[Nfb-editors] 2011 Summer "the Illinois Braille Examiner"

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Thu Sep 8 02:27:37 UTC 2011

THE BRAILLE EXAMINER

Pre-Convention 2011

Editor:  Debbie Stein

President:  Patti Gregory-Chang

CONTACT INFORMATION

President: Patti Gregory-Chang, (773) 307-6440, pattichang at att.net

Editor:  Deborah Kent Stein, (773) 631-1093,  <mailto:dkent5817 at .att.net>
dkent5817 at .att.net

Format Editor & Electronic Distribution: Connie Davis, (773) 338-6922,
<mailto:condav8950@> condav8950 at att.net

Limited Print Edition Duplication: Carolyn Nelson, Springfield

Newsline® Edition:  David Meyer, (78) 209-1767, datemeyer at sbcglobal.net

Braille Edition:  Bill Reif, (217) 801-2996, billreif at ameritech.net

Proofreaders:, David Meyer, Bill Reif, Steve Hastalis & Connie Davis

Website:  Byron Lee, webmaster, www.nfbofillinois.org;

PRESIDENT’S REPORT

by Patti Gregory-Chang

The past few months have been very busy here in Illinois, and we have a lot
of exciting events coming up soon. I will tell you about some of the things
we have done recently as well as our plans for the future.

In March and April, barely a month apart, the NFB of Illinois sponsored two
seminars. We held a membership-building seminar on March 12 and a parents
seminar on April 9. Twenty-seven of our upcoming and current leaders
attended the membership seminar. Guests Ron Gardner and Jason Ewell
facilitated throughout the day, and many of our own leaders actively
participated. We learned about ourselves and our individual management and
personality styles. Ron taught us to get people involved by giving them ways
to contribute. Jason led a discussion on how to make chapter meetings more
interesting.

Our Renewal Committee and several chapters of the affiliate are following up
on suggestions that came out of the seminar. The Illinois Association of
Blind Students (IABS) is circulating a flier. The Blackhawk Chapter will
host a membership event on August 6 in conjunction with our upcoming state
board meeting. The Chicago and At Large Chapters are calling potential
members from our lists of people who have requested white canes from the
national office.

Over sixty people attended our parents seminar, "SPRING into Action: Home,
School and Beyond." Three events were held simultaneously--the main event
for parents, the Teen Scene, and Kids Camp. Our keynote speaker was Amy
Lund, a teacher of the visually impaired from Springfield. Marybeth
Lauderdale, the new director of the Illinois School for the Visually
Impaired (ISVI), also gave a presentation. Throughout the day parents had
the chance to network with one another and with active Federationists. The
evaluations we received indicate that parents and kids enjoyed a positive
experience.

As the state of Illinois faces a budget crisis, we have been increasingly
concerned with possible changes at ISVI. At several points in time it
appeared that ISVI might be consolidated with the Illinois School for the
Deaf (ISAID) or closed entirely. Our ISVI Committee, chaired by Denise
Avant, spent considerable time convincing legislators and others that both
of these ideas are unacceptable. The committee has also tracked the paths of
various pieces of legislation pertaining to the school.

Nine delegates from Illinois attended the Washington Seminar in January. We
are now beginning to make follow-up visits to our representatives in the
U.S. Congress. We need to have someone to visit a representative in every
Illinois district. Ideally, two people should go together. If you wish to
make a Congressional visit, please contact Annette Grove at (618) 235-3330.

Freedom Link, our transitions club for blind teens, continues to be one of
our strongest programs. This year's group of students is particularly close
and responsive to this mentoring opportunity.

During the first week in July, forty-three Illinoisans attended the national
convention of the National Federation of the Blind in Orlando, Florida.
Several of our new members attended convention for the first time. We are
honored and proud to have a national scholarship winner from our state.
Ma'ayan Malter graduated from high school in June and will enter the
University of Chicago in the fall. She plans to major in economics.

This year we held our annual face-to-face board meeting in Rock Island on
August 6. A major focus of our board meeting was planning for our state
convention, which will take place in Rock Island on the weekend of October
7-9. Several exciting speakers have already been scheduled. An employment
panel will feature a blind mechanic and a blind chef. We may even hear from
a blind choir director and his choir. Activities for parents, students, and
teens are in the planning stages. Naturally one of our convention highlights
is the Saturday banquet, with a speech from our national representative, Pam
Allen of the Louisiana Center, and the presentation of awards to our five
NFBI scholarship winners.

