[Nfb-editors] Article feedback

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue May 3 20:23:16 UTC 2011

Chris,

I agree with your sentiments, and I don't think it was inappropriate to
publish this article in your newsletter.  Maybe it will catch readers
attention!  *smile*

Trying to experience blindness with sleep shades with no one to help
train and guide (by guide I mean as a teacher, not physically) is not a
realistic idea.  Most likely, the person will walk away from that
situation feeling frustrated and thinking blindness is one of the worse
things to happen since they will not have learned any of the tools or
methods we use.

At my university, we had an activity where people could go on wheelchair
tours of campus in an attempt to show how bad accessibility is on
campus.  The result, people mostly made comments on how much it sucks to
be in a wheelchair.  They didn't even think about the accessibility of
wheelchair ramps, but instead focused on how difficult it was because no
one was there to explain things.

This is what happens when we insist sighted people try wearing sleep
shades.

By the way, I challenge all editors to not use the language that has
become over-used with the NFB.  Try to put things in your own words.  We
often become redundant with the language used like ," With training and
positive attitude...," or, "Equal opportunity.."

This becomes boring, I think, and it doesn't always mean the same thing
to readers not affiliated with the NFB.  Sometimes we need a fresh
approach.

Just an opinion-- not suggesting we change the organization or anything
like that.  Simply be creative and express our goals and mission through
our own terms.  Of course official things should retain this language,
however.

Bridgit

Message: 2