[Nfb-editors] Edited- Status of NFB Newsletters Stressed

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Tue Nov 15 12:53:41 UTC 2011

Note: First- Colorado has written and has changed from a monthly to a
quarterly publication. Second- Yeah, someone pointed out to me what "by
annual" versus "semi-annual" means --- I knew that! Yes, I need the editing.
Thanks

This is a report of what I'm seeing relating to the publication frequency of
the 18 affiliate newsletters which say they are in business. I'm finding
that the majority, ten out of the eighteen are experiencing difficulties in
meeting their publication goals. And I stress, this report is not meant to
be a criticism in any way, shape or form! I, and we all know the important
job our affiliate newsletters do for our mission to change what it means to
be blind. We on this list and within the NFB Publications committee are all
about the promotion, support and enhancement of our newsletters. Maybe what
positive can come from this collection of data --- to know where affiliate
newsletters are "stressed," (my choice of word), is to be in a position
where we can collectively reach out and provide some assistance.

Dear Editors

Status of the Publication of NFB Affiliate Newsletters

This is a report of what I'm seeing relating to the publication frequency of
the 18 affiliate newsletters which say they are in business. I'm finding
that half of them, nine out of the eighteen are experiencing difficulties in
meeting their publication goals. And I stress, this report is not meant to
be a criticism in any way, shape or form! I, and we all know the important
job our affiliate newsletters do for our mission to change what it means to
be blind. We on this list and within the NFB Publications committee are all
about the promotion, support and enhancement of our newsletters. Maybe what
positive can come from this collection of data --- to know where affiliate
newsletters are "stressed," (my choice of word), is to be in a position
where we can collectively reach out and provide some assistance.

The 18 newsletters are divided below into two groups --- "Publication on
track, not stressed" & "Publication not on track, stressed"

I give the name of the state, the newsletter name, the frequency of
publication (when I could discern it), and when it was last published.

***9 Publications on track, not stressed:

*Colorado, "The Blind Coloradan" (Published quarterly): July 2011

(Just restarted 2011)

Connecticut, "The Federationest in Connecticut" (Published semi-annually):
last issued --- Spring-Summer 2011

Illinois, "The Braille Examiner" (Published semi-annually): last issued ---
Winter 2011

Kansas, "Tap Tracks" (Published semi-annually): last issued --- Autum-Winter
2011

Kentucky, "The Kentucky Cardinal" (Published quarterly): last issued ---
Summer 2011

Minnesota, "Minnesota Bulletin" (Published quarterly): last issued --- Fall
2011

Nevada, "The Silver Standard" (Published by monthly): last issued ---
September-October 2011

(Just started 2011)

Ohio, (The Buckeye Bulletin" (Published semi-annually): last issued ---
Summer Fall 2011

New Mexico, "Que Pasa" (Published quarterly): last issued --- September 2011

**9 Publications not on track, stressed:

Alaska, "Alaska, Newsletter" (Published monthly): last issued --- August
2011

Idaho, "The Gem State Milestones" (Published quarterly): last issued ---
Winter 2010

Maryland, "The Braille Spectator" (Published quarterly): last issued ---
Spring 2011

Missouri, (The Blind Missourian" (Published unknown?): last issued ---
February 2011

New Jersey, "The Sounding Board" (Published quarterly): last issued --- Fall
2010

Pennsylvania, "The Blind Activist" (Published semi-annually): last issued
--- Spring-Summer 2009

Utah, "Blindness Matters" (Published quarterly): last issued --- March 2011

(Just started 2011)

Virginia, "NFB Vigilant" (Published quarterly): last issued --- Spring 2011

Wisconsin, "The Spotlight" (Published quarterly): last issued --- Spring
2011

(Just started 2011)

The 18 newsletters are divided below into two groups --- "Publication on
track, not stressed" & "Publication not on track, stressed"

I give the name of the state, the newsletter name, the frequency of
publication (when I could discern it), and when it was last published.

***8 Publications on track, not stressed:

Connecticut, "The Federationest in Connecticut" (Published by annually):

last issued --- Spring-Summer 2011

Illinois, "The Braille Examiner" (Published by annually): last issued ---
Winter 2011

Kansas, "Tap Tracks" (Published by annually): last issued --- Autum-Winter

2011

Kentucky, "The Kentucky Cardinal" (Published quarterly): last issued ---
Summer 2011

Minnesota, "Minnesota Bulletin" (Published quarterly): last issued --- Fall

2011

Nevada, "The Silver Standard" (Published by monthly): last issued ---
September-October 2011

(Just started 2011)

Ohio, (The Buckeye Bulletin" (Published by annually): last issued --- Summer
Fall 2011

New Mexico, "Que Pasa" (Published quarterly): last issued --- September 2011

**10 Publications not on track, stressed:

Alaska, "Alaska, Newsletter" (Published monthly): last issued --- August

2011

Colorado, "The Blind Coloradan" (Published monthly): July 2011

(Just restarted 2011)

Idaho, "The Gem State Milestones" (Published quarterly): last issued ---
Winter 2010

Maryland, "The Braille Spectator" (Published quarterly): last issued ---
Spring 2011

Missouri, (The Blind Missourian" (Published unknown?): last issued ---
February 2011

New Jersey, "The Sounding Board" (Published quarterly): last issued --- Fall

2010

Pennsylvania, "The Blind Activist" (Published by annually): last issued ---
Spring-Summer 2009

Utah, "Blindness Matters" (Published quarterly): last issued --- March 2011

(Just started 2011)

Virginia, "NFB Vigilant" (Published quarterly): last issued --- Spring 2011

Wisconsin, "The Spotlight" (Published quarterly): last issued --- Spring

2011

(Just started 2011)

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB