[Nfb-editors] Blacklisting

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Tue Mar 22 17:21:12 UTC 2011

I am puzzled. We have made errors in choosing successors. Dr. Jernigan chose
Ralph Sanders as his heir apparent before he stepped down for a year due to
illness. Then he came back next election, but saw to it that Ralph had a
spot on the board as Immediate Past President. It wasn't until later that
Ralph's flaws became apparent. Soon after this he was national rep to the NH
state convention, and spent much of the convention drunk, and trying to make
a pass at our member Donna Maglin. Still he IS part of our history.

It is years since I looked at a publication called something like The Blind
Who Lead the Blind. Around the time of the Civil War Dr. ten Broek had
stepped down for a while and we had three different presidents. Are they
still listed? One was John Taylor, whom Dr. Jernigan later appointed to
succeed him as head of the Iowa Commission. Unfortunately Taylor did not
work out, and we had to work to get him replaced. I imagine he is no longer
on the list of past presidents. It is almost 20 years since I read WALKING
ALONE AND MARCHING TOGETHER, and do not remember whether these were
mentioned. Did any of them give banquet speeches? I noted in WA&MT that
Sanders's banquet speech was not included, and was told that this was
because it did not cover new ground or really advance our cause.

Ed Meskys