information. No statistics are available regarding the impact of these
skills on the ability of these individuals to enter or remain in the
workforce. Years of experience have shown that many of those blind and VI
individuals who are the most motivated and who are given access to these
skills can achieve or maintain integration within their communities and
retain an ability to compete on the same level as their sighted peers for
higher education and employment (eg, co-authors V.J.D., J.A.K., and J.J.R.).
For these blind and VI individuals, reading, writing and communicating on a
level equal to that of the sighted population is an absolute necessity and
is an attainable goal.

Low-vision aids are not an option for blind people, who have little or no
useful vision. While these modalities are of unquestioned benefit to VI
persons when performing less demanding everyday tasks, reading 10 to 30
words a minute with high-plus magnifiers or closed-circuit television is
restrictive and insufficient for those hoping to attain or maintain their
desired lifestyles or careers in the same competitive environment as the
sighted population.

Patients in both groups often are told by their physicians, “There is
nothing more I can do for you” (eg, co-authors V.J.D., J.A.K. and J.J.R.).
While this sentiment may be accurate on a purely medical basis, there is a
very real psychological benefit associated with “doing something” — which
can provide some desperately needed hope to these patients.2 The ability of
ophthalmologists to provide information regarding the availability of vision
rehabilitation services, specifically non-visual skills, as well as the
encouragement to make use of them can make a profound impact on the
independence and productivity of these individuals.

For blind people, public and private agencies teach adaptive daily living
skills for orientation and mobility, such as personal grooming, dressing,
grocery shopping, homemaking and kitchen skills, thus enhancing independent
living. It is an accepted fact that traveling independently can be expedited
with a long, white cane or a dog guide.

These agencies also provide Braille skills and training in assistive
technologies to blind and VI individuals, thus enabling many of them to
communicate at a level equal to that of the sighted population. Braille is
currently read by only 10% of blind people, but of those, approximately 90%
are employed. This compares to only 30% to 40% of Braille nonreaders.1
Thirty percent of Braille readers have advanced degrees. Common myths
regarding Braille include: only young children can learn Braille; it is too
slow; it is a poor substitute for “normal” reading; and Braille materials
are not readily available. None of these is true. Although scientific data
are not available, there are many blind and VI individuals of all ages who
have learned Braille and can read as fast as sighted people and with the
same level of comprehension.

Recent innovations in assistive technology have dramatically increased
opportunities for blind and VI people to succeed in competitive situations.
Screen readers utilize voice software to read out loud information on a
computer screen. Other devices utilize embossed or refreshable Braille.
Note-takers provide access to e-mail and the Internet through speech and
Braille output. Jobs that have previously been beyond the reach of blind or
VI employees — such as executive positions and jobs in information
technology, medical transcription and teaching, for example —are now open to
those blind and VI individuals who have acquired adaptive skills.

Most nonmedical people — even many ophthalmologists — are unfamiliar with a
truly independent blind or VI individual and, thus, many harbor
misconceptions about blindness. The sighted public's fear of blindness is
exaggerated by the act of closing one's eyes and thinking, “How can I do
anything?” Sighted people, unfamiliar with the independence afforded by
non-visual skills, have low expectations for blind and VI individuals. Even
those blind and VI people who are unaware of the benefits and availability
of non-visual skills harbor these same misconceptions and low expectations
of themselves.

Ophthalmologists naturally concentrate on stabilizing vision and maximizing
remaining vision with emphasis on visual acuity rather than on visual
function. Ophthalmologists tend to think of blindness (20/200 or worse in
the better-seeing eye) and visual impairment (less than 20/40 in the
better-seeing eye) on a visual basis. Blind and VI individuals of all ages
frequently are advised to utilize their remaining vision, predominantly by
means of low-vision aids. For blind individuals especially, putting emphasis
on unreliable vision can foster an attitude of dependence rather than
independence.

