[Nfb-editors] Nevada's "Silver Standard" September-October 2011

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Mon Nov 14 12:07:42 UTC 2011

SILVER STANDARD

September/October, 2011

The Voice of the National Federation of the Blind of Nevada

"It is Respectible to be blind in Nevada."

Editor, William Harmon

1401 North Michael Way #118

Las Vegas, NV  89108

Phone: (702) 646-3190

(Email,  <mailto:wlharmon1447 at gmail.com> wlharmon1447 at gmail.com(

     Welcome fellow Federationists and friends to the September/October
issue of the "Silver Standard".It is our purpose to keep you in touch with
the activities of the Organized Blind Movement in Nevada and in the nation.
It is also our intention to provide you with news and commentary about
issues and events that concern NFB members as well as blind people in
general. We invite input from you about things that you wish to see in this
newsletter, and ask you to contribute articles and information. If you have
any questions, comments, or suggestions, you may write, call, or email me
using the information listed above.

William Harmon

NFBN Board of Directors.

Rena Smith President, Las Vegas

Rochelle Harmon Vice President, Las Vegas

Kimie Beverly Secretary, Las Vegas

William Harmon Treasurer, Las Vegas

Thomas Kearns Board Member, Reno

Jeanine Mooers Board Member, Reno

"State Convention Information."

     On November 4, 5, and 6 the NFBN will host its convention at the Golden
Nugget Las Vegas. On Friday night, there will be a meet-and-greet along with
a meeting of the NFBN Board of Directors. During the day on Saturday we will
hold our general session. At the same time, our students will be attending
their own seminar. On Saturday night we will have our annual banquet. On
Sunday morning, elections will be held. There are three board positions that
need to be filled. Along with the meeting on Saturday, various venders will
be showing and selling different products and the Blind Driver Simulator
will be on display. Members can sign up to try out this simulator. The cost
is $5.0. If you wish to register for the convention, the cost is $20.0
Banquet tickets are $30.0 per person and yearly dues in the NFBN are $10.0.
Those members who wish to reserve a hotel room at the Golden Nugget must
have there reservations in by October 7. The reservation code is 1DR6DC, or
you can mention the National Federation of the Blind of Nevada. Rooms are
$92.0 per night if you stay in the Carson Tower. To make a reservation, you
must call (800) 634-3454.

"Braille Jewelry Alert"

     Laura Legendary of Elegant Insights Jewelry announces that she will
have some of her fabulous Braille jewelry on display at our NFBN State
Convention. Her pieces are made from copper, brass, and stainless steel and
make excellent gifts for that special person in your life who reads Braille.
They are also good as collector's items.

     Customers may have pieces of jewelry embossed or they can buy
ready-made items. With the Christmas holiday approaching quickly, it
wouldn't be a bad idea to drop by the Elegant Insights exhibit to see what
there is to see. You can order online at (
<http://www.elegantinsightsjewelry.com> www.elegantinsightsjewelry.com).
Laura and her company can also be found on Twitter and Facebook.

"Scholarship News."

     Will you be graduating from high school in 2012? Are you currently
enrolled in a college, university, or trade school? If you are, then you
might want to think about applying for one of the two NFBN scholarships.
During our state convention, we will be awarding scholarships for $750.0 and
$500.0. Applicants must be legally blind. They must also be NFB members, be
enrolled in classes at a college, university, or trade school in the spring
semester of 2012 or show proof that they have been accepted at one of the
above-mentioned institutions for the 2012-13 school year.

     They must provide a letter explaining their reasons for applying for
the scholarship, fill out the scholarship application, and include a letter
of reference from an officer in the NFB, two letters of reference from a
teacher, instructor, or professor at their school, and their most recent
transcript. In addition, applicants must be able to attend the NFBN State
Convention in November.

     The application and instructions for applying are online. Go to
<http://www.nfbnevada.org> www.nfbnevada.org and click on the scholarship
link. You can then download, print, and fill out the application.
Applications must be received no later than October 14. The winners will be
announced at the state convention banquet on the evening of November 5.

"Our Favorite Rep is Coming Back to Nevada!"

     NFBN President Rena Smith has recently heard that our national
representative for this year's State Convention is going to be Ron Gardner
of Utah. A lot of people wanted to come when they heard that our NFBN
convention was taking place at the Golden Nugget Las Vegas, but we can only
have one national rep, and Ron is it. We are all looking forward to seeing
him.

