[Nfb-editors] South Carolina Newsletter- The Palmetto Blind

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Wed May 30 03:46:41 UTC 2012

(Note: Boy and I thought I had run down all of our affiliate newsletters!
Enjoy this issue; I've signed up to receive it.)

The Palmetto Blind

The voice of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

WINTER 2011

Web page:   <http://www.nfbsc.net/> http://www.nfbsc.net

E-mail:  nfbsc at sc.rr.com

            The PALMETTO BLIND, published quarterly in large print, cassette
tape and Braille by the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina.
Donald C. Capps, Editor.

            The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina is
chartered under the laws of the state of South Carolina to promote the
spiritual, social and economic well-being of all blind South Carolinians.
The state organization is an affiliate of the nation's oldest and largest
organization of the blind--the National Federation of the Blind.

            The PALMETTO BLIND is the voice of the National Federation of
the Blind of South Carolina and is available free of charge to any blind
individual or member in large print, Braille or cassette.  Other subscribers
are encouraged.  If readers desire to do so, donations to cover the annual
subscription cost of $10.00 per year may be made payable to the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina and sent to:

            David Houck, Treasurer

            National Federation of the Blind of SC

            119 S. Kilbourne Rd.

            Columbia, SC 29205

            Readers receiving the cassette edition of the PALMETTO BLIND are
requested to handle the tapes with care, returning them promptly for the
benefit of other readers.  In the event that you receive a bad tape, before
returning it, please enclose a note or attach a rubber band around the
cassette tape to prevent further circulation.  Braille or large print copies
may be retained for personal libraries.

            If you or a friend would like to remember the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina (also known as the SC Aurora Club
of the Blind, Inc.) in your will, you can do so by employing the following
language:  "I give, devise, and bequeath unto the National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina (aka SC Aurora Club of the Blind, Inc.), a
non-profit organization, the sum of $________________ (or "_______________
percent of my ___________estate" or "the following stocks and
bonds:____________") to be used for its worthy purposes on behalf of blind
persons and to be held and administered by the direction of its Executive
Committee and Board of Directors."

Table of Contents

Dedicated to God

Roundup of the 2010 Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of
South Carolina

The NFB of SC Convention Adopts Resolutions

>From the President's Desk  By Parnell Diggs

Media Coverage of Termination of Commission for the Blind's Radio Reading
Service

A Light to Others: Conway Man an Inspiration

Christmas at Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind

Parnell & Jordan  By Parnell Diggs

State Library Staff Member Named Outstanding Librarian

SC Plans to Save Welcome Centers Back to Square One

Adventures of a Senior Camper  By:  Linda I. Jenkins

Anderson Comes to Walk   By Carey Burris

>From the Editor's Desk  By Donald C. Capps

Final Thought

Dedicated to God

Caption:  First groundbreaking expansion of the Federation Center of the
Blind  Left to Right:  Front Row - Joe Edens, Sr. and Donald C. Capps.  Back
Row - David Baker, Mrs. Hadwin, Maxine Bowles, a bystander, Dr. Fred
Crawford, Ms. Nellie Blocker, Hazel Tucker, Marshall Tucker, and Mary Young.
1970

Caption:  Left to Right:  Donald Capps, Joe Edens, Sr., Suzanne Bridges,
Glenn Geddings,  and David Baker participate in groundbreaking ceremony for
second addition to the Federation Center of the Blind.  1978

            "Dedicated to God and the men and women who made these
facilities possible.  Their generosity and work served as an example of
man's good deeds and as an inspiration for all people - 1961."  The
foregoing plaque is located to the right of the double doors leading into
the interior of the Federation Center of the Blind.  The beautiful words
appearing on the 1961 plaque represent the high principles and ideals of the
mission of the Center from its beginning.  With the arrival of January 2011
the Federation Center of the Blind contemplates a well thought out 50th
anniversary celebration which will incorporate things from "yesteryear"  and
plans for a half century program of service to the blind.

            The beautiful movement had its beginning in the late 1950's when
a $300 fund was generated by the Columbia Chapter's annual barbecue was
established to carry out the initiation of the Center project.  Federation
officials contacted the late Sen. Hyman Rubin, meeting with him in his
lovely home.  Sen. Rubin was most receptive and gracious as the Center
project was carefully described.  At the time of this first visit with Sen.
Rubin, he was still a member of the Columbia City Council serving as Mayor
Pro Tem.  Not everyone on City Council agreed in giving land to the blind
for the erection of a much needed educational and recreational Center.
Because of Sen. Rubin's prominence and great respect shown to him by his
colleagues, he was successful in having land located on the corner of S.
Kilbourne Road and Yale Avenue given to the blind for the purpose of
erecting a Center.  Thus, the first hurdle of securing land enabled the
federation to commence with contacts with a prominent architectural firm
which turned out to be Lyle, Bissett, Carlyle and Wolfe.  This architectural
firm was perhaps the most prominent 50 years ago and served our purpose
well.  The kickoff, under the direction of the late David Baker, occurred in
late September 1960 with a luncheon held in a theatre type restaurant owned
by the late Hon. Lester Bates, Sr.  Several prominent businessmen had been
recruited and joined hands with Mr. David Baker, participating in the
September 1960 campaign's beginning.  These included Sen. Hyman Rubin, Mr.
Joe Edens, Sr., Mr. Allan Mustard, Mr. Bob Hudson, Mr. Moody McElveen, Bobby
Huguly and many more.  Remember, this campaign had its beginning 50 years
ago, during which time President John F. Kennedy was in office.  The goal to
acquire sufficient funds to erect the Center was $25,000.  Of course,
$25,000 was a lot of money 50 years ago when compared to the present time.
Soon the prominent people acquired the $25,000 and the groundbreaking
occurred a few months later in April of 1961.  Many blind people across the
state also joined in the campaign, significantly contributing to the efforts
of their sighted peers.  The dedication of the Center occurred on October15,
1961 and was attended by both blind and sighted citizens from throughout the
Midlands and the state.

            Donald Capps, who had initiated actions in the 1950's to erect
the Center was selected as Chairman of the Board of Directors.  Progress in
this Center was overwhelming and nine years later in 1970, it was necessary
to expand the Center.  Many of the men and women who participated in the
first campaign in 1960 were once again called upon to secure funds to expand
the Center and they answered the call.  By this time nearly ten years had
elapsed since the initial building was erected in 1961 and those individuals
who had questioned the advisability of the blind undertaking a project of
this magnitude finally realized the ability of  intelligent and forward
looking blind South Carolinians who had proved beyond a shadow of a doubt
that they could in fact own and operate their own Center.  Mr. Joe Edens,
Sr. was the Chairman of the project's Steering Committee.  After several
months of securing funds, the expansion was dedicated in May 1971.  At the
banquet held in 1971, Gov. Robert E. McNair was the banquet speaker.  Dr