Two goals must be attained. First, physicians must shift their attitude from
thinking of vision loss as a deficiency, to that of understanding what is
possible. Thinking of capabilities instead of disabilities emphasizes
strength and opportunity as opposed to weakness and limitation. Don't think,
“Without a dog guide or a cane, Mr. Jones cannot travel.” Think, “With a dog
guide or a cane, Mr. Jones can travel.” Blindness skills thus become
liberating rather than restrictive.

Second, physicians must understand what can be accomplished with non-visual
skills and know where blind and VI individuals can acquire them. The
National Council of State Agencies for the Blind (NCSAB) maintains a
continually updated website, www.ncsab.org, which details the state agencies
for blind and VI individuals in all 50 states. A link for physicians
facilitates acquisition of this information. Vision Serve Alliance, found on
the web at www.visionservealliance.org, is a similar organization of private
agencies that serve blind and VI clients. Ophthalmologists are encouraged to
make this information available to their blind and VI patients and motivate
them to investigate these services that can provide significant enhancement
of their quality of life.

Motivated blind and VI individuals who are made aware of the availability of
non-visual skills and are encouraged to make use of them can achieve high
levels of independence, self-esteem and productivity. However, as valuable
as these assistive technologies may be, Braille, the computer, the dog guide
and the cane only enable the person. It is the individual's attitude and
talent that make him or her successful. The ophthalmologist has a
responsibility and a unique opportunity to educate these individuals. By
means of the ancillary role of counselor and advisor, the ophthalmologist,
who has nurtured the physician-patient relationship, can influence whether
someone takes the first step toward attaining or retaining personal success.

References

  1.  Leonard R. Statistics on Vision Impairment: A Resource Manual. New
York, NY: Arlene R. Gordon Research Institute of Lighthouse International,
The Lighthouse Inc; 2002:14, 29.

2.   Stone EM. Genetic Testing for Inherited Eye Diseases. Arch Ophthalmol
2007; 125:205-212.

3.   Greenblatt SL. What patients with vision loss need to know. In:
Greenblatt SL, ed. Meeting the Needs of People With Vision Loss: A
Multidisciplinary Perspective. Lexington, MA: Resources for Rehabilitation;
1991:7-20.

4.   Ryles R. The impact of Braille reading skills on employment, income,
education and reading habits. J Vis Impair Blind 1996; 90:219-226.

5.   Wormsley DP. Reading rates of young Braille-reading children. J Vis
Impair Blind 1996; 90:278-282.

6.   Congdon N. Causes and prevalence of visual impairment among adults in
the United States: The Eye Disease Prevalence Group. Arch Ophthalmol 2004;
122:477-485.

7.   Massof RW. The role of Braille in the literacy of blind and visually
impaired children. Arch Ophthalmol 2009; 127:1530— 1531.

THE SEARCH FOR A BRAILLE WRITER

In the last issue of The Sounding Board, we ran Agnes Allan’s award-winning
essay entitled “What I like about being a blind person.” Agnes, who lives in
Connecticut, was once a fellow Jerseyan, teacher, social worker and
proofreader. She raised three daughters and is now a grandmother of nine.

Shortly after Agnes’s essay was printed, an announcement appeared on the NFB
listserv. Agnes’s granddaughter, Emily, who is sighted, announced that she
wanted to learn Braille, and that she was looking for a Braille writer.
Never one to let moss grow beneath his feet, Joe Ruffalo started the search
for the Braille writer. Within only a few hours, Ed Fedush, of Garfield, NJ,
donated one. Once Emily got her Braille writer, she sent Joe the following
note, in Braille:

I am truly sorry
 this letter is long overdue. My name is Emily. I am Agnes
Allan’s granddaughter. I would just like to thank you for taking your time
and effort to help me find a Braille typewriter. Honestly, it really meant a
lot to me. Once again, thank you for your time and I wish you every
happiness in the future.

Emily is now on her way to achieving her next goal: becoming a Braille
teacher!

NEWSLINE: NOW THE BLIND HAVE ACCESS TO NEWSPAPER INFORMATION

Editor’s Note: This article is reprinted in part from the Newsline website.
Newsline has just added its 300th publication. To sign up for this service,
go to http://www.nfb.org/nfb/Newspapers_by_Phone.asp.

