[Nfb-editors] Making the newsletter work

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 12 19:53:33 UTC 2011

Perhaps my ideals are lofty, but when we turn to regurgitating material
produced by other affiliates, or simply publishing a fact sheet or
calendar of events, are we really providing an essential publication, or
are we becoming redundant?

In this information age, is it necessary to reproduce material and
information readily available elsewhere?

When it comes to borrowing material from other newsletters, I support
this in terms of a couple articles, or ones that express an idea
creatively and inovatively, or explain a concept in new and fresh ways,
but reprinting is something editors must find a balance in.  I say it is
better to publish a small newsletter than to fill it with borrowed
material unless said material is stellar.  There is the potential to
reprint, and rely on, material from other publications, and at a certain
point, it becomes ridiculous to continue publishing a newsletter as an
original concept even if properly citing your sources.

As for a one page publication listing events or reminders or brief
snippets of news, this seems equally pointless.  Many of us are already
bombarded by emails, phone calls and online sources with daily
Federation news.  Most anyone has access to this news so why bother
creating another medium with the same information?

And I understand this may not be the case for all affiliates, but much
of our news both nationally and locally is disiminated via email by our
affiliate.  So in the matter of simply reporting Federation happenings,
it would be redundant to produce this news and masqerade it as a
newsletter.

With our website, chapter meetings, almost daily emails from National as
well as affiliate, Newsline, Twitter and Facebook and the general
multitudes of news sources, what is the point for any person to produce
material that is already available through so many means?

If we can not bring a creative approach and individual expression to an
affiliate newsletter, I don't feel it is a necessary publication.  The
point seems to be to connect members state-wide encouraging, supporting,
informing and building up.  It also allows other affiliates as well as
the general public to understand the heart of the organization, but
specifically how a single affiliate celebrates the philosophy, structure
and goals of the Federation.

To wittle a publication down to a single piece of paper-- a memo of
sorts-- or to rely too much on borrowed articles, we lose sight of what
a newsletter can, and should, accomplish.  Without an individual sense
of expression we simply report, and often repeat, without digging for a
heart beat to give that information life and meaning.

Bridgit

Message: 3