Recent Events.

"A Special Ceremony for a Special Member"

     On August 12, a graduation party was held for Dora Uchel. Dora is our
Student Division Representative and an applicant for our 2011 NFBN
scholarship. The party was held at Truckee Meadows Community College in
Reno, and was attended by thirty people.

     NFBN Board Member Thomas Kearns was the host of this wonderful
gathering, and speeches were made by both the TMCC President and the
librarian. Dora joined the NFBN in 2008 after moving to the United States
from the Pacific island of Palao. Besides pursuing an education, she is also
the mother of five children. She is currently attending classes at the
University of Nevada Reno where she hopes to obtain a degree in Social Work.
All of us in the Organized Blind Movement in Nevada applaud Dora and wish
her luck.

"Mark Ricobono Visits The Silver State"

     During the week of August 15, the Blind Veterans of America, (BVA),
held its convention at the Golden Nugget Las Vegas. Mark Ricobono, (the
blind driver) and the director of the NFB Jernigan Institute, visited that
convention, and on the evening of August 17, Rena Smith, Kimie Beverly, and
Raquel O'neill joined him for dinner. That next day, Mr. Ricobono went with
Rena Smith to the offices of the Bureau of Services to the Blind on West
Charleston Blvd.     After meeting with several staff members at that
agency, it became clear that a new relationship is forming between the NFBN
and the BSB. Both parties expressed the desire to work together to develop
programs that will help Nevada's blind population. Mr. Ricobono went away
from that meeting with a positive impression of our blind services agency
and left behind an even more positive impression of the organized Blind
Movement.

"The Northern Nevada Chapter Parties!"

     On August 20, the Northern Nevada Chapter hosted their annual summer
party. It took place between 12:00 and 3:00 p.m. at the recreation room of
Armando Zumaya's apartment building. The Duck House Chinese Restaurant
provided the food and Pauline Mooers, who refers to herself as an NFB
mother, baked some delicious desserts.

     All generations were represented. Professor Elke Folmer and a couple of
teenage members brought adapted games. Two of Dora Uchel's young children
were in attendance and Jeanine Mooer's grandmother was also on hand. A good
time was had by all!

"Who Are Our Board Members?"

     In the next few issues of this newsletter, we will be profiling a
member of our Board of Directors. This is our attempt to help members and
others get to know the leaders of the NFBN. This issue will profile our
excellent State President. Rena Smith took over an organization that was on
the verge of imploding, and in less than two years, she has not only turn
things around, she has created new programs that have helped the NFBN grow
rapidly.

     She says that her goal is to build a strong membership, create good
programs for blind Nevadans, teach blind people in Nevada the importance of
self-advocacy, and fight for the civil rights of blind people around the
state. She believes that it is not the blindness that is the tragedy, it is
the lack of information about blindness that is the most serious problem.

     Rena Smith has had to face many challenges. She lost her sight in 1972,
and besides having to deal with a physical disability, she had three
children to raise on her own. Today, we have the Americans With Disabilities
Act and other laws to protect us from discrimination and to ensure that we
have the opportunity to live normal lives. We also have a huge inventory of
adaptive equipment and technology that helps us do everything from reading
medicine bottles to crossing busy intersections safely. However; in the
1970s, a lot of this wasn't around. We had to be as resourceful as possible
in order to cope with something as routine as taking a bus to a grocery
store or helping a child with homework.

     Rena was born in New Jersey and raised in Michigan. Growing up in
Detroit in the turbulent 1950s and 1960s, she had to deal with the racial
discrimination that was the rule of life at that time. She dropped out of
school in the tenth grade, but later, she received her GED and attended
college. Since she had already lost her vision by then, she needed to get
training in what we now call "blindness skills". She attended the Michigan
Rehabilitation School for the Blind where she learned Braille, independent
living skills, and orientation and mobility. She eventually earned her BA
degree in Sociology with a minor in Human Services.

     Rena had the same college experience that most of us who attended post
secondary educational institutions in the 1970s, 1980s, and before remember
all too well. This included depending on sighted readers to read our
textbooks, taking oral exams, and having somebody take our notes. This was
often difficult because the readers often read what they wished to read and
not necessarily what she needed to hear.

     She used a Smith Corona typewriter, and had to ask for help to correct
and edit papers. When mail arrived, someone had to read that to her as well.
It was not easy, and she did not have all of the government regulations to
protect her rights as a student. There were some protections under 503, 504,
and 505; laws that many people barely understand today. Back then , most
college and university officials hadn't heard of these regulations and when
they did, they fought hard not to enforce them. Blind students had to be
strong advocates for themselves if they wished to succeed.

     Rena wanted to obtain a master's degree, but the rehab agency refused
to pay for her to continue her education. That was not uncommon back then.
Their policy was to assist clients to get into an entry level position.
After that, you were on your own. Rena went to work instead. She has worked
in the area of homeless affairs, legal aid, and all levels of disability
advocacy. In 2005, she received a paralegal degree, and is currently
pursuing a master's degree in Rehabilitation and Independent Living Skills
from Western University. She has not given up on her dream of obtaining an
advanced degree.

     Rena is also a published author. In July of 2010 her novel, "Triumphing
Over Darkness" was published. She is already working on her second novel.
Rena has received a number of leadership awards including the Martin Luther
King Community Award, the Andre Agassi Award, the Senator Bryan Award, and
Straight From the Heart.

     Rena joined the NFB in 1974, but the demands of life prevented her from
becoming an active member for many years. She believed in the Federation's
message, however, and she tried to live according to its philosophy. She
says that if she had known everything that she now knows about the NFB and
its importance in the lives of blind people, she would have become active
from the beginning. She found the Federation again in late 2006, and in
November of 2008 she was elected to the NFBN Board of Directors. In January
of 2010, she became Acting President, a position she held until the members
made it official in November of that year. Our State President is a
hard-working individual who truly loves the Organized Blind Movement. We
love her, and we hope that she will be a powerful advocate for the rights of
blind people in Nevada for many more years.

"NFB 101."

     In 1978, the NFB moved its headquarters to Baltimore, Maryland. Our
first address in that city was 1101 Saint Paul Street, however, like our
previous national offices, this address was a rented suite in a building
that somebody else owned. We wanted our own building that we could turn into
a national showplace and a monument to the Organized Blind Movement. With
this in mind, Dr. Kenneth Jernigan began searching for a building that we
could purchase and renovate. Money was tight, so he had to find just the
right place.

     He finally located an old warehouse in an area of Baltimore known as
South Federal Hill near the Inner Harbor. It was dank, dusty, and swarming
with bats, but it was inexpensive. Also, at over 200,000 square feet, it was
large enough to fit our purposes. We bought the property for $575,000.0 and
began fixing it up. It took a few years, and was a serious headache at
times, but with a lot of hard work, that old hulk of a building was
transformed into the National Center for the Blind.

     Today, it is one of the most impressive buildings in that section of
Baltimore, but it is not just the place where our organization houses its
national headquarters. It includes the Independence Market which sells many
different products to blind people, the National Braille and Technology
Center for the Blind which provides technical support for blind people who
use adaptive equipment, a huge library, sleeping rooms for people attending
conferences and seminars, an enormous kitchen and dining room, lots of
meeting space, and much more. I first visited the National Center in 1988,
and have been there many times since then, and each time I visit, I leave
with a feeling of pride in our movement.

     In October of 2001, our organization held a ground-breaking ceremony
for the NFB Jernigan Institute. It was to be constructed on land directly
adjacent to the National Center. Robert and Carol Lee from Nevada were two
of the many Federationists who attended the ground-breaking. Twenty-seven
months and over $20,000,000.0 later, the Jernigan Institute was completed,
and in February of 2004, I attended its grand opening along with my wife,
four other Nevadans, and 1,300 other proud Federationists. Like the National
Center for the Blind, the Jernigan Institute is tangible proof that the NFB
is on the move and is continuing to change what it means to be blind. In the
next issue, I will discuss the Jernigan Institute and our reasons for
building it in greater detail.

"NFB Knowledge Contest"

     Below you will find three questions about our organization. If you
answer one question correctly, you will receive an official NFB thumb drive.
If you answer two questions correctly, you will receive a twenty-five-dollar
gift card from Applebee's. If you answer all three questions correctly, you
will receive a beautiful gift basket. You must write your answers in Braille
or print and drop them in a box at the state convention registration table.
If you are not attending the convention, you must email your answers to the
address at the top of this newsletter no later than midnight on November 6.
Your name will then be put into a drawing. The winners will be notified
privately no later than November 10, but their names will be announced in
the November/December issue of the "Silver Standard". In order to be
eligible to win one of the prizes, you must live in the state of Nevada and
may not be a member of the NFBN Board of Directors.