NFB-NEWSLINE® is at last making it possible for blind individuals to gain
access to the information in newspapers at the same time as their sighted
colleagues, friends and family members. Blind professionals, for example,
can now converse on relevant topics, no longer being under informed about
information critical to their professions or left out at social functions
when the latest editorial is discussed. Beyond this, a wealth of information
primarily found in newspapers is now available to the blind on an equal
footing, making possible their participation in the life of the community on
the basis of equality.

The Internet provides sighted individuals access to thousands of newspapers
and magazines with just a quick search. NFB-NEWSLINE® is the only system
that will bring the blind so much to choose from at the time when the
subscriber wishes to read. More and more papers are beginning to understand
that blind and visually impaired individuals, just as the sighted, need to
have access to their local papers. The numbers of participating papers are
steadily growing. If you wish to have your local paper on NFB-NEWSLINE®, or
are connected with a newspaper which would like to provide the text of its
paper to those who cannot read print, contact
<http://www.nfb.org/nfb/Contact_Us.asp?SnID=1763666967>  the National
Federation of the Blind.

NEWS FROM THE NEW JERSEY STATE LIBRARY TALKING BOOK & BRAILLE CENTER

By Anne McArthur

Audiovision Newspaper Reading Service Available Through Cable TV

The New Jersey State Library Talking Book & Braille Center’s Audiovision
radio reading service of select NJ newspapers is now available on television
to subscribers of Cablevision, Comcast and Verizon Fios.  Newspapers
broadcast include the Asbury Park Press, Bergen Record, Camden Courier Post,
Home News Tribune, Newark Star Ledger, Trenton Times, the South Jersey
edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer, the New York Times and the Wall Street
Journal. TBBC also offers two Jersey magazines recorded at our Trenton
headquarters: NJ Monthly and NJ Life: Health & Beauty. Access instructions
are available at  <http://www.audiovision-nj.org/listen.html>
http://www.audiovision-nj.org/listen.html  or call 1-800-792-8322. Another
way to access Audiovision is through our Internet streaming site at
<http://www.audiovision-nj.org> www.audiovision-nj.org.

TBBC’s Summer Reading Program

TBBC’s Summer Reading Program was a great success, with TBBC patrons reading
Braille, large print and audio.  Favorite books included Matilda by Roald
Dahl and Every Soul a Star by Wendy Mass. Letters and activities were
Brailled for participants.

TBBC is lending Victor Reader Streams to 40 young patrons as part of a pilot
program. While still in the middle of the program, we are already seeing an
increase in BARD registrations and downloads from the participants.

Keep up to date with what is going on with the Youth Services department by
reading our online newsletter at
<http://njsltbbc.org/youth_services/newsletter>
http://njsltbbc.org/youth_services/newsletter or following us on Twitter at
<http://twitter.com/NJSLTBBC> http://twitter.com/NJSLTBBC.

The Children’s Department frequently visits libraries and schools to talk
about the library and about Braille literacy. If you know of a school or a
library that would like a visit, please contact us at 609-530-3251.

FROM THE KITCHEN OF JERILYN HIGGINS

Editor’s Note: Jerilyn Higgins is an active member of the NFBNJ and serves
as first vice president, chapter president, scholarship chairperson and
co-editor of The Sounding Board.  She is employed as an ADL instructor in
the Essex SCILS program and is a Northern Region mentor in the LEAD program.
In her spare time, Jerilyn can be found in the kitchen cooking up her
favorites, such as these three holiday specialities.

