[Nfb-editors] Blacklisting

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Mar 22 03:23:09 UTC 2011

Joe,

Why are you using such loaded terms?  There is nothing unsavary about expelling a member if that member violates a
policy they knowingly accepted when they joined.  There is nothing arcane about wanting to actually be "of the
blind" and not just saying we are?  You think that somehow human beings have gone through some huge change
during the past twenty-five years.  There have been changes, but humans haven't changed all that much.  One
doesn't have bylaws to guide everyday activities, one has them to guide during the difficult times.  is there some huge
group of sighted persons just waiting to join and do our bidding if we only changed our constitution?  If there are, and
that group became the majority, would we still be "of the blind?"  You seem to forget that we are an imperfect
organization because we are made up of imperfect beings living within an imperfect society, and this can result in
situations that don't have perfect solutions.  Show me amn example where people who wish to be members are being
kept out and we'll help come up with a way to work it out.  I have always been supportive of equal rights for women.
However, if a group of men claimed they should be able to form a voting block within a women's civil rights
organization and be a majority, I would have to ask why?  Even if such a group had noble goals, a group of men
should not be deciding
the direction that women should take as a majority.  The same is, in my opinion, true for us.  It isn't that having a
majority of sighted voting members necessarily means that each of those members is anything but well-intentioned, but
it means that the direction is being set by people who are not truly stakeholders.  This is the kind of thing I would think
you would understand.

I feel strongly about some of these things because I was the chapter president who had to deal with the take-over that
Tom Scanlan mentioned earlier.  I also was present when a couple of our members made a point to say they were are
members while testifying against us in our state legislature.  I don't want to come together and hash out positions and
finally come to a vote and then all go home and do our own thing as if we never adopted a policy.  Some
organizations do function that way but I'm glad we don't.  This means I do sometimes support others on issues that I
may feel are not what I would want, but it also means I have their support on issues I think are important even when
they may feel otherwise.  If the day comes that I feel I am compromising my positions more often than I am being
supported, then it will be time for me to leave.  However, often I find there is a benefit in understanding a position I
didn't support.  It can be broadening.

I think that too often some think that
this is all some sort of intellectual exercise rather than being real life.  We are too small a minority to come together and
ageree on a position and then go home and ignore them.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson