[Nfb-editors] Reaching younger generation through social media

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue May 10 22:42:33 UTC 2011

True, each generation thinks the last was, like totally weird.  *grin*
And vice-versus.  By the way, is that how you spell that?  I've never
actually thought to ask.  When you speak it, it sounds like, vice versa,
but never really thought about spelling.

Anyway, I don't think it is a matter of how the younger generation
responds and acts.  I think the world in general has changed.
Technology really has changed and shaped our world.  It is no longer a
matter of generation- we all have to adjust and grow with these changes.

I think I'm from the last generation before this tech boom really hit.

When I was in high school, mobile phones were rare.  They existed, but
people, especially people my age, did not use them, or they were for
emergency purposes.  And texting was not around yet.  Pagers were still
the popular item.

We emailed and IM-ing was big, but we didn't have these social media
cites keeping us glued to our computers.

Digital books and music did not exist.  We still went to the library and
read hard copies.

In fact, we didn't have any portable devices except for walk-mans and CD
players.  We were not constantly connected to the web and all that comes
along with that.

Video games and computer games were popular, but not to the level they
are now.  We started it, but the next generation really took off with
video games.

Now everything, for better or for worse, is tech based.

Everyone has jumped on board, for the most part, and we all have to
learn how to deal with this.

My worries are that people do not care about things as much as they use
to.  It may be hard to imagine this since some of us still are
passionate, and our groups have a similar mindset, but the world at
large does not have the same passion towards things.  I'm 29 and I have
observed this.

With the constant connection to the entire world, so much good can come
from that, but many of us, myself included, spend more time in front of
mind-numbing, unimportant stuff.  As far as I'm concerned, there is a
line that can be drawn between the rise in technology and the
impassionate nature of so many.  Just my observation.

Boy, I'm tired of talking about this.  If were not part of the solution,
we're part of the problem.  *smile*

Bridgit

Message: 3