Impossible Apple Pie

Ingredients:

3 cups sliced peeled all-purpose apples (3 large)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter  softened
2 eggs

Method:

Heat oven to 325 degrees

Grease 9-inch pie plate

Stir together apples, cinnamon and nutmeg

Turn into pie plate

Stir remaining ingredients until blended, and then pour over apples

Sprinkle with streusel (recipe below)

Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean

Streusel

1/2 cup Bisquick
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons  butter

Stir all ingredients together until crumbly

Butter Nut Ball Cookies

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour

½ tsp salt

2 tsp vanilla extract

½ cup confectioner’s sugar

1 cup butter (2 sticks) at room temperature

2 cups chopped walnuts

Method:

Set oven to 350 degrees

Sift flour, sugar and salt together

Work in the butter and then add the vanilla extract

Add nuts

Roll into balls

Bake on greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart, at 350 degrees for 10 minutes

While still warm, roll in confectioner’s sugar

Snowball Cookies

Ingredients:

3 sticks butter at room temperature

3 cups all purpose flour

¾ cup confectioner’s sugar

2 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups chocolate chips

Method:

Set oven to 350 degrees

Beat together the confectioner’s sugar, butter and vanilla extract

Add the flour, one cup at a time

Mix all ingredients and then add the chocolate chips

Drop rounded snowballs about 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheet

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes

Remove from cookie sheet and roll warm cookies in confectioner’s sugar

NFBNJ CHAPTER NEWS

Editor’s Note: You’ll find contact and meeting information for all our
Chapters, Programs, Associations and Divisions on pages 27-28 of this issue.

AT-LARGE CHAPTER, by Joe Ruffalo, Coordinator

All members of the NFBNJ are invited to join the members of the At-Large
Chapter during its monthly conference call. The objective of this chapter is
to include those who cannot attend a chapter meeting in their area in the
activities of the NFBNJ. This year’s State Convention was hosted by the
At-Large Chapter.

CAPITAL CHAPTER, by Mary Jo Partyka, President

The Capital Chapter is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, and we’re
certainly proud of this milestone! For our Meet the Blind Month activity, we
visited an assisted living facility to explain how blind people live and
work. We are aware that many residents have vision problems and could
benefit from hearing the NFB philosophy.

CENTRAL JERSEY CHAPTER, by Jerilyn Higgins, President

We had a successful Meet the Blind Month activity at the Metuchen Country
Fair. Our holiday party will be December 17 at  Haley’s  Harp and Pub; the
cost is $25. Call Lynn Reynolds for more information. In April we will
celebrate our 12th anniversary with our annual anniversary breakfast. Each
month our chapter members participate in the Grace Lutheran Church food
drive by bringing the food item of the month to our meeting. If you’re
interested in joining us and are registered with Middlesex County Area
Transit, call Kelly Leary at 732-388-1322 to reserve a ride to the meeting.

GARDEN STATE CHAPTER, by Linda DeBerardinis

Greetings from the Garden State Chapter! Last spring we had a small
fundraiser and donated a portion of the proceeds to one of our members who
was attending an independence program.

We are proud to announce that Elizabeth Morgan, our youngest member,
attended BISM for six weeks last summer. She came back more self assured and
capable. Ed Godfrey, our chapter president, attended a leadership seminar at
the NFB Center in Baltimore. Sandie Litsinger, one of our members, recently
spoke to the NJ Nurses Association. Melissa Hurff was unanimously voted our
new secretary.

Our annual picnic was held at Red Bank Battlefield Park with lots of food,
friendship and fun. Our Meet the Blind Month activities included having an
information table at both Boscov’s in the Cumberland Mall and at the Marfin
Foundation Event, in the Adolf Hotel in Mount Laurel.  We are now selling
candles and holiday items to help boost our treasury.

NORTHEAST CHAPTER, by Debbie Azzarone

Hello from the Northeast Chapter! Although our chapter took the summer off,
two of our members remained very busy. Tara Carty started her own blog,
www.tarastake.com, on the subjects of diabetes, blindness and life in
general, and Shafeka Hashash was one of a group of teens who participated in
a conference in Syria. Shafeka recently shared her most interesting
experiences with us as a guest on Joe Ruffalo’s radio show. I strongly
suggest you listen to the podcast; it was fantastic! We’ve resumed our
monthly meetings, and our focus now is fundraising so that we can continue
sponsoring members who wish to attend conventions, Washington seminars and
various other activities throughout the year.

NORTHERN CHAPTER, by Rick Fox

The Northern Chapter has elected the following officers: President, Rebecca
Irvin; Vice President, Rick Fox; Secretary, Laurel King; and Treasurer,
Kathleen Benjamin. If you want a supportive community that will help you in
your efforts to achieve your life’s goals, and if you want to help others as
well, come join us as we change what it means to be blind in our
communities, our state and our nation.

NFBNJ PROGRAMS, ASSOCIATIONS & DIVISIONS NEWS

ADOPT ADAPTIVE EQUIPMENT, by Lynn Reynolds

Two new items are available for adoption: a 19” monitor and a Braille
Blazer.  We also have magnifiers available. Contact Ed Godfrey or me if you
would like to donate an item or if you are in need of an item.  We make a
match if we can, and it’s up to the two parties to arrange the exchange of
the items.

ASSOCIATION OF BLIND MERCHANTS, by Anna DeSantis

During the 2010 National Convention, Nicky Gacos was elected president of
the National Association of Blind Merchants.  Nicky has worked for many
years for the rights of blind merchants under the Randolph-Sheppard Act.
Through Nicky's efforts, blind merchants across the country have benefited
from creative efforts such as rebates and teaming-up with national brands.
Congratulations, Nicky!

ASSOCIATION OF GUIDE DOG USERS, by Vincent Chaney

As advocates for guide dog users, we work to inform public places of the
legal rights of those who use service dogs. This year we’ll advocate
altering the guide dog laws from a civil offense to a criminal offense where
appropriate. When our division is prepared, we will look to our NFBNJ family
and friends to contact their senators and assembly persons in New Jersey to
aid us in our cause. I presented our objectives before the NFB NAGDU
Division in Dallas this past July.

DIABETES DIVISION, by Vincent Chaney

The Diabetes Division is proud to have celebrated our second anniversary as
a division at this year’s State Convention. We’re also pleased to have had
our third workshop at the convention. We had many people join us for
discussions with Advanced Diabetic Solutions, who were with us again this
year. Jordan Benis and Tina Rockwell discussed the Solo V2, as well as their
company’s efforts in working with us. They answered many of our questions.
To further support the NJ Diabetes Division, they will occasionally join us
in our phone conference calls.

The new Diabetes Division e-mail list has been created on the
<http://www.nfbnet.org> http://www.nfbnet.org to locally support our
members. Please use this tool to ask questions and share information and
diabetic concerns within New Jersey. Use this link and then find the
NJ-Diabetes-Division link to join our group list.

Our monthly meetings cover topics such as diet, blood glucose meters, blood
testing, insulin, insulin pens, insulin pumps and any other diabetic
interests of our members. Watch www.nfbnj.org for the next Diabetes Division
meeting.

division to promote the use of Braille, by Mary Jo Partyka

During the past summer, the Braille Division recognized eight people in New
Jersey who participated in the NFB National Braille Readers are Leaders
contest. In addition to writing each participant a Braille letter, the
Braille Division presented each person with a gift which will enable them to
practice reading and writing Braille. We commend the participants for their
efforts. The Braille Readers are Leaders contest runs from November to
January of each year and is open to children and adults. Applications and
directions for entering the contest are available at Braille.org. Watch
upcoming Braille Monitors for information about this year’s contest.

Braille Division members continue to mentor those who wish to learn Braille.
We have also gathered materials and demonstrated the use of Braille at
schools, churches and for scout troops. If you would like to learn Braille,
please contact me by telephone or e-mail, and I will attempt to find someone
who may be able to help you in this endeavor. The Braille Division is always
in need of mentors who can teach the fundamentals of Braille, so please
contact me if you would like to become a mentor.

PARENTS OF BLIND CHILDREN, by Carol Castellano

        We sure had a busy spring!  In May, our full-day seminar, A World of
Possibilities, featured Mike Hingson, the blind man who escaped the World
Trade Center, as well as Accessible Science with science teacher Dr. Lillian
Rankel and teacher of the blind Marilyn Winograd, and a fabulous
presentation on possibilities from student Shafeka Hashash.  Rounding out
the afternoon were workshops on IEPs, Commission services, technology, O&M
and child development.  While the adults were busy learning and networking,
the kids were happily involved in Diggin’ into Science with the science
teachers, and creative movement and music with instructor Gina DiArchangel.

