[Nfb-editors] Purpose of an NFB Publication

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Wed Mar 23 13:45:08 UTC 2011

Dear Listers

RE: The purpose of our Publications

"the who, what, where, and why" of the purpose of our various newsletter
type of publications --- I've seen this touched on in various places and at
various times. And I've seen some editors write in glowing terms, with pride
in the success of their publications and rightly so. I bet, that one super
major factor in the makeup of a successful editor and newsletter is --- the
editor knows its purpose (the what that needs to go into it; the who that it
is intended for; the where that it will be distributed; the why they and
their staff and contributors sweat and joy over their product).

Here is my question- In terms of clarity on purpose, what guidance in
thought can we give to a new editor, or the members of a fellow affiliate
who are now not producing a newsletter to do so --- of the type as
Nebraska's "The Nebraska Independent," Connecticut's "The Federationist in
Connecticut," New Mexico's "Que Pasa," Ohio's "The Buckeye Bulletin," and
others of this type?

(Note: some states, in terms of communicating with members, do put out a
weekly, or monthly letter from the affiliate President. As well, some post
news and information to their websites. And in general make use of mediums
other than the larger "newsletters" as referred to above.)

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB

President, NFB Writers' Division

Division Website