Registration forms for the NFBI convention are now available and are
included with this newsletter. You can register now and also call the hotel
to reserve a room. The number for the hotel is (309) 794-1212. For more
information on state convention 2011 contact me at (773) 307-6440. The
Chicago Chapter has arranged for a charter bus from downtown Chicago to Rock
Island. For more information about the bus, contact Dave Meyer at (708)
209-1767.

As always, fundraising is an ongoing concern. Joe Monti has graciously
agreed to resume handling our Manna Gift Certificate program. This is a
temporary measure, however, so if you are interested in working on this
project, please let me know. We continue to sell travel mugs and folding
backpacks. If you wish to buy or sell any items, contact Mary Lou Grunewald,
"the Bag Lady," at (312) 207-1663.

Our Public Relations Committee does the important work of letting people
know about the many events we sponsor. PR needs more members to make calls
and send out information. If you would like to join PR or any of our other
committees, please let me know. I can be reached at (773) 307-6440 or
pattichang at att.net.

EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK

based on a letter written By Steve Hastalis, authored by Debbie Stein

On July 26, Federationists in sixteen states took to the streets in a series
of protests against the reauthorization of payment of subminimum wages to
workers with disabilities under the Workforce Investment Act. Carrying signs
and banners, Illinois Federationists marched in front of the Springfield
office of Senator Mark Kirk. Sen. Kirk serves on the Senate Committee on
Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP). Reauthorization of the act is
currently being considered by the HELP Committee. The demonstrators from
NFBI were joined by a group from Springfield Area Disability Activists
(SADA).

Shortly after the demonstration began, the marchers received word that one
of Sen. Kirk's staffers wished to talk with them. The protesters went to
Sen. Kirk's office in groups of three and explained their concerns about the
subminimum wage clause. The staffer asked many questions and took copious
notes. He promised to pass the information on to Senator Kirk.

Prior to the July 26 demonstration, Steve Hastalis visited Sen. Kirk in
Washington, D.C. In the following letter he describes his experience:

"I went to the Senate Office Building on Capitol Hill with a group of
Virginia Federationists on Wednesday, July 20. We visited the offices of the
Illinois and Virginia senators. We especially highlighted the subminimum
wage issue, and Senator Mark Kirk's staff told us that they had received
other calls that morning.

Senator Richard Durbin's staff also suggested we attend the Illinois
senatorial coffee, a regular event that has gone on for the past twenty-five
years. Regardless of party, the senators have had a cordial relationship and
have invited constituents to express their concerns.

"Next day, Thursday, July 21, I attended the senatorial breakfast. It took
place in Senate Russell 325, a room where many historic events have
occurred--including a hearing on the sinking of the Titanic, the Army
McCarthy hearings, and the Watergate hearings chaired by Senator Sam Irvin
in the summer of 1973.

"Senator Durbin introduced a young man from Hinsdale who won an essay
contest for writing a piece about Native Americans. He then asked if anyone
else wanted to introduce himself or herself. I introduced myself on behalf
of the NFB. I then mentioned Section 511 of the Workforce Investment Act
(WIA) and strongly urged its repeal. Sen. Durbin acknowledged that I had
visited and advocated many times before.

"After other discussion, the senators invited constituents forward to have
their pictures taken. When I went forward, they put their arms around my
shoulders and staff members snapped photos. I took the opportunity to
introduce myself to Senator Mark Kirk for the first time. I asked if he
served on the HELP Committee. He told me that he does, and I asked him for
the sense within the committee about Section 511. He replied that Chairman
Tom Harkin had not scheduled the bill for mark-up yet. I strongly urged him,
'Please do everything you can with your colleagues on the committee to make
it go away.'"

A GOOD DOSE OF HUMILITY AND REALITY

by Connie J. Davis

In December 2010 I had a very bad fall. I fractured the orbital bone under
my eye, an injury that could have caused total blindness. The fracture
extended throughout the left side of my face and broke my nose. It also did
extensive damage to my maxillary sinus. In March I had to undergo surgery to
repair the damage.