        At the end of May, we held our first ever Swing Into Spring
fundraiser concert and dance. This event featured Reeds, Rhythm and All That
Brass, an 18-piece jazz orchestra, a free dance lesson and all the dessert
you could eat!  Between ticket sales, donations and our raffles, the event
raised a considerable amount for POBC and NFBNJ.  We’re looking forward to
doing it again next year.

TECHNOLOGY DIVISION, by Michele Chaney

Over the past year, the Technology Division has had regular conference call
meetings. Some of us attended the National Convention where we met with
technical exhibitors and attended technology seminars, and in recent months,
the division has provided technical support to several members.

ThruOurEyes.Org, by Lenny Azzarone

Thru OurEyes.org and the WTOE Radio Network recently added WTOE videocasts,
which means that when we transmit our live Internet radio shows, they are
also available as live video. We encourage everyone to listen and watch our
live shows as they’re being recorded. You'll get an insider’s look at the
show setup, setting up Skype with each host and guest, and all the
complications that go along with doing live shows. It’s almost as
entertaining as the show itself! If you prefer to listen to the shows
without studio chatter, then you should continue to listen to our radio
stream via our Main page or JAWS page. Links to the Simulcast are available
on these pages as well. All show videos are archived and available any time
on our Podcast and Simulcast pages.

To reach as many people as possible, all our shows are now available on
uStream.tv along with a 15-minute version available on YouTube.com. By using
these social networking tools, along with Facebook, we’ve seen a significant
increase in the number of new listeners. To further expand upon this
premise, we now offer a free app for the iPhone, iTouch, Blackberry and
Android smartphone operating systems, thereby allowing you to listen to
every podcast on your smartphone.

Thru Our Eyes would also like to remind all New Jersey Chapters, as well as
NFB listeners throughout the country, to advertise their events for free on
the WTOE Radio Network. Simply call our toll free number, 1-888-572-0141,
select extension 85, and record your message. Messages should be limited to
one minute maximum.

Lastly, Thru Our Eyes would like to welcome Kathy Gabry and The Sounding
Board, as well as The Talking Book and Braille Center (New Jersey Library
for the Blind) to our expanding show line up. Thanks for listening!

NFBNJ CONTACT INFORMATION

NFB National Center

    President

        Marc Maurer                                   410-659-9314

NFB State Affiliate

    President

        Joseph Ruffalo                               973-743-0075

    First Vice President

        Jerilyn Higgins                                973-239-8874

    Second Vice President

        Mary Jo Partyka                             609-888-5459

    Secretary

        Beatrice Oliveti                             201-430-9314

    Treasurer

        Tom Ferry                                         973-694-5922

    Board Members

        Evelyn Valdez                                 908-206-8701

        Dan Facchini                                   201-906-8655

        Lynn Reynolds                                908-251-5510

        Ryan Stevens                                  856-858-3518

        Linda DeBerardinis                       856-764-7014

        Michele Chaney                            732-251-8650

NFB of NJ Chapters, Meeting Info and President’s Contact Info

At-Large Chapter

        Last Thursday (confirm on website)

712-432-0180

                                                  and enter code 460994

Capital Chapter

Third Sat., Lawrence Library, 2751 Brunswick Pike, Lawrenceville,

10 a.m.

Mary Jo Partyka                                 609-888-5459

<mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com> choirnfb at gmail.com

Central Jersey Chapter

Second Sat., Grace Lutheran Church, Perth Amboy, 9:30 a.m. - noon

Jerilyn Higgins                                    973-239-8874

                                           jdhiggins3 at verizon.net

Cumberland/Salem Chapter

Third Mon., Tri-County Independent Living Center, Millville, 10:30 a.m.

Anna Jordan                                        856-696-3905

                                           <mailto:ajjordan29 at verizon.net>
ajjordan29 at verizon.net

Garden State Chapter

    Third Sat., Kennedy Memorial Hospital,

Cherry Hill, 10 a.m.