     Before we go on to the questions for this issue, I suppose I should
give the answer for the previous issue. So far, Frida Aizenman of Reno and
Shaetonna Jackson of Las Vegas have been the only members who were brave
enough to attempt to answer the questions. Freida answered all three
questions correctly, and Shaetonna answered two. Come on Nevada
Federationists. Give it a try.

1.      Dr. Jacobus tenBroek was born in Canada in 1911.

2.      In 1940, blind people from seven states came together to form our
organization.

3.      The speech in which Dr. Kenneth Jernigan made the statement, "We
know who we are    and we will never go back." Was entitled "Of Visions and
Vultures" and it was made at    our 1976 national convention in Los Angeles.
We'll see what happens next.

     Here are the questions for this issue. Good luck.

1.      Between 1950 and 2011, our organization held its annual convention
in New York City    only once. In what year did the NFB hold its national
convention in The Big Apple?                                           a.
1973  b. 1956  c. 1985

2.      For many years, the address of the NFB national headquarters was 218
Randolph Hotel    Building. In what city was this located?

3.       What now-deceased leader of the NFB once served in the Kansas State
Legislature?

Coming Events.

     On October 13, the Northern Nevada Chapter is participating in a
Disabilities Awareness Day at Truckee Meadows Community College. Our State
President Rena Smith and Scott Labarre who is an attorney and President of
the NFB of Colorado, will attend this event.

     On October 15, the Las Vegas Chapter is hosting its semiannual pancake
breakfast. This will occur at the Las Vegas Blind Center between 8:00 and
11:00 a.m. Tickets are $10.0 a piece. Participants are asked to bring a toy
which wil be donated to the Shadetree Shelter. The Las Vegas Blind Center is
located at 1000 N. Bruce Street.

     The NFB of Nevada is about to introduce its first resource booklet. In
this publication, blind people will be able to find out what resources are
available to them in our state and how to access them. There will be more
information about this booklet in the November/December issue.

     On October 29, the Northern Nevada Chapter is hosting a fund raiser at
the Texas Roadhouse in Reno. This will take place between 11:00 a.m. and
3:00 p.m. The Texas Roadhouse is located at 150 Damonte Ranch Parkway.

"In Momorium"

     This past summer, two NFBN Las Vegas Chapter members lost family
members. In July, our President Rena Smith lost her mother and in August,
Shelley Jones lost her mother. Because Federationists are a family, our
hearts go out to any members who have suffered losses or tragedies of any
kind. Rena and Shelley, please know that we are thinking about you and your
families.

"A Federation Song"

     We have a number of songs in the NFB,, and although we do not sing them
as much as we once did, they still mean a lot to many of us in the Organized
Blind Movement. I grew up singing these songs, and thought that I might
share some of them with you. This issue's offering is short, sweet, and to
the point. I will tackle longer balids in later issues, but for this
installment, I have chosen a little song called "O, NFB. It is sung to the
tune of "America The Beautiful" and really explains what the NFB is, why it
was organized, and what it is determined to accomplish.

Verse 1. The dismal past when condescending pity held us fast, shall be
replaced by independence, dignity at last.

Chorus. O, NFB, O NFB, thy goal shall ever be, security, equality, and
opportunity.

Verse 2. With firm determination we go forward as one mind. The Federation
spirit says, the blind shall lead the blind.

Chorus. O, NFB, O, NFB thy goal shall ever be, security, equality, and
opportunity.

"Contact Information"

     If you wish to contact the national office of the NFB by mail,
telephone, or fax, you can utilize the information below.

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, MD 21230

Telephone: (410) 659-9314

Fax: (410) 685-6563

Email: ( <http://www.nfb.org> www.nfb.org)

To contact the NFB of Nevada, you may write to our president, Ms Rena Smith
at:

1344 North Jones Blvd.

Las Vegas, NV 89108

Telephone: (702) 228-4217

Email: ( <mailto:realhappygirl1 at gmail.com> realhappygirl1 at gmail.com)

     You may also access our state affiliate's website at
(www.nfbnevada.org)

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB

President, NFB Writers' Division