A day after the injury I picked up a long white cane, and I haven't stopped
using it since. That, in and of itself, is not so amazing. It is not
remarkable that, as a person who is blind with some vision, I was vain and
stubborn and prideful about not using a cane. The remarkable thing is that I
wasn't hurt seriously until 2009. It is amazing that I haven't killed
myself.

In 2009 I was running to catch a train and tripped on a curb. I flew through
the air and fell. I dislocated a shoulder, broke a bone, and did extensive
nerve damage to my left arm. To this day, that injury has not completely
healed. Even after that fall, I refused to use a cane, telling myself it was
a freak accident. But was it?

In December of 2010 I left work and tripped and fell on a bump in the
sidewalk. By the sounds I heard when I hit the ground, I knew that I had
again done serious damage. I returned to work because we had a nurse on
duty. She called 911. When the paramedics came, they strapped me to a
backboard and immobilized my head. At the ER they did a CT scan and
discovered the fracture. I injured my knee as well, and it hasn't been the
same since.

Do you have to hear more to convince you that I needed to be using a cane
long before now?

Like many other people with partial vision, I wanted to believe that I did
not need a cane. I had observed how custodial the sighted public can be
toward those who use a white cane or guide dog. I didn't want to endure that
kind of treatment. I felt embarrassed and ashamed, and didn't want people to
know about my blindness. Of course they knew about it as soon as I tried to
read print. They knew when I descended a flight of stairs and looked down at
the steps, or when I tried to read a read-out of announcements on the bus.

I now know what so many of my blind peers have discovered. Using a white
cane has its challenges. However, it has more benefits than drawbacks. It
has taken a great burden off my shoulders. I share this story in the hope
that someone else will start to use a white cane and will not get injured as
I have.

WINNING THROUGH ADVERSITY: My Experience as a Paralympics Judo Player

by Howard Wilson

It was Saturday, June 4, 2011, and I sat on the bleachers at Oak Lawn
Pavilion, waiting for my first judo tournament to begin. Many thoughts ran
through my mind. What was I doing here? I was a forty-seven-year-old
visually impaired man who had received his first belt promotion one week
earlier. What was I trying to prove? Who was I trying to impress?

My Sensei (instructor) walked toward me and informed me that it was time to
warm up for my first match. I thought about the circumstances that had
brought me to this point. On a snowy December evening, I walked into the
gymnasium at Davis Square Park on the south side of Chicago. I had responded
to an email regarding an open house for judo for the visually impaired. I
thought that I would see a presentation, learn more about the program, and
eat some finger food. To my surprise, I was assisted with my coat and led
straight to the practice mats. In that moment my judo career commenced.

I started taking three to five judo classes a week from Sensei Brett Wolf at
various locations around the city. My first class was on January 5, 2011, at
Norwood Park on Chicago's northwest side. These programs are run through a
partnership between the Chicago Park District, World Sport Chicago, and the
Menomonee Judo Club. Currently judo instruction is available at four parks,
and many more are interested in adding the program.

With the encouragement of my sensei and his staff, I quickly learned basic
judo moves. Techniques are taught in an adapted method. Instructors explain
the movements thoroughly so that I can visualize each one. Sensei Wolf also
emphasizes conditioning and strength training during practice. After six
months of work I was forty-six pounds lighter. It was time for my first
tournament.

The tournament was a large regional event with more than 280 competitors
from five states. On the day of the tournament I weighed in and was entered
into two divisions: senior novice under 220 pounds and masters age 40 to 49.
We decided that I should compete in two divisions to maximize my tournament
experience. Because I got off to a late start in the sport, it's important
for me to learn quickly. The more matches I get, the more comfortable I'm
going to be on the mat.

A tournament organizer asked me if I wanted to compete or simply participate
in some exhibition matches due to my disability. My answer was quick and
definite. I told him that I came to compete, and, moreover, to win. Wow! Why
did I say that? Now I would have to back up my statement!

Unfortunately the divisions I wanted to enter were on two adjoining mats
congruently. Be careful what you ask for! It turned out that I competed in
seven matches in ninety minutes. I was rushed from one mat to another and
back again. My head was spinning and my body ached, but I soldiered on. When
the metaphoric mist cleared, I took first place in the senior novice
division and second place in the masters division.

At the end of the tournament a trophy was given to the most outstanding and
inspirational competitor. It's a special award that is voted on by other
competitors and tournament officials. I was honored to receive the award for
this year.

Wow! What a day! In fact, what a six months! What started as a chance
response to an email ended in athletic excellence.

It's my philosophy that life without challenges is empty and unfulfilling.
This tournament was a great accomplishment, but it's only another step on my
road. I have high expectations for myself, and I will keep working and
dedicating my time and energy until I reach my goals.

Although judo is an individual sport, it took a total team effort for me to
succeed. I am lucky to have great instructors, training partners, staff, and
organizations behind me. It's great to be part of a team with tons of
positive people. I look forward to watching these relationships grow during
the coming years.

CHICAGO CHAPTER NEWS

by David Meyer

Over the past several months, the Chicago Chapter of the National Federation
of the Blind of Illinois continues to move forward with internal matters and
outreach. During our April meeting, we elected officers and board members
for the coming year. The results of the election were as follows: president,
David Meyer; first vice-president, Denise Avant; second vice-president,
Kelly Doty; secretary, Debbie Stein; and treasurer, Steve Hastalis. Board
members are Mary Grunwald, Debbie Pittman, Patti Gregory-Chang, and Jemal
Powell. During our April meeting we also held our annual Meal Appeal
Auction, which brought a little over $200 to the chapter treasury. Many
thanks go to all those who donated and bid on auction items.

In May we began a drive to recruit new members, known as our Colleagues for
Coin Contest. The drive will run through the 2011 calendar year. The winner
will be the person who brings in the greatest number of new people to
chapter meetings. The contest winner will receive a Louis Braille
commemorative coin at  the January 2012 meeting.

In June, we closed a very successful 50/50 raffle with a drawing for 50% of
the proceeds. The lucky winner was Steve Hastalis. More than fifty members
attended this meeting. This is the largest attendance I can ever remember
for a meeting not involving chapter elections. Thank you to the Membership
and Fundraising Committees for such an enjoyable three months.

We have engaged in a number of outreach efforts during the past several
months. In April we took part in technology fairs sponsored by the Disabled
Students Office of the University of Illinois/Chicago and the Guild for the
Blind. In May we presented the NFB at a meeting held at the Illinois Center
for Rehabilitation Education. In addition, several Chicago Chapter members
took part in a roundtable discussion with Kareem Dale, who serves as Special
White House Assistant on Disability Policy to President Barack Obama. This
event was organized by NFBI President Patti Gregory-Chang. In June we took
part in the Visually Impaired Awareness Day sponsored by the DuPage Center
for Independent Living. We participated in the Chicago Disability Pride
Parade on Saturday, July 23.

On Saturday, July 16, Chicago Chapter members and friends enjoyed an
afternoon of sun and socializing at our annual Chicago Chapter picnic.
Picnickers gathered from noon to 4 P.M. at the Landmark Café in the Lincoln
Park Zoo.

Our chapter meetings are generally scheduled for the second Saturday of each
month at the Exchequer Pub and Restaurant, 226 South Wabash, Chicago,
Illinois. We begin at 1 P.M. If you have any questions, please contact me at
(708) 209-1767. I look forward to seeing all of you in the months ahead.

SUMMER EVENTS IN THE BLACKHAWK CHAPTER

by Bob Gardner

The Blackhawk Chapter takes a break in the summer, holding no regular
meetings in July or August. Nonetheless, we have been active these past few
months, and we have plans for more events in the near future.

In May the chapter held a special luncheon meeting at Bennigans Restaurant
in Rock Island. The meeting was attended by twenty-eight people. As a
demonstration of our ability to take public transportation, some members
took the bus from Moline to reach the restaurant.

Our June meeting was a cookout and potluck at the home of the Gardners on
the Mississippi River in Hampton. Besides enjoying good food and fellowship,
some of those attending practiced their mobility skills by walking along the
river and around town. A special feature of the day was an introduction to
string ball, a version of baseball that can be played by the blind.

In lieu of a regular chapter meeting in July, other recreational events were
scheduled to keep chapter members active and interested. On July 14, chapter
members rode The Loop, a special bus that goes around the Quad Cities in the
evening. The bus travels on the Illinois and Iowa sides of the river and
stops in areas that feature restaurants, lounges, gambling boats, and more.
In late July the chapter had a swim party topped off with pizza, thanks to
the hospitality of Russ and Lois Montgomery.

The Blackhawk Chapter hosted a membership reception on August 6 at the Rock
Island Holiday Inn, the site of our 2011 NFBI Convention. The chapter plans
to make the general public aware of this opportunity to get to know about
the NFB and the Blackhawk Chapter.

The Blackhawk Chapter holds its regular meetings on the second Saturday of
each month at 1:30 P.M. Our meeting place is the South Moline Township
Center, located at 637-17th Avenue, East Moline. We are the blind speaking
for the blind, and we are changing what it means to be blind in the Quad
Cities and northwestern Illinois.

FOUR RIVERS CHAPTER NEWS

by Annette Grove

On Tuesday, November 1, the Four Rivers Chapter will sponsor a Senior Source
event for older people living with vision loss. The event will be held at
the main offices of the St. Clair County Office on Aging. Members have been
busy developing relationships with significant people in the community in
preparation for this major event. Thus far, sponsors include Lions Clubs,
social sororities, Mind's Eye, and DRS Bureau of Blind Services. We plan to
approach several corporate sponsors as well. We also welcome assistance and
support from all NFBI members who are interested in serving the senior
blind, especially those of you who are savvy in terms of appropriate
technology and other aids for people who are experiencing vision loss. For
more information or to volunteer for the event, please contact Alma Hinkle
at (618) 234-5598 or ahinkle33 at gmail.com.

Our chapter requests prayers and warm thoughts for three of our members who
have been experiencing significant health issues. Paulette Buetner, Bernard
Stelzer, and Tony Torregrossa will appreciate your support. The chapter
looks forward to their recovery and return to active duty.

CONVENTION HOTEL PREVIEW

by Denise Avant

On the weekend of October 7-9, 2011, the National Federation of the Blind of
Illinois will hold its convention at the Rock Island Holiday Inn. The
address of the hotel is 2617 17th Street, Rock Island, Illinois. The hotel
is familiar to many of us, as this is our fourth convention here. We last
met at this hotel in 2007. Whether you are a first-time attendee or a
veteran who would like to refresh your memory, here is a brief description
of the hotel layout.

The hotel stands on the northwest corner of 17th Street and Third Avenue,
with 17th Street running north and south and 3rd Avenue running east and
west along the front of the building. As you enter the front door of the
hotel, the elevators will be directly across from you. Stairs in the middle
of the hotel lobby lead to the second floor. On Friday afternoon, there will
be tables for information and Newsline in the lobby.

>From the front door, if you turn slightly left, you will find the check-in
desk along the left wall. Once you have checked in, turn right and walk to
the end of the desk. You will be in front of the elevators.

To the right of the elevators is a long carpeted hallway. Before you enter
this hallway, you will find on the right a coffee room, followed by an ATM,
and then a women's bathroom. As you proceed through a set of doors, a men's
bathroom will be on the right.

To get to Bennigan’s Restaurant, walk down the carpeted hallway, pass
through a door, make a right, and continue straight down an uncarpeted hall.
Make a left, and you will be at Bennigan's. Across from Bennigan's are men's
and women's bathrooms.

All convention meetings will take place on the second floor of the hotel.
Once you get off the elevator on the second floor, you will be directly
across from the stairs. The staircase is in a square in the middle of the
floor. As you get off the elevator, make a left. If you make a 180-degree
turn, you will be at Sicily Sacks, our Hospitality Room. If you get off the
elevator, turn left, and continue straight down the hallway, you will find
another set of bathrooms. To reach the Fitness Center, continue down this
hallway, make another left, and keep walking. There are treadmills, bikes,
and a Stair Master in the Fitness Center. If you keep going straight rather
than making a left into the Fitness Center, you will come to an indoor pool.
You can walk around the pool, which is rectangular. As you walk you will
come to sliding glass doors that lead onto the balcony.

To reach our meeting rooms, get off the elevators, walk 8-10 feet to the
left, and then turn right. As you go down this hallway, you will find the
Barcelona and Nice Rooms on the left, followed by men’s and women’s
bathrooms. Genoa is at the end of the hallway. On the right at the end of
the hallway is Florence. There is also another door leading out to the
balcony.  Florence is the room where our General Sessions will be held, as
well as the meeting of the Resolutions Committee, IABS Idol, the Student
Lunch, and a Friday-afternoon seminar. Barcelona will be used for a seminar
on Friday afternoon and for Kids Camp on Saturday. The Significant Others
meeting will take place in Nice.

If you turn right when you get off the elevators on the second floor, the
registration area will be off to the right. Venice will be the first room
after you turn right off the elevators. This is the room where the Parents
and Student Breakfasts are being held. Tuscany, the room where the Parent
Lunch and Teen Scene will take place, is straight across from the elevators.

A dog relief area has been designated just outside the hotel. To get to this
area, go out the main door and make an immediate left. Walk to 17th Street
and make a right. Cross the driveway, which is the entrance to the hotel.
There you will find some mulch, which runs from the driveway entrance to the
corner of 17th Street and Third Avenue.

Have a great convention, everyone!

NFBI CALENDAR--CALENDAR SEPTEMBER--OCTOBER

September

10-11:00 AM--1:00 PM, Four Rivers Chapter Meeting, Belleville Public Library

10--1:00 PM-4:00 PM, Chicago Chapter Meeting, 226, S. Wabash, Chicago,
Illinois

10--1:30 PM-3:30 PM, Blackhawk Chapter Meeting, East Moline Township Center,
637-17th Avenue, East Moline

17--4:00 PM-8:00 PM, Oktoberfest, home of Debbie & Dick Stein, 5817 N. Nina,
Chicago, Illinois

October

1-10:00 AM--1:00 PM, Heartland Chapter Meeting, Bourbonnais Public Library,
250 W. John Casey Rd, Bourbonnais, Illinois

6--7:00 AM-10:00 PM, NFBI State Convention, Rock Island Holiday Inn, Rock
Island, Illinois

7--9:00 AM-10:00 PM, State Convention

8--7:00 AM-11:00 PM, State Convention

8--11:00 AM-1:00 PM, Four Rivers Chapter Meeting, Belleville Public Library

9--7:00 AM-1:00 PM, State Convention

15-1:00--3:00 PM, Chicago Chapter Meeting, Exchequer Pub, 226 S. Wabash,
Chicago, Illinois

15-1:30 PM-3:30 PM, Blackhawk Chapter Meeting, East Moline Township Center,
637-17th Avenue, East Moline

24-7L00--8:00 PM, NFBI Membership Committee Meeting via teleconference,
218.936.1200, code 6362 (MEMB)

November

1-8:30--11:30 AM, Managing Vision Loss Senior Fair, St. Clair county Office
on Aging Psop Center 201 N. Church str. Bellville

5-10:00 AM--1:00 PM, Heartland Chapter Meeting, Bourbonnais Public Library,
250 W. John Casey Rd, Bourbonnais, Illinois

5-5:00--9:00 PM, Chicago Chapter Games Night, Exchequer Pub, 226 S. Wabash,
Chicago

11 & 12-All Day, Blackhawk chapter Younkers Community days

12--11:00 AM-1:00 PM, Four Rivers Chapter, Belleville Public Library

12-1:00--3:00 PM, Chicago Chapter Meeting, Exchequer Pub, 226 S. Wabash,
Chicago, IL

December

3-11:30 AM--1:30 PM, Heartland Christmas Party, TBA

6-7:00--8:00 PM, Chicago Chapter Fundraising Meeting, via teleconference,
218.936.1200 code 34442246 (CHICAGO)

10--Blackhawk Christmas Party, details TBA

10-12:00-4:00 PM, Chicago Chapter Meeting and Annual Christmas Auction,
Exchequer Pub, 226 S. Wabash, Chicago, IL

10-2:00--4:00 PM, Belleville Christmas Party, Open House at the home Annette
Grove, 4 Shady Lane, Belleville, RSVP by December 9, 618-235-3330

Robert Leslie Newman

President, Omaha Chapter NFB

President, NFB Writers' Division

Division Website