[Nfb-editors] [NFB-editors] Question- What staff is needed to produce a newsletter

Barbara Pierce bpierce at oberlin.net
Tue Mar 22 12:37:35 UTC 2011

Ohio has an editor and a production editor. We are very lucky in that one
person can do the layout and maintain the database. I guess I should add my
husband, who is the proofreader. Now that I think about it, we pay a man to
record the newsletter and prepare a CD with audio files for the CD edition
and wave files for downloading to NEWSLINE and our Website. Our president
gets the university where he works to duplicate the CDs, and he fills the
mailers and puts on the labels. I label the print newsletters. All these
things are jobs that could be spread out, but, the more things are spread,
the more time it takes. In passing let me urge the importance of a good
proofreader. I hope it is unfair to judge the quality of the editing done in
newsletters by the number of grammatical and punctuation errors made on this
list, but the mistakes made here are a stark reminder if any is needed that
we are but human and can benefit from review by another mind. I, by the way,
have my email set so that every message is spell-checked before it goes out.
When I am being very careful, I reread and edit my posts. I think editors
should try to be above casual mistakes.

Cheers,
Barbara