[Nfb-editors] Question- What staff is needed to produce a newsletter

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Tue Mar 22 11:04:55 UTC 2011

This depends on the size of the newsletter;
When Slate & Style began, we had contributing writers, but I did the
duplication of cassettes and large print.   However, when it expanded, we had a
full staff:   I collected and on occasion wrote the articles, edited them and
set up the format.  The file was then passed along to the Braillist (John
Hemphill for a while, now Victor Hemphill, but we also had Northern Nevada
Braille Transcribers earlier on).   John had a proofreader who checked the
Braille, and who passed along all errors to me to fix.   Then the file went to
Tom and Helen Stevens, who gave it another proofing, and sent it to the
Printer.   Tom distributed the print copies.   John Hemphill ran the Braille and
sent them out.   I sent out the electronic copies.   On occasion, David
(Stayer) also proofread for me.   Counting contributors, we probably had upwards
of ten or fifteen people handling the issue.   We had an Associate editor
as well who would also write articles.   A good newsletter is not a
one-person job.   Please note, that you need to trust your editor, and not
second-guess her, changing things before they are sent out without consulting her.
If you have the proper editor, her knowledge of grammar, punctuation and good
writing will be more than adequate.   Having the right editor also
presupposes he or she is cognizant of Federation philosophy.
Lori Stayer