    Ed Godfrey                                           856-906-4516

<javascript:parent.ComposeTo('egodfrey137 at comcast.net',%20'');>
egodfrey137 at comcast.net

Northeast Chapter

Third Sat., St. Mathew’s Church, Secaucus, 10 a.m. coffee, meeting at 11
a.m. www.ThruOurEyes.org

    Dan Facchini                                        201-906-8655

<mailto:danfb at verizon.net> danfb at verizon.net

Northern Chapter

Third Sat., Free Public Library, 3rd Floor, Newark, 10 a.m. - noon

    Rebecca Irvin                                      973-723-6559

                                               rirvin14 at optonline.net

Ocean Chapter

Second Sat., Ocean County Public Library, Toms River

Mary Dockery                                     732-349-2456

                                         mary-ob43 at comcast.net

NFB of NJ Divisions

Association of Blind Merchants

    Anna DeSantis                                    732-462-4604

                                              annades at optonline.net

Association of Blind Students

Evelyn Valdez                                     908-206-8701

                                                             www.njabs.org

                                  <mailto:tweetybaby19 at comcast.net>
tweetybaby19 at comcast.net

Association of Guide Dog Users

Vincent Chaney                                 732-251-8650

                                         vgc732 at optonline.net

Diabetes Division

    Vincent Chaney
732-251-8650

                                                 vgc732 at optonline.net

 <mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com> choirnfb at gmail.com

Parents of Blind Children

    Carol Castellano                                973-377-0976

<http://www.blindchildren.org> www.blindchildren.org

                                         <mailto:blindchildren at verizon.net>
blindchildren at verizon.net

Technology Division

Michele Chaney                                732-251-8650

 <mailto:msc732 at optonline.net> msc732 at optonline.net

Programs and Projects

Adopt Adaptive Equipment

    Lynn Reynolds                                    908-251-5510

<mailto:lhr1827 at optonline.net> lhr1827 at optonline.net

    Ed Godfrey                                           856-848-6372

                                          <mailto:egodfrey137 at comcast.net>
egodfrey137 at comcast.net

Blind Children’s Resource Center

blindchildren at verizon.net

Braille Mentoring Program

    Sue Tillett                                            609-924-7489

                                                 suetillett at verizon.net

    Mary Jo Partyka                                 609-888-5459

<mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com> choirnfb at gmail.com

Imagination Fund

Evelyn Valdez                                     908-206-8701

                                 tweetybaby19 at comcast.net

Legislative Coordinator

    Lynn Reynolds                                    908-251-5510

<mailto:lhr1827 at optonline.net> lhr1827 at optonline.net

Membership

    Beatrice Oliveti                                 201-430-9314

                                        <mailto:beatrice.oliveti at gmail.com>
beatrice.oliveti at gmail.com

    Linda DeBerardinis                           856-764-7014

                                                     ldeber at comcast.net

NFB Newsline

    William Dougherty                           800-792-8322

                       <http://www.nfb.org/newsline1.htm>
http://www.nfb.org/newsline1.htm

Scholarship

   Jerilyn Higgins              973-239-8874

                                               jdhiggins3 at verizon.net

Thru Our Eyes/Internet Radio

Lenny Azzarone                                 800-572-0181

                                             www.ThruOurEyes.org

                                          vdoman at optonline.net

PLEASE NOTE:

Deadline for the Spring 2011 issue of The Sounding Board is March 1, 2011.

Articles received after this date will be held for the Fall 2011 issue.

CHECK US OUT ON THE WEB AT

 <http://www.nfbnj.org> www.nfbnj.org     <http://www.blindchildren.org>
www.blindchildren.org     <http://www.thruoureyes.org> www.thruoureyes.org
<http://www.njabs.org> www.njabs.org

To receive The Sounding Board and other information via e-mail,

please contact Beatrice Oliveti at  <mailto:beatrice.oliveti at gmail.com>
beatrice.oliveti at gmail.com.

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB