[Nfb-editors] Lakes Region Chapter November newsletter&calendar

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Sun Nov 13 11:20:23 UTC 2011

LAKES REGION NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND of NH NEWSLETTER for November, 2011

    We invite all persons interested in matters concerning blindness and low vision to our meetings. We normally meet at 10:30 AM on the 3rd Saturday of the month at the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church on Parade Road (Rt. 106), a little north of Elm St., Laconia. Our next meeting will be the third Saturday of November, the 19th.

Last month we had as visitor the new head of the NH Talking Book Library, Marilyn Stevenson, who chatted informally about her experiences here. As usual, we ended with our informal pot luck luncheon.

This month we will discuss possible physical activities suitable for blind persons of various ages. Of course, we will end with our pot-luck lunch. As always, guests and first-time attendees are not expected to bring any food or drink.

I continue to need suggestions for possible future speakers or discussion topics.

==

Do you know another blind or low vision person? Invite them to join us. We are the blind working to help the blind by sharing information, techniques, resources, and socialization. Help bring others to share with us. With their permission give us their regular or e-mail addresses so we can send announcements. We produce this newsletter in large print and by email. lease request your preferred format. edmeskys at roadrunner.com, 253-6207.

If you need help with transportation to NFB meetings ONLY, please call Ed Meskys several days before the meeting and we will see what we can do to help.

CALENDAR

NOTE: I try to list all blind related events I become aware of. Please send news of other events to add to the list .

Sat Nov 19, 11 AM, NFB LR chapter meeting, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Rt 106, Laconia

Fri, Dec 2, 9-noon, Tech Users meeting, NHAB, Concord. Call 800-464-3075 for transportation.

Sat, Dec 3, 1-3:30, Dog Guide Users Christmas Party & Dutch treat lunch, Red Blazer Restaurant, Concord

Tues, Dec 6, SSIL cancelled

Sat Dec 10, NFBNH Board Christmas Party for all in NH, Marriott Courtyard Hotel, Nashua

Sat, Dec 10, noon-4 PM, Association of Blind Citizens Free Annual Holiday Luncheon, Fours Restaurant located at 166 Canal Street in Boston. ABC's holiday luncheon will be free to the blind community. Bring your friends and be part of this memorable holiday event.

Register by calling 781-654-2000 and be sure to leave

A call-back number.

Sun, Dec 11, 3 PM, NFB goes to Holiday Pops Concert in Meredith followed by Dutch treat dinner at Mug restaurant. Confirm at 253-6207.

Sat Jan 21, LR Chapter meeting

Wed, Feb 1, Lions Day on Ice, Saddleback Lions Club, Dave Linden 463-7348

Mon-Thu, Feb 6-9, NFB Washington Seminar

Tues, Feb 7, SSIL, Laconia Senior Center, 1-3 PM.

Su-Th, Feb 12-16, Maine Handicapped Skiing hosting New England's Blind and Visually Impaired Alpine Ski Festival. [Alpine skiing] For details, http://nevifest.org/ For year round outdoor activities check http://www.nepassage.org  For Nordic skiing events, look for "Ski For Light."(508-660-9270)

Sat, Feb 18, LR chapter meeting

Fri-Sat  Mar 30-31, NFB of NH annual state convention, Marriott Courtyard, Nashua. NOTE NEW DATE

Fri-Sun, April 13-15, Blind Bowlers, aka Lions Vision 2012, 673-2322

Sat, June 2, NHAB Blind Awareness Walk. Join NFB team. Call Deborah Moore 960-0162.