[Nfb-editors] In terms of questioning NFB policy

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 18:36:11 UTC 2011

Everyone,

First, I understand the finer points of "free speech" as I had to write
a 30-page paper on it early in my college career.  I simply meant ones
choice, and right, to address concerns with an organization.

I appreciate those who have been willing to answer questions instead of
deflecting them.

I am in league with the past reasoning within the Federation as well as
our current stance on many issues.

I have been around for the Braille legislation-- I was just using it as
an example since it is still current.  I have not always been blind, but
I find it appalling that so many-- including the blind-- believe Braille
is obselete and cumbersome to learn.

Here in Nebraska we are pushing for local Braille legislation, and it
has been a long battle.  Education officials refuse to listen and yet we
are the ones using Braille.  I am a cynic, but perhaps I am naïve.  Why
would we, the users of Braille, lie about our position?  Is not the
proof in the pudding?  And can someone explain that phrase?  LOL

A ceasfire has been issued on the list, and I apologize for tilling the
ground as it were.  I am not interested in being controversial or
shocking.  When I have questions, I ask, and I want to fully understand
the cogworks of the organization.  Often this is seen as controversial,
and the term, "trouble maker," has been thrown around before, but I am
genuinly interested and curious.

But I am sorry for any offended or turned off by any of my remarks.
While the topic may have drifted, I do not believe I said anything
shocking or derogatory about the Federation.

I believe a dialogue helps us grow and learn, but I also agree we can
not discuss and debate every fine detail as we exist out there in the
ether.

Some of these discussions have gone on too long, however, as editors of
NFB publications, it is good to understand our organization and to find
an appreciation of our causes and stances.

Our publications often are the face of the Federation, and we should be
armed and prepared for what comes next.

While some disagree, I believe any discussion revolving around blindness
brings us to a better understanding of ourselves, of the NFB and of the
world around us, which leads to strong Federationist and stronger
newsletters.

You have to admit, the list has been jumping, and I enjoy the process of
a philosophical discussion.  *smile*

So here is to a fresh start.  We have discussed aspects of each others
editing process, where do we go?  Any ideas, Robert?  Where can we move
on from this point?

Bridgit

Message: 11