[Nfb-editors] Minnesota Newsletter

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri May 6 17:14:53 UTC 2011

Not sure you all took the time to go and download Tom's affiliate newsleter
--- so here it is!

             MINNESOTA

                      BULLETIN

Quarterly Publication of the

National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota, Inc.

100 East 22nd Street

Minneapolis, Minnesota 55404

Voice:  (612) 872-9363

Website:  http://www.nfbmn.org/

Tom Scanlan, Editor

E-mail tom.scanlan at earthlink.net

Volume 77, Number 2, Spring 2011

WE ARE CHANGING

WHAT IT MEANS

TO BE BLIND

There are several ways to keep up with, as well as interact with, the most
active group of blind people in Minnesota

.        Join the discussion list for Minnesota on NFBNET at
www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/minnesota-talk_NFBNET.ORG

.        Follow @nfbmn on Twitter at twitter.com/nfbmn

.        Become a fan on Facebook by searching for National Federation of
the Blind of Minnesota at www.facebook.com/

Table of Contents

President's Column. 1

Andy Virden, a Dedicated Member and Friend. 5

Is There a Place for Visually Impaired Individuals in NFB?. 11

Serving As a Blind Federal Juror 14

Remembering the Convention In 2010. 16

A Little Something for Our Seniors Division. 29

Convention Alert! 31

Chapter and Other Meetings to Remember 31

Acknowledgements. 32

President's Column

On The Importance of Training for the Experts

By Jennifer Dunnam

"I spent the next week huddled in my basement sobbing.  I mourned the vision
I had lost, but mostly I cried because I was terrified about what awaited
me.  I cried out of fear I wouldn't see my two daughters, barely five and
two, grow up.  I cried about lost future candlelight dinners with my husband
and about the burden I feared I would become to him.  I cried because I
couldn't drive anymore and because I was scared I wouldn't be able to work.
I cried over lost sunsets, ocean views, and any other beautiful scenery I
would miss out on.  I cried until finally it occurred to me that I could
still see and that maybe, instead of mourning the unknown future, I should
concentrate on Now."

The above is an excerpt from a searingly articulate piece about the early
stages of adjusting to blindness, by Ingrid Ricks, that appeared recently in
salon.com magazine called "What I Learned by Going Blind."  The full story
can be found at Salon.com Life Stories

The author vividly describes the all-too-familiar experience of learning
that she was becoming blind, her first reactions of fear and sadness, and
then her beginning to come to terms with it by holding on tightly to the
here and now, learning what things to avoid, and doing all she could to
preserve her sight.  This story and many like it often strike people as a
comforting, inspirational story of someone coming to accept difficulty and
embrace a new situation.  To me, it is yet another stark reminder of the
vital importance of the work we do in the National Federation of the Blind.

This is clearly a very intelligent, capable person, whose world is slowly
becoming more and more limited as her sight diminishes.  She speaks of
things she has learned to avoid; they include treadmills, crowds, dark
places, and coffee houses that allow dogs (a tripping hazard).

When she went to her optometrist, his reaction after the diagnosis was to
hand her a piece of paper with the number of the center for the blind and
basically tell her there was nothing else that could be done.  Perhaps even
a few words from an optometrist, like "At this center, you'll find you can
still do the things you want to do, just using different techniques," could
have planted seeds to help her see a brighter future.  But optometrists (and
ophthalmologists) are focused on the medical and the cure, and when a cure
is not available it is seen as a failure.  It is implicit in the article
that the author did not connect with the "Center for the blind."

It is a good thing to appreciate the present.  The sadness and the harm
comes when a person avoids dealing with the future because she does not have
help to know that the future can be just as full of beauty and wonder.  One
can see from the story that its author may be coming to accept her blindness
by shrinking her expectations instead of finding new ways to meet normal
expectations.  But is her reaction really any different from what it would
be for anyone in her situation?  To see things differently, she needs help
from people who are supposed to know better - from people who can help her
by connecting her with resources and successful blind role models to
counteract the pervasive societal conceptions about blindness, and by their
own example of positive attitudes, help her begin to see the real
possibilities for her.  One would hope that if and when she does connect
with a rehabilitation agency, she will have a better chance of finding this
kind of help.  Would that such an assumption were a certainty.

Last year the National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota was instrumental
in the passage of a law requiring that newly hired rehabilitation counselors
(who often come to State Services for the Blind with little to no background
in blindness) undergo six weeks of blindness-specific training under sleep
shades before working with people who are blind.  We are keenly interested
to see that the purpose of this legislation - to improve the quality of work
with blind people and thereby improve the prospects for true independence
and meaningful employment - is realized.

It came to the attention of the NFB recently that the
adjustment-to-blindness training process was not going well at all for a
rehabilitation counselor at SSB.  The counselor displayed unwillingness to
meet the requirements of the training program, particularly the requirements
of learning under sleep shades.  The issues came to light in front of other
students in the training program and others.  The counselor walked out of
the training after only a week.

Of course, we are concerned for the future of the blind people who will work
with an individual who behaved this way and who apparently lacked an
understanding of the purpose of adjustment-to-blindness training and the
need for blind people to develop independence.  How would such a person be
able truly to think in terms of the independence of blind people?  How could
she help foster positive attitudes and provide good advice to customers
about adjustment-to-blindness training options?  How, in the face of the
massive misconceptions about blindness held by our society, would she be in
a position to help those with whom she works to deal with their fears and
doubts when evidently having some strong fears and doubts of her own?

Following is part of a letter that I wrote to Richard Strong, SSB's
director, concerning this matter.

***

Part of the purpose of the counselor training is to give the trainees an
understanding of the way that the adjustment-to-blindness training is
accomplished.  The training is also a certification process and can serve to
show when an individual may simply not be a good fit for a counseling
position at State Services for the Blind.  On many occasions, you have
indicated to us your belief in the importance of staff
adjustment-to-blindness training.  If this training is to have any meaning,
then those who cannot complete it should not work as rehabilitation
counselors for the blind.

This situation raises the following larger questions:

1. What is being done at SSB to ensure that potential counselors fully
understand the training requirements they must meet in order to practice as
a rehabilitation counselor for the blind in Minnesota?  Are they made aware
that completion of sleep shades training is an expectation - not an option?

2. Do the supervisory staff in charge of preparing the new employees for the
training have the background themselves to set the stage adequately and
encourage the employees in meeting the challenges of training?

3.  What consequences are in place for counselors who do not succeed in the
training?

We look forward to hearing from you and to seeing this matter resolved, to
ensure that the law is followed and that the customers of SSB are served by
knowledgeable individuals who believe in the capabilities of blind people
and hold high expectations for their future.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Dunnam, President

***

Here is Mr. Strong's response:

***

Dear Ms. Dunnam:

Thank you for your letter of February 17, 2011.  The issues raised in your
letter, centering on concerns with the intensive training under sleep shades
requirement and the need for staff, including rehabilitation counselors, to
successfully complete the training are of the highest importance to SSB.
SSB needs to continue its work to ensure staff have the needed knowledge,
skills and experiences for their positions and for the important roles they
play in the lives of blind Minnesotans they serve.

On Friday, February 18, we discussed additional steps that SSB might take to
ensure the intent of current SSB policy and state law are realized.  I have
reviewed those steps with key SSB leadership staff and those improvements
are now in place.

I have modified SSB's selection process for new hires that fall under the
training requirement.  The process for such hires now includes an interview
question on and explanation of the importance of intensive training under
sleep shades.  SSB needs to make sure prospective employees have a firm
understanding of SSB's standards for its staff and the important role
adjustment-to-blindness training plays in the lives of our customers.  I
believe this change is a step in the right direction and will incorporate
additional improvements in our selection process as warranted.

In addition, before starting training each new hire will now meet with the
SSB director and their supervisor.  They will discuss the importance of
alternative skills of blindness, the essential place adjustment-to-blindness
training has in gaining those skills and the accompanying positive attitude,
and the purposes of and reasoning behind intensive sleep shade training for
SSB staff.  New staff need to understand the importance of the training to
their career with SSB, the significant investment of work, energy and time
called for by the training, and the positive consequences of successful
completion, a requirement for being an SSB rehabilitation counselor.

I want to make sure SSB does all it can to ensure staff successfully
complete the training called for by policy and state statute.

I very much appreciate your letter and your discussion of means for SSB to
improve its training program.  I request and will welcome your future
suggestions of how we can do better.

Sincerely,

Richard Strong Director

***

We sincerely hope the author of the Salon.com story, and the many like her
who are right here in Minnesota, will be able to get more help from their
rehabilitation counselors than they often do from the optometrists or
ophthalmologists.  The new counselors need the expertise to offer her the
real knowledge that indeed blindness need not prevent her from seeing her
daughters grow up, or from working at a good job, or from simply going to a
crowded coffee house.  We appreciate the adjustments in SSB's policies,
which are a positive step.  We will do all we can to see that those who play
such a powerful role in the lives of blind people are qualified to do so.

Andy Virden, a Dedicated Member and Friend

By Joyce Scanlan

Andy Virden, one of our longtime and very active members of the National
Federation of the Blind of Minnesota, was on his way home from a Friday
night fish fry shortly after 8:00 on March 11, when he was struck by a car
and killed instantly.  Details of the accident are still under
investigation.  Andy was 83 years old.

Those of us who have known Andy for more than 40 years are deeply saddened
at the loss of our much-valued colleague and friend.  Andy always traveled
with his long white cane and frequently spoke of the importance of
exercising care as he crossed streets.  He was in familiar territory within
one-half block of his home.  He had walked the two-block route from the
American Legion Hall fish fry numerous times.

Andy Virden has been a member of the Federation since 1951 and was
instrumental in organizing the Central Minnesota chapter in 1971.  Since
that time, he served as chapter president for most of the time; however,
throughout these years, he was always looking for others to take the office,
and many young students from surrounding colleges and others who
demonstrated interest received his encouragement and support in serving as
president or in other leadership roles.  While others served as chapter
president from time to time, Andy was always the voice of the Federation
throughout the St. Cloud/Waite Park/Central Minnesota area.  He was active
in numerous organizations and his voice was heard over local radio stations
advocating for the rights of blind people of all ages and interests.

Our Central Minnesota chapter has always been a vibrant group with its
spaghetti dinners and other fundraisers, annual picnics every August, and
energetic participation in every Day at the Capital during legislative
sessions.  Someone else may have occasionally served as president and
leader, but the spokesman and contact person was definitely Andy Virden.

The National Federation of the Blind was Andy's primary interest in life.
He was active in local politics and an active member of the Democratic
Farmer Labor party.  Because of his activities, all elected politicians knew
Andy and the National Federation of the Blind.  But Andy wasn't at all
partisan; he could support elected officials of other parties as well.  He
made friends with officials of any party, and rest assured, all of them were
well informed about the Federation and all issues of the day.  With very few
exceptions, all legislators of the St. Cloud area could be counted upon to
have knowledge of Federation concerns; and most of them were in support of
our interests.

Of course, Andy preferred that we hold all state Federation conventions in
St. Cloud and spoke out persuasively of the advantages of his hometown.  He
clearly demonstrated his pride in his local area as he welcomed convention
attendees to St. Cloud.  His participation at convention sessions was always
energetic and determined; it might appear as though he was bypassing the
chair's wish for order and making himself and his issues take precedence
over the planned agenda.  This was definitely not the case.  His issues were
always timely and relevant, just slightly out of order or ahead of the
agenda.  They were definitely matters Andy felt strongly about.  There were
just so many matters Andy placed at the top of his priority list, and he
could be persistent.

Andy could tell jokes and sometimes unwittingly turn a crowd or an
individual from a serious discussion into uproarious laughter.  He and I
were scheduled to do an interview at a local radio station one day.  Andy,
of course, worked at the downtown Post Office.  He said to the hostess, "Oh,
I almost called you this morning; we had an emergency at the post office."
The interviewer became excited and said, "Oh, you should have called me."
Then Andy said, "There was a big fight, and the stamps took quite a
licking."  Another such event occurred several years ago when we were
holding a seminar in our state office in the Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce
Building.  A very serious discussion was underway when Andy suddenly sneezed
and his dentures flew across the room.  No one remembers the topic under
discussion; everyone remembers Andy's sneeze and its outcome.  Humor was a
trademark with Andy.

Yes, Andy had quite a sense of humor; however when it came to advocacy for
blind people, he was the guy you wanted on your side.  As a committed
Federationist, Andy took seriously the responsibility of working to change
public attitudes toward blindness.  He fought hard to emphasize the
capabilities of blind people and to improve opportunities for employment and
equal participation in the community for blind Americans.  He proudly lived
his Federationism and never hesitated to educate everyone he met.  He used a
wide variety of techniques in addition to humor, his own experience,
threats, anecdotes, whatever it took to make his point.  Andy was a true
educator, and he earned both love and respect for his work.

Life in the St. Cloud community was a significant part of Andy Virden's
life.  He was a 1946 graduate of St. Cloud Technical High School and a 1950
graduate of St. Cloud State University.  Andy was employed in sales for four
years prior to owning and operating Virden's Vending and Concession
headquartered in the downtown St. Cloud Post Office lobby and was operated
under the State of Minnesota Business Enterprises Program for the Blind.
Here he thoroughly enjoyed his daily contact with the public, selling his
products and persuading the local citizenry.  He retired on January 10,
1994.

Andy was deeply involved in the community, and was a living example of our
NFB goal of integrating into society on a basis of equality.  Here are his
other activities:

.        Fraternal Order of Eagles,

.        Waite Park Booster Club, serving as president,

.        Waite Park Spass Tag Committee, serving as president and various
other offices, and Grand Marshall in 1981,

.        DFL politics, receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Paul
and Sheila Wellstone Dinner in St. Cloud in 2009,

.        Wings, Wheels and Water Festival, serving as Grand Marshall in
1986,

.        Knights of Columbus, serving in various offices,

.        Kappa Delta Phi at St. Cloud State University,

.        St. Joseph's Catholic Church, serving in the Nocturnal Adoration
Society and the Choir,

.        Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus,

.        Retired and Senior Volunteer Program, serving on the board for six
years,

.        Whitney Senior Center, enjoying participation in many of its
educational programs.

Life for blind people in Central Minnesota and throughout the country is
certainly better for Andy's involvement in his community.

Over the past 40 years, I've probably had more telephone conversations with
Andy than with any other Federationist.  "How are you, Andy?"  I'd say.
"Well, we have problems," he'd reply.  Then he'd list off all the
"problems."  Someone wasn't returning his calls.  He was worried about the
construction in downtown St. Cloud; he was worried about walking on downtown
streets with the loud machines.  "And it looks as though they're going to
change the traffic patterns on the main streets, and blind people will have
problems crossing the streets," and on and on.  After we had talked for
several minutes, and Andy had asked me about everything in the Metro area -
had I talked with so-and-so?  What was going on in Minneapolis?  Then I'd
make some meager attempt to resolve his problems, he'd seem to have moved
on, and the problems no longer were relevant.  If I was not home and had to
call him back later, he was usually not home or his line was busy, because
he was on NFB-NEWSLINER.  Andy's problems could be rather frustrating.  But
I came to realize that he wanted to visit with someone and the problems gave
him reason to call.  He was so committed to doing what was right for blind
people that I came to appreciate our discussions and admire his perseverance
in dealing with the public and with the problems blind people faced.  Andy
was busy dealing with problems, and it was a pleasure to work with him.  He
had a big, big heart, and it always focused on the appropriate burning
issues.

Federation philosophy was more than just talk for Andy.  In addition to
operating his vending business for more than forty years, he cared for his
aging parents keeping house and managing the family home until both parents
had passed away.  He then sold the house in which he had grown up and moved
to an apartment where he lived independently to the day of his death.  He
did his own cooking and cleaning and kept the apartment managers from
custodializing him and trying to tell him how to run his life.  Andy would
have it no other way.  His participation in community activities continued
at his usual pace.  All of us declare that blind people are capable of
running their own lives; Andy made it all a proven fact.

Andy loved attending national conventions.  He was an active member of the
Blind Merchants division and served for several years on the Resolutions
Committee.  He loved seeing his Federation family each year; wherever you
might go throughout convention sessions, in the restaurants, at the
Merchants' meetings, anywhere at all, you could hear Andy Virden voicing his
opinions on something important to him, greeting members, telling a joke, or
laughing at someone else's joke.  National Conventions were very special to
Andy.

In more recent times, as he began arranging to travel to the convention, he
would say, "This will probably be my last convention."  Each year as he
aged, travel became a greater challenge for him; yet he continued to make
the journey.  Then he would go to the next convention and have a wonderful
time.  As he prepared to go the following year, he'd declare again, "Well,
this will probably be my last National Convention."  I actually heard him
say it this year as he began arranging to fly to Florida.  His Federation
spirit again told him to look ahead.

Large numbers of Andy's friends, including many members of the National
Federation of the Blind of Minnesota, attended both his Wake and Funeral
Mass last week.  Six priests attended.  The music led by the choir was
outstanding.  It was clear that everyone knew Andy well.  While we know that
Andy had selected the music and speakers for his service, he would have
loved it.  The National Federation of the Blind was specifically mentioned
many times, always absolutely correctly - always with the appropriate "of."
Andy had obviously done his usual fine job of educating.  The entire service
was a great tribute to Andy.  Although this was a Friday in Lent and fish
should have been the only choice of the day, the priest announced that this
was a special day and therefore a dispensation had been granted and the
customary ham would be served at the dinner following the mass.

Andy was born in Waite Park on November 19, 1927, lived his entire life in
Waite Park, and was buried in Waite Park.  His influence, however, extended
far beyond his hometown.  His legacy can be bourn out by comments many
friends made following his death.  Here are just a few:

.        Greg James,Neighbor:  I've lived in the same neighborhood as Andy
for over 20 years.  Over the years, I had the opportunity to chat with Andy
at the store, or on one of Andy's walks through the neighborhood.  I knew
Andy as a warm and friendly man.  I always enjoyed the chats we shared.
Andy was a fixture in the neighborhood and seeing Andy's familiar face on
one of his walks was common.  Although I didn't know Andy as well as many
others, I feel my life is richer for having known him at all.  The
neighborhood definitely won't be the same without Andy.

.        Larry Haws, Friend (and former legislator):  Larry Haws is sending
this message from St. Ben's ShortStay where he is recovering from brain
surgery in January.  One of Andy's most significant contributions to the
people he served was his attitude, and to put a person's "abilities" first.
Andy taught many people about this, but Larry learned this many times from
Andy's example of courage and determination.  One day when Larry was working
at the State Capital, Andy walked into his office alone, white cane in hand.
Larry was surprised and amazed that Andy had navigated his way to his office
in the capital building.  Andy said that it wasn't really that hard and that
he only had to yell out a couple of times, "Where's Haws at?"  Andy was a
brilliant man.  Larry said that Andy called him once about a problem he had
and what experts Larry knew who could solve that problem for him.  Andy
asked if Larry would call those experts and get the problem solved.  Larry
asked for an hour and gave the designated "experts" a call and there was a
solution found.  The St. Cloud/Waite Park community has lost a wonderful
human being in Andy Virden.  He was a true example of looking at what you
can do in life and then pursuing it.  Happy Heaven, Andy!  I'm sure that
you're finding your way around with Heavenly vision!

.        Mary Dombovy Pull,Neighbor:  As a young girl and into my adult
life, Andy always knew my name and spoke to me.  He was a true friend and
gentleman.  Heaven will be blessed to have Andy among the other saints.

.        Michael Petschen, just a person Andy touched just by talking to him
over the years:  What an inspiration Andy was.  He was the most courageous
person I knew.  St. Cloud has lost an icon.  But heaven has gained a saint.

.        Dave, Friend:  We miss your presence at the post office; you were
such a staple fixture in the community, and always a pleasure to chat with.

We all have countless fond memories of times spent with Andy.  Everyone will
miss Andy.  He is irreplaceable.  To say, "Rest in peace," is pointless,
because Andy will always be educating, advocating, changing attitudes,
promoting progress, making new friends, and continuing in Heaven among the
Saints the work he has always done when he was with us.  And, Andy, keep on
singing!

Is There a Place for Visually Impaired Individuals in NFB?

By Cathy Jackson, President, National Federation of the Blind of Kentucky

(Editor's Note:  The following article is reprinted from the Winter 2010
issue of the Kentucky Cardinal, a publication of the NFB of Kentucky.  As
well as Kentucky state president, Cathy is a member of the national board of
directors.)

I was a participant on a panel at a State Presidents seminar held at our
national headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland where the topic of visual
impairment was discussed.  We also touched on how to convince partially
blind individuals that they can benefit greatly by being a part of the
National Federation of the Blind (NFB), the nation's largest organization of
the blind speaking for the blind.  Of course, just as important is the fact
that they in turn have much to offer the NFB.  For many it is automatically
assumed that we are an organization of the blind because our name says it
all, the National Federation of the Blind, not the National Federation of
the Blind and Visually Impaired.

For purposes of this article, I am going to use the terms visually impaired,
partially sighted and partially blind or similar phrases that may come to
mind.  I am not afraid to use the word blind or admit that I am a blind
person, but I need to make distinctions and clarifications.

The public in general only recognizes total blindness or perfect vision,
anything in between is a mystery.  Trust me; it's also a mystery to those of
us with partial vision.  How can I see a dime on the floor from across the
room and fall over a chair getting to it?

There have been countless times when, during a conversation, I have said
something like, "As a blind person I..."  There is an immediate gasp.
"You're not blind; you can see, can't you?"  Then they start waving their
hands in my face.  I feel compelled to launch into an explanation.  "Yes I
have some usable vision but my visual acuity is 20/200, which means that I
meet the legal and medical definition of blindness."  The discussion doesn't
usually end there.  They start pointing to objects asking if I can see them.
When my daughter, Nickie, was little and her friends asked how well her dad
and I could see, she would simply say, "My dad is almost blind, my mom is
half blind and I am a little bit blind."

The honest to goodness truth is that all too often visually impaired people
don't know exactly where they fit in.  On one hand, we the NFB say, "Admit
you are blind."  But on the other hand, there are those who have somewhat of
a condescending attitude that says, "But you can really see."

At a national convention, I overheard a conversation between two people and
one of them said, "NFB doesn't ever discuss the issues faced by those of us
with low vision, do they?"  I stopped and thought, "You know, we really
don't.  I have talked with members in the Kentucky affiliate who have
expressed this exact same sentiment to me."

If you stop and think about it, visually impaired individuals face the same
problems as totally blind people.  Actually, our situation may be even more
precarious.  The public in general is convinced that totally blind people
can't do anything; however, they aren't exactly sure just what to expect
from those of us with partial vision.  If we are half-blind, are we expected
to do only half as much?

We walk into the job interview and it is apparent that we have some vision,
but we called ahead to have the test put in an accessible format - large
print, audio, and even braille.  We too have to convince the potential
employer that we can do the job and with the proper accommodations we are
every bit as competent as our sighted peers.  We have to make accommodations
in the classroom.  We have the same issues with public transportation.  More
often than not, we are unable to read the destination sign in the window of
the bus and have to ask, "What bus is this?"

Now put a cane in the hand of someone like me.  Let me tell you that really
adds a layer of confusion.  I am treated quite differently when I am
carrying my cane.  I was traveling to Oregon a few years ago to serve as the
national representative to their state convention.  As I recall I had to
change airplanes twice before I arrived in Oregon.  I was grabbed by the
shoulders and turned around and the end of my cane was lifted off the
ground.  I protested and took the opportunity to turn the situation into a
teachable moment.  During one of the layovers, I decided to head to the
ladies' room to freshen up a bit.  I stood my long white cane next to me and
proceeded to comb my hair and reapply my lipstick.  In the mirror I could
see a lady standing behind me watching with curiosity, unaware that I was
watching her.  All sorts of thoughts were running through my head.  Did she
think I was faking my blindness?  Was she wondering if I could actually
apply lipstick?  Was she waiting for me to make a mess of it all?  There
were a couple of other things I was considering.  Maybe I'll just apply the
lipstick on and around my lips so as not to disappoint her if she doubted my
skill to put on makeup.  No, I decided then I would have to wash my face.
Then a second brainstorm popped into my head.  I think I'll turn around and
ask her if I look OK.  No, there would be nothing gained by embarrassing
her.  Instead, I chose a more polite approach.  When I turned around, I
simply said hello.  She made a beeline to the nearest stall.

On this same trip coming home from Oregon I was pretty tired and not in the
mood to be hassled.  An attendant in the O'Hare airport decided that I
needed a cart to transport me to my gate.  I assured her I was fine and if
she would just give me directions I could travel alone.  Besides, I had been
sitting for several hours and needed to stretch my legs, to which she
replied, "Not on my watch."  I was told to stay put.  Lucky for me O'Hare is
quite busy.  When she turned her head, I collapsed my cane and bolted.
Should I have folded my cane and run?  Probably not.  Looking back that was
the coward's way out.  I should have stood my ground, but as I said, I was
tired and not very rational.  I was counting on the fact that if I put my
cane away I would be just another passenger in the airport and it worked.  I
hope by now they have called off the search.

If I weren't already a member of NFB, how would you convince me or any other
partially sighted individual that joining NFB would be a great idea?  What
would you say to me when I tell you I have enough vision to "fake it"?  How
would you persuade me that learning to do things using non-visual techniques
might actually make my life easier?  How would you encourage me to open up
and share my experiences, both good and bad?  And probably the biggest
challenge to me: what would you say and do to make me feel comfortable in my
own skin?  Just telling someone it's OK to be blind isn't always enough.

Most of you reading this article know that I am self-sufficient and
strong-willed.  How did this happen?  It was no accident.  I was fortunate
enough to have parents who made it clear from the get-go that I was no
different from my siblings apart from the fact that I couldn't see as well.
I was expected to do well in school and to do chores around the house.  They
also made accommodations that I was totally oblivious to, but grew to
realize their importance.  I had large print storybooks and coloring books
and white paper plates dotted the baseball field so I could see the bases.
They instilled in me a sense of confidence and well-being.

Looking back over my life there were very few times when I was made to feel
embarrassed or ashamed of being visually impaired, or made to believe that I
was less of a person.  I understand this isn't always the case.  Some
partially blind people haven't been so lucky.  For these individuals NFB
could be a pivotal point in their lives.  If we can convince them to attend
a chapter or division meeting and especially a state or national convention,
we can begin the mentoring process and show through our actions that the NFB
philosophy does apply just as precisely to partially sighted people.
Visually impaired individuals will learn that they no longer have to "fake
it" but "face it."  We can teach them to advocate for themselves.  They will
learn the use of alternative techniques that can reduce a visual impairment
to a nuisance.  Pretty soon they won't care if they are referred to as blind
and the word blind will become just a part of their vocabulary.  It's all
about changing attitudes.  You see, no pun intended, there truly are more
similarities than differences between partially sighted and totally blind
people.  We all want to be treated with respect.  We all want to be
independent and productive citizens.  We need to continue setting the
success bar higher for ourselves than others do.

If you have ever doubted your place in the National Federation of the Blind,
let me assure you that you are welcome and that your membership is valued.
I attended my first national convention in New Orleans in 1977.  Every
national board member I met or saw walking around the convention was totally
blind, or perhaps it was merely the fact that they were using their
blindness skills to perfection and I assumed they were totally blind.
Although at that time I thought one had to be blind to be a member of the
Board of Directors, I am living proof that this is not the case.  I have
never doubted for a minute my membership in the Federation or the
contributions I have made.  I also value the lessons and opportunities that
the NFB has afforded me.  So for those of you who are partially blind
members of the organization I want you to realize your worth; and to all of
us, let's share with other partials who may be feeling left out.

Serving As a Blind Federal Juror

By Trudy Barrett

In 1982 when I lived in Idaho, I was picked for federal jury duty.  I was
picked like everyone else, at random through the telephone, census, and
voting registration.  My husband and I were going through the mail one night
after dinner as we always did at that time.  We ran across a letter and form
saying I was called for federal jury duty.  I felt honored and surprised at
the same time.  We filled out the form and returned it.

We had a friend in our church that happened to be a law clerk for a federal
judge at that time.  I called him and told him I was selected for jury duty.
He told me, "Congratulations!"  He told me if I needed anything read before
or during a case he would be glad to be my reader!  I called the federal
court office the next day, and explained that I was blind and a friend of
mine worked for the judge and asked it he could read me any documents that I
would have to have read before the case I would be serving on.  The lady at
the other end of the phone said, "Oh, no, we didn't know you were blind.  We
will have to have your name and address taken out of the pool.  We can't
have a blind person serving on a federal jury court case."

After hanging up the phone, I called Norman Gardner who was the state
president of the National Federation of the Blind in Idaho at that time.

A few days later, I received a letter in the mail saying I was exempt from
jury duty because of blindness.  I called Norm and showed him the letter.
He made a few phone calls and talked to a few people, and within a few
weeks, I received a letter and form to fill out.  The form consisted of my
name, address, telephone number, social security number, earnings,
employer's name, and availability on a minute's notice.  It stated that I
would be on call for six months.  I was pleased to fill out all the
paperwork that was required.  Within about a week, I got a letter in the
mail accepting me for jury duty.

I felt so proud!  I felt I was serving my country and making it a little
easier for my blind brothers and sisters by opening the door a little wider
for opportunity.

I called Norm Gardner as soon as I received the letter.  He said,
"Congratulations!  Now when you show up to be selected, don't lose your
temper, and don't say something you will be sorry for later!  Don't let us
down.  We are counting on you!  Good luck!"

The first case I was selected for dealt with the State School and Hospital
for the Severely and Profoundly Retarded.  I was not selected for this case
because I worked in this institution as an employee for a few months, and my
twin sister was a resident there for a short time.  The next time I showed
up, there were more than enough jurors.  The third time, I was picked for a
case.  The case was about immigration, with a man accused of importing
illegal immigrants from Mexico to Idaho to be farm workers.  He was
importing them in a station wagon with no seats and with all passengers
piled on top of each other.  We declared him guilty.

Each juror was cross-examined by the lawyers, and I was asked how I would be
able to know what was going on in the courtroom without being able to see.
I told the lawyer calmly and firmly that I could tell what was going on in
the courtroom by what the witnesses said.  We were to make up our minds on
what we heard in the courtroom.  So it didn't matter if I could see or not.

During the trial, I got so involved in the case I kept making a humming
sound.  The judge told me several times to be quiet.  He told me that he
worked hard to get me on this case and to serve for jury duty!  Now if I
didn't be quiet, he would have to dismiss me!  He scared me and I never made
another sound.

The judge thanked me for my service at the end of my six months, and I have
not had an opportunity to serve again.

It felt good knowing I was making a difference by trying to change what it
means to be blind.

Remembering the Convention In 2010

By Judy Sanders, Secretary

"CELEBRATING 90 YEARS: LOOKING BACK, LOOKING FORWARD" was the theme for a
very special 90th annual convention at the Best Western Kelly Inn in St.
Cloud on November 5-7, 2010.

Friday Afternoon

For the first time, convention participants had the opportunity to
preregister for the convention.  This speeded up the process of getting
agendas, banquet and lunch tickets (the entire package was $50.00) and
enabled everyone to join in the many activities that included:

Exhibits/Sales:  The Low Vision Store demonstrated the new Pearl camera used
with Open Book Version 9 and the Topaz and Ruby hand-held magnifier from
Freedom Scientific.  There were demonstrations of braille displays and sales
staff was available to answer questions about products.

Louis Braille Bicentennial silver dollars were available for sale.  Those
who have purchased coins are supporting the campaign to increase braille
literacy.

Meeting:  The National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota Seniors Division
held its annual meeting.  They decided to sell cell phone holders as a
fundraiser.  Their officers are president, Joyce Scanlan; vice president,
Harry Krueger; and secretary/treasurer, RoseAnn Faber.

Discussion:  NFB 101 provided answers to the following questions: How does
the organization work?  How do I find out the organization's positions?
What resources does it offer?  How can I help?  This was an opportunity for
many of our new members to become more knowledgeable about the NFB.  Our
national representative, Mark Riccobono and our president, Jennifer Dunnam,
conducted the discussion.

Committee:  Our resolutions committee, chaired by Steve Decker, met to
introduce the resolutions that are the foundation of Federation policy.
Everyone had a chance to air their views and get an advance look at proposed
resolutions that would be introduced to the convention.

Meeting:  The National Association to Promote the Use of Braille (NAPUB) met
to explore ways of increasing braille literacy and had its usual fun with
braille games.  Elections produced the following results: president, Melody
Wartenbee; vice president, Amy Baron; secretary, Trudy Barrett; and
treasurer, RoseAnn Faber.

Friday Evening

Meeting:  The Minnesota Association of Blind Students (MABS) held the last
meeting of the day.  Their energy was evident throughout the convention with
the selling of 50/50 raffle tickets.  Their new officers are: president,
Jordan Richardson; vice president, Alvin Jask; secretary, Anne Naber; and
treasurer, Jean Rauschenbach.

The day ended with generous hospitality from our Central Minnesota chapter.
Seeing old friends and meeting new ones made for an interesting time.  The
highlight of the evening was a fundraiser sponsored by MABS.  Those wishing
to show off their talent paid an entrant's fee and shared their finest
moments.

Saturday Morning

After a continental breakfast, President Jennifer Dunnam called the
convention to order and introduced Reverend Ron Mahnke for an opening
invocation.  Andy Virden, president of our Central Minnesota chapter gave us
some welcoming remarks and some history about the downtown area where we
were located.

Outside the room, students were urged to meet David Reeves from the U.S.
Department of Education, who had information regarding financial aid.  Dick
Davis was available throughout the convention to sell the Louis Braille
Commemorative coins.

To celebrate our 90th convention throughout the day, Jeopardy-style
questions tested our knowledge of our history.

Jeopardy answer:  The year the NFB of Minnesota was founded.

Question from Tim Aune: What was 1920?

Charlotte Czarnecki explained how our annual bake auction would work.  She
and Kathy McGillivray coordinated a group of auctioneers.  Bids were high
making the auction a huge success.  Convention participants donated all
items.

Our past year was an active one as could be seen in the reports from
President Jennifer Dunnam and our national representative Mark Riccobono.
Jennifer reported that we played an active role in choosing the new director
for State Services for the Blind (SSB) and have made clear that we will be
in constant contact with them about how they can deliver the best services
possible for all blind Minnesotans.  At last year's convention, we passed a
resolution suggesting that the Communication Center at SSB start producing
electronic texts.  SSB is investigating how to do that.  Due to Federation
inquiries and another resolution about the low successful closure rate for
employment of SSB customers, we are now actively involved in a task force
that is trying to determine how to raise the rate.  We were active
participants in helping to raise standards for accessible data given out by
state government.  We were also successful in enhancing the training for
counselors at SSB so that they are now required to have six weeks of
training.  It is now in state law.  We were the only blindness organization
to call legislators' attention to a mistake they had made in figuring SSB's
budget for the coming year.  We participated in listening sessions held by
the Minnesota Employment Policy Initiative.  This project aims to increase
employment for people with disabilities in Minnesota.  They will be
producing policy briefs that will be available to employers or anyone else
who might be interested in them.  We continue to provide feedback to them on
the policy brief about blindness.  We continue to work with the Secretary of
State's office on doing outreach to voters with disabilities and promoting
nonvisual access at the polls.  We continue to work to bring youth into our
movement through Teen Night and Saturday School for younger children.  We
conducted an event in partnership with the Minnesota Department of
Education, State Services for the Blind and Blindness: Learning In New
Dimensions (BLIND), Incorporated called Transition to Independence.  We made
two presentations to the Statewide Vision Network made up of the teachers of
blind children.  After many years of work, we finally have a sign at our
headquarters building that identifies us to the world.  We continue sending
our message through Twitter and Facebook.  We have been holding conference
calls for members at large.  We had 83 people attend our national
convention.  We hope that number will increase in Orlando.  Jennifer
expressed appreciation for the chance to work with such dedicated and
hardworking members.  We will continue to work on all these and other issues
in the coming years.  For Jennifer's complete presentation, see the Winter
2011 issue of this publication.

Jeopardy answer:  This Minnesota resolution called upon all teachers in the
state to teach braille.

Question: What is 26-02?  It was in 1926 and we wanted Grade 2 to be taught
to blind children.  (No one got it right.)

Mark Riccobono, executive director of the NFB Jernigan Institute, gave our
national report.  He began by talking about our current concerns in
Congress.  First, there is the Technology Bill of Rights.  Much technology
today, both in the home and in the workplace, is no longer usable
nonvisually.  He also told us that we are seeking a standard of sound
emission for quiet cars for the safety of all pedestrians.  (Note: Since our
convention, Congress passed and the president signed the Pedestrian Safety
Act.)  Our next Washington Seminar occurs on January 31-February 3, 2011.
Before the Washington Seminar, many members will attend the first "Blind
Driver Challenge" which will allow a blind person to drive a car.  It will
take place on the Daytona speedway and we want a big audience to witness
this momentous event.  No longer will people be able to say that we can't
accomplish anything.  We need never limit ourselves again.  Through our
efforts there is now a commission (Riccobono is the NFB representative) to
find ways to insure access to education materials at the higher education
level.  This does not just mean books; there are kiosks, Websites, and class
materials that are not accessible.  We want publishers to provide their
material in an accessible format when they are first available to the
public.  We are also working with builders of e-book readers.  Through a
settlement with eBay, the NFB is creating opportunities for blind people to
set up their own businesses on eBay.

Our newest leadership program is the "Teachers of Tomorrow."  We are looking
for individuals who want to teach blind children and we will train them in
positive attitudes toward blindness so they can incorporate those attitudes
in the classroom.  We were reminded of the many free programs sponsored by
the NFB such as free white canes and NFB-NEWSLINER.  The entire collection
of the Braille Monitor has been digitized.  We are looking for interviews to
create our history and file it at the Jernigan Institute.  On the education
front, we have our science academies and we have the BEL program (Braille
Enrichment Literacy).  We are looking for three affiliates in addition to
the nine who did it last summer to participate in this program.  We are also
getting ready for the third annual Youth Slam.  Riccobono ended his remarks
by reminding us that in order to keep these programs going we have to fund
them.  We should all register for the Race for Independence.  Our work
improves our lives; we make a real difference.  One way to donate is through
the "Text To Give" program.  Text the word blind to 85944 and donate $10.
When we make speeches, we should ask our audience to use their cell phones
and text.

Kristin Oien, the new Blind/Visually Impaired Specialist for the Minnesota
Department of Education, presented "Promoting Literacy and Quality Education
for Blind Students in Minnesota".  Ms. Oien has extensive experience in
teaching blind children orientation and mobility and other subjects such as
braille.  Most recently, she worked as a member of a diagnostic team for
blind, deaf/blind and deaf student in Honolulu.  The policy for Special
Education in Minnesota is to provide leadership to ensure a high quality
education for all Minnesota's children and youth with disabilities.  There
are 427 blind and visually impaired students in Minnesota.  For Ms. Oien's
complete presentation, see the Winter 2011 issue of this publication.

Our agenda had an unexpected guest, Sean Whalen, past president of the NFB's
national student division.  The students have a new and improved Website,
listserv, and their newsletter The Student Slate is better than ever.
Students are traveling throughout the country to reach out to students.
Students are participating in the Braille Readers are Leaders contest and
sponsoring a fundraiser where they are asking for Pennies for Pages to
reward their reading.

"New Frontiers" gave us the opportunity to meet four staff members who are
either new or who have changed their position at BLIND, Incorporated,
(Blindness: Learning In New Dimensions).  Shawn Mayo, executive director,
talked about always wanting to upgrade teaching practices while sticking to
the tried and true methods of success.  They now have a Communications class
that combines the teaching of computers and braille taught by Emily Wharton
and Ryan Strunk.  Emily pointed out that technology helps make braille more
available than ever; for instance, by using speech output on a notetaker
with a braille display, the student gets immediate feedback about their
accuracy.  Ryan Strunk told of a student who used his ability to scan, word
process and braille to produce a restaurant menu.  His success was lauded on
Twitter; other businesses picked up the message and spread it even further.
BLIND has developed a new curriculum for braille based on memorizing the
braille code and then learning to recognize the position of the dots.

George Wurtzel, the new industrial arts instructor, has a long career in the
furniture-construction field that is unusual for a blind person.  He is now
showing blind people that their dreams can become reality.  Whether it is
fixing windows, sawing down trees or fixing a dishwasher, they do it all!

Sharon Monthei is a certified English Language Learner (ELL) instructor and
developed a program specifically for blind students.  Most ELL classes rely
on pictures; Sharon incorporates teaching braille and English at the same
time.  She has taught 17 students from seven different countries.

Meet the Blind Month is now a tradition in Minnesota and throughout the
country.  Sheila Koenig reported that the Metro Chapter participated in
Macy's Department Store's Shop For A Cause and members leafleted on Nicollet
Mall and in the Uptown area of Minneapolis.  Our state affiliate has a
Facebook page where we posted biographies of blind individuals.  We staffed
a table at the Education Minnesota conference.

One of the ways that members support our national movement is through the
PAC (Preauthorized Check) plan.  It allows members to have a predetermined
amount of money withdrawn from their checking account and donated to the
NFB.  Al Spooner reminded all of us why we should participate.  Several
Federationists increased already existing plans or started new plans.

During lunch, we met the staff and students from Blindness: Learning In New
Dimensions (BLIND), Incorporated.  This is the only consumer-directed
blindness training center in the state and it is fitting that they celebrate
their success with the National Federation of the Blind.

Saturday Afternoon

Our afternoon session began with another Jeopardy question.

Jeopardy answer:  On December 28, 1920, this organization adopted a policy
in support of this travel device.

Question:  What are whistles?  This was a preliminary solution to let the
public know that a blind person needed assistance in crossing the street.
It preceded the wide use of the white cane. (No one got it right)

The first speaker for our afternoon session was the new director for the
Minnesota State Academy for the Blind in Faribault, John Davis.  He is
starting his 12th year at the Academy; he taught science and was athletic
director.  Davis talked about various construction projects and staff
changes.  We urged Mr. Davis to become familiar and participate in the many
programs for youth sponsored by the NFB.

Jeopardy Answer: Three Minnesotans held for an hour in Six Flags over
Georgia for not giving up their canes in 2004.

Question from Sheila Koenig:  Who are Zach Ellingson, Mike Sahyun and
Brandon Ball?

Jon Benson, director of SSB's Administrative Unit, gave our State Services
for the Blind (SSB) Update.  He spoke on behalf of Richard Strong, SSB's
Director.  After thanking the NFB for its continued support, he warned us
that SSB and all state agencies are in for serious budget problems.  There
could be a $6 billion budget shortfall in the coming biennium.  Benson
provided updates from the following units at SSB: WorkForce Development Unit
that serves transition-age customers and those seeking employment, Assistive
and Adaptive Technology Unit that advises customers about the best
accessible technology that will meet their needs, Audio Services that
records textbooks and other material for customers, Radio Talking Book that
broadcasts books, newspapers and magazines, Braille that produces textbooks
and other material in braille, and Senior Services Unit that provides
services and information to those wanting independent living services but
not necessarily employment.  For specific details about SSB's activities,
see Jon Benson's complete remarks in the Winter 2011 issue of this
publication.

Jeopardy answer:  An early nickname for this organization.

Question from Pat Barrett:  What is the MOB (Minnesota Organization of the
Blind, the name of the organization from 1920 to 1973)?

Catherine Durivage, Director of the Minnesota Braille and Talking Book
Library, gave her usual informative report filled with practical advice
about ways we can improve our own library service.  In past reports, we
heard about staffing difficulties; while the library is not yet fully
staffed, staff has increased.  She expressed gratitude for all the NFB's
work with the legislature to help bring about the staff improvements.  We
heard a lot about the conversion to digital books and we learned that the
new NLS Digital player is now available to all patrons.  She gave us hints
that we should keep in mind when returning books.  Not only can we borrow
books we can use our computer to download them.  Even with all these new
ways to obtain books, we should keep our cassette players because it will be
a few years before the whole collection is converted to the digital format.
The library wants to make use of listservs, blogs and other forms of high
technology.  See Ms. Durivage's full report in the Winter 2011 issue of this
publication.

"Life-Changing Adventures" was presented by three BLIND, Incorporated
students who once again demonstrated through their words that if we believe
in our own abilities there is little that we can't do.  Hannah Furney came
to us from Ohio but claims Minnesota as her home now.  She told us of a
camping trip taken by staff and students last summer where she and Steve
Decker, a blind instructor, were part of a group that went tubing down a
river.  They became separated from the group and got caught on a tree.  It
was the instructor that figured out what to do showing Hannah that blindness
did not stop them from solving their own problems.  She has also learned
that when a skill seems difficult, patience can be rewarded with success.

James Smith arrived from Kansas and thanked the Federation audience for
making him comfortable with his blindness.  His experiences in Kansas had
been extremely negative and he is grateful to learn that life does not have
to be that way.  Mr. Smith can control his own destiny.

Virginia Walden has been legally blind all her life but lived her life as a
sighted person who couldn't compete.  Ginny had many successes in her life
before she came to Minnesota; she earned a Master's degree in divinity and
she worked on the streets of Chicago with women who needed help.  But she
never felt comfortable with herself and could tell that something was
missing.  Ginny sensed this gap in her life and searched the World Wide Web
for blindness, braille and white canes.  She found the Braille Monitor, the
NFB, and a completely new way of thinking.  Each day she is now challenged
to determine whether she is equal with others who are not blind.  She is now
able to take risks and knows that she will keep evolving.

"Building the Organization, Shaping the Future" was a new experience for
longtime convention goers.  We engaged in group discussions exploring what
it is that draws us to the Federation and how can we build our organization
to strengthen it.  After the discussion, groups reported to the full
audience.  Most of us came to the NFB because we wanted more control over
our lives; we may have encountered discrimination or we may have felt a lack
of independence.  We came for a support system that we will probably always
find valuable.  We can share with other blind people why we are here and
hope to strike a chord that will draw them in.  Several groups mentioned the
importance of combining our special interest groups with chapters and
finding tasks to involve everybody.  We must always be open to new ideas
while remembering the tried and true things that have worked for years.
Notes were taken with specific suggestions so that we can put our ideas into
practice.

The NFB of Minnesota is a member of Community Shares Minnesota, a federation
of organizations that believe in social justice and raise money for their
causes.  Most of the money is raised through workplace giving but the member
organizations are expected to help raise money.  Toward that end, a 50/50
raffle was held with the winner getting half the proceeds, and the rest was
donated to Community Shares Minnesota.

Saturday Evening

The prelude to an exciting banquet was a social hour where, along with
pleasant conversation, people took their last chance at purchasing raffle
tickets for the student division and for Community Shares Minnesota.

Master of Ceremonies Andy Virden enlivened the banquet with his down-home
sense of humor.  After Pat Barrett's invocation and introduction of the head
table, we engaged in a bit of spirited singing of NFB songs.  Ryan Strunk
was the winner of $50.00 in the Metro Chapter essay contest and Muzamil
Yahya won the random drawing for $50.00 from all those who entered the
contest.

Kari Hanson was awarded a $1,500 scholarship to attend the University of
Minnesota at Morris.

The climax of NFB conventions is the foundation of our existence.  Mark
Riccobono gave our banquet address.  He shared his story and all of us found
parts of it with which we could identify.  Maybe it was the isolation of
being left out of childhood activities or self-imposed limitations and those
placed on us by others; maybe it was learning too late the place that
braille should play in our successes; or whether it was finally knowing that
there were people everywhere who can help make the road to independence much
easier, we have all lived some part of his story.  His oratory inspired his
audience to want to give back so that we can share with others how lucky we
are to have the opportunities and successes that we experience.  We are
fortunate to be a part of making history for all blind people.  His closing
remarks brought us full circle, as he told us of the birth of his children -
and the news that his youngest might be blind.  His fears for her did not
involve the physical loss of sight, but had more to do with whether she
would have an educational system that could meet her needs.  Never has the
work of the National Federation of the Blind seemed so important!

All of us left the banquet carrying a gift of a pizza cutter courtesy of the
Central Minnesota chapter.

After a long day, many still found the energy to enjoy further hospitality.
It helped that we gained an extra hour of sleep by turning our clocks back
from Daylight Saving Time.

Sunday Morning

Even with that extra hour, Sunday morning came early and all were present
for our final session.

One of the Federation's major activities is influencing legislation that
improves the lives of blind Minnesotans.  We are effective at this because
of the work of our local chapters in a unified effort throughout the state.
We need only look at our host chapter to see how a little effort establishes
good rapport with local legislators.  We were pleased to hear remarks from
Representative Larry Haws, outgoing member of the legislature from St.
Cloud.  He gave us a primer on how to get to know all the new legislators so
that we can continue our successes.  It was apparent that he considered Andy
Virden his friend and he wanted to serve us well during his tenure.  Among
other things, he helped the Minnesota State Braille and Talking Book Library
obtain additional staff.  Jennifer presented Mr. Haws with a Louis Braille
coin in honor of his appreciation of braille literacy.

Jeopardy answer:  This was the first major purchase of property by this
organization.

Question from Judy Sanders:  What was the Home and Center for the Blind?
The property was purchased in 1924, and a building constructed.  This
building provided housing, meetings, socials, and entertainment programs
from 1929 to 1980.  Joyce Scanlan reminded us that while the home solved
serious housing discrimination problems faced by blind people, this
organization also worked tirelessly at the legislature to eliminate such
discrimination.

Tom Scanlan reported that our treasury has a net income but our fundraising
is down and we cannot predict what will happen with grants, foundations and
individual contributions.

We heard reports from our chapters and divisions that included conference
calls for members at large to keep everyone involved.  Members are
distributing literature, fundraising and spreading the word to potential
recruits.

Jeopardy answer:  The year that the first issue of the Minnesota Bulletin
was published.

Question from Joanne Stark:  1935.

A moment of silence remembered those members and supporters whom we lost
this year.

Election results were as follows: vice president, Steve Jacobson; treasurer,
Tom Scanlan; first board position, Pat Barrett; and second board position,
Joyce Scanlan.  Our current officers and board members who were not up for
election are president, Jennifer Dunnam; secretary, Judy Sanders; board
members, Jan Bailey, Charlene Guggisberg, and Sheila Koenig.

Jeopardy answer:  The year that Joyce Scanlan was first elected president of
this organization.

Question from Judy Sanders:  What is 1973?  We heard a sound clip from the
convention that elected her.

Jeopardy answer:  The largest protest held by blind people in Minnesota.

Question from Judy Sanders:  What is 1980 when we marched to the Minneapolis
Society for the Blind?  We heard another sound clip from the march.

Steve Decker, chair of the resolutions committee, thanked his committee:
Joyce Scanlan, Shawn Mayo, Mike Sahyun, and Jan Bailey.  This year we had a
single resolution expressing our concerns about the upcoming budget of State
Services for the Blind.  The resolution was passed unanimously and follows
this article.

Jeopardy answer:  The year and the location of the latest protest conducted
by the NFB of Minnesota.

Question from Kathy McGillivray and Tom TeBockhorst:  What is 2008 in
Rochester in front of a movie theater showing "Blindness" that portrayed
blindness in a negative way?  We heard another sound clip from television
coverage.

Jeopardy answer:  The first year that Tom Scanlan was elected treasurer.

Question from Joyce Scanlan:  What was 1974?  We got another sound clip.

Several Federationists who serve on advisory councils reported to the
convention.  Judy Sanders serves on the Statewide Independent Living Council
and reported that this Council has been invited to meet at SSB so they can
learn more about what that agency does.  Judy also joined Steve Jacobson on
an advisory committee to the Secretary of State to do outreach to people
with disabilities to increase the number of registered voters.  We had the
opportunity to promote use of the AutoMARK that gives nonvisual access to
the ballot.

The Site Council that advises the Minnesota State Academy for the Blind
wants to narrow its focus to advocating for a mentoring program for the
students.  Carolyn Barnes is the NFB representative on the Council.

Tom Scanlan serves as the NFB representative on the State Rehabilitation
Council Blind that works with SSB.  Also serving on that Council at the time
of the convention were Steve Jacobson, Ken Trebelhorn, Jan Bailey and Judy
Sanders as its chair.  The Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA), as
a part of its oversight responsibilities, brought a monitoring team to
Minnesota and met with several Federationists to get our views about service
delivery to consumers.  One of their points for improvement had to do with
the agency being buried too deeply in its parent department, the Department
of Employment and Economic Development (DEED.)  The council is also working
on trying to find ways to increase the successful employment rate of SSB
customers.  Federationists are urged to attend council meetings and
participate on council committees.

Jeopardy answer:  1951.

Question from Jan Bailey:  When did Andy Virden join the NFB?

Jeopardy answer:  We have a current Minnesotan who inspired one of our NFB
speeches.

Question from Shawn Mayo:  Who is Emily Zitek?  Emily wrote one of the
letters featured in "The Nature of Independence" by Kenneth Jernigan.

Jennifer talked about the great array of NFB literature that continues to
inspire us.  She would like to know what piece of literature or article had
particular meaning for us; we may print some of these in the Minnesota
Bulletin to share with newer members.  A lot of our history is on our
Website.  In particular, she recommended an article from 2007 by Joyce
Scanlan entitled "How Our Organization Came To Be."

Jeopardy answer:  The year that the NFB of Minnesota and BLIND moved into
the Pillsbury mansion.

Question from Pat Barrett:  What is 1994?  This sound clip featured the
ringing of several miniature freedom bells to celebrate the grand opening.

Jeopardy answer:  The number of articles published in the NFB's Kernel Book
series written by Minnesotans.

Question from Jan Bailey:  What are ten?

Dick Davis announced that we sold $620 worth of commemorative coins.  There
are still more to sell.

We thanked Tim Aune and Steve Jacobson for all the sound clips from the
Jeopardy questions.

Our bake sale auction, held throughout the convention, yielded us $3,361.

Closing remarks from Andy Virden, on behalf of our host chapter, and Mark
Riccobono, our national representative, ended a convention that showed lots
of energy and came away with lots of ambitious plans.

Resolution A10-01

Regarding adequate funding for senior services

WHEREAS, State Services for the Blind's senior services unit provides a
variety of services to blind seniors in the state of Minnesota, especially
crucial adjustment to blindness training in the home or through group
classes, as well as access to information and resources; and

WHEREAS, these services are essential for many seniors who wish to maintain
their independence; and

WHEREAS, these crucial services can be provided for a one time cost of 20 to
50 percent of a single month of assisted living or nursing home care which
would otherwise go on for years; and

WHEREAS, as the population continues to age, these services will be
important to an ever-growing number of older Minnesotans;  now therefore

BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota in
convention assembled this 7th day of November, 2010 in the city of St.
Cloud, that this organization call upon the governor and the state
legislature to provide adequate funding for senior services for blind
Minnesotans.

A Little Something for Our Seniors Division

By Tom Scanlan

I recently had a discussion with a couple of our members who are entering
middle age in which I learned that they had never heard an un-popped kernel
of popcorn called an Old Maid, nor knew the same term was used for a
never-married woman (although not to her face).  How times change.

Even more recently, I received an email with the subject "A Test for Old
Kids."  So here is that test for our seniors to see if they are old enough
to remember these things but not so old as to forget them.

By the way, I got all but one right.  The answers are listed after the
items.

1. After the Lone Ranger saved the day and rode off into the sunset, the
grateful citizens would ask, "Who was that masked man?"  Invariably, someone
would answer, 'I don't know, but he left this behind."  What did he leave
behind?

2. When the Beatles first came to the U.S. in early 1964, we all watched
them on the _______________ Show.

3.  "Get your kicks __________________."

04.  "The story you are about to see is true.  The names have been changed
to ___________________."

5. "In the jungle, the mighty jungle, ________________."

6. After the Twist, The Mashed Potato, and the Watusi, we "danced" under a
stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called
_____________.

7.  "Nestle's makes the very best _______________."

8.  Satchmo was America's "Ambassador of Goodwill."  Our parents shared this
great jazz trumpet player with us.  His name was _________________.

9.  What takes a licking and keeps on ticking?

10. Red Skeleton's hobo character was named __________________ and Red
always ended his television show by saying, "Good Night, and
________________."

11. Some Americans who protested the Vietnam War did so by burning
their______________.

12.  The cute little car with the engine in the back and the trunk in the
front was called the VW.  What other two names did it go by?

13. In 1971, singer Don MacLean sang a song about, "the day the music died."
This was a tribute to ___________________.

14. We can remember the first satellite placed into orbit.  The Russians did
it.  It was called __________________.

15.  One of the big fads of the late '50s and '60s was a large plastic ring
that we twirled around our waist.  It was called the ________________.

ANSWERS:

1. A silver bullet.

2. The Ed Sullivan Show

3.  on Route 66

4.  to protect the innocent.

5.  The Lion Sleeps Tonight

6.  The limbo

7.  Chocolate

8.  Louis Armstrong

9.  The Timex watch

10.  Freddy the Freeloader and "Good Night and God Bless."

11.  Draft cards (Bras were also burned.  Not flags, as some have guessed)

12.  Beetle or Bug

13.  Buddy Holly

14.  Sputnik

15.  Hoola-hoop

Convention Alert!

Exciting times are coming in NFB conventions.  Keep these in mind as you
plan your activities throughout the coming year.

The Semiannual NFB of Minnesota Convention will be May 21, 2011 at the NFB
of Minnesota building in Minneapolis.  Members have received a letter with
details, and the letter is on our website at www.nfbmn.org.

The National NFB Convention will be July 3 - 8, 2011 at the Rosen Shingle
Creek Resort in Orlando, Florida.  This is nearly a week of friends, fun,
and serious business.  It is a chance to be part of the largest gathering of
blind people in the world.  The full convention bulletin is in the Braille
Monitor, and in the Upcoming Events section of the www.nfb.org website.

The Annual NFB of Minnesota convention will be October or November 2011 in
the Metro area.  Members will receive a letter with details about a month
before the convention, and the letter will be on our website at
www.nfbmn.org.

Chapter and Other Meetings to Remember

Metro Chapter - Twin Cities area; meets at 2:00 p.m. on the third Saturday
of every month at NFB of MN Headquarters, 100 East 22nd Street in
Minneapolis

Riverbend Chapter - New Ulm area; meets at 9:00 a.m. on the third Saturday
of every month in New Ulm; contact Monica Buboltz at 507-354-5680 for
meeting location

Rochester Chapter - Rochester area; meets at 7:00 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday
of every month at Peace United Church of Christ in Rochester

Central Minnesota Chapter - St. Cloud area; meets at 12:30 on the second
Saturday of every month at Waite Park American Legion Restaurant in St.
Cloud

Runestone Chapter - Alexandria area; meets at 1:30 on the third Saturday of
every month at First Congregational Church in Alexandria

Braille Club - Any National Federation of the Blind member who uses braille
is invited to attend.  This group meets at the NFB of Minnesota headquarters
at 100 E. 22nd Street in Minneapolis on the first, second, and third
non-holiday Monday of the month from 4:30-6:30.  Its purpose is to improve
braille skills and get better acquainted with other NFB braille users.
Attendees bring their own book or magazine or borrow one.  Contact Melody
Wartenbee at 612-870-9484 or e-mail mlwartenbee at gamil.com.

Saturday School - Every third Saturday of the month from 10:00 a.m.-Noon at
the NFB of Minnesota headquarters at 100 E. 22nd Street in Minneapolis.
Saturday School is geared generally for blind children K-6 to find
confidence and normalcy by learning to do everyday things from blind people
who lead normal lives doing those things everyday, and to come to know blind
people are really just like everyone else.  Contact Steve Jacobson at
952-927-7694 or e-mail steve.jacobson at visi.com.

Teen Night Transition Club - Every third Friday of the month 6:30-9:30 p.m.

at the NFB of Minnesota headquarters at 100 E. 22nd Street in Minneapolis.
Teen night is driven mostly by the teens!  It is an opportunity for blind
teens ages 13-18 to network and socialize with each other and with young
adult blind mentors.  Once they come, teens don't want to miss it!  Contact
Charlene Guggisberg at 507-351-5413 or e-mail cguggisberg at blindinc.org

Acknowledgements

Many people are involved in getting this issue to you.  The writers can
write and the editor can edit, but until the material is printed, brailled,
recorded, and distributed, it is just a computer file.  Therefore, we owe
great thanks to the following people for the work they do in producing this
publication.

Dave Andrews marks up and posts the NFB-NEWSLINER edition.

Tim Aune duplicates the cassette tape edition and makes the master copy for
the Compact Disc edition.

Jennifer Dunnam transcribes the braille edition.

Art Hadley reads the audio edition for cassette tape and Compact Disc.

Judy Sanders proofreads and provides corrections for both the print and
braille editions.

Tom Scanlan marks up and posts the website edition.

Sid Starnes deals with the printer for the print edition and other tasks as
needed.

Emily Zitek embosses and collates the copies for the braille edition and
mails all editions.

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB

President, NFB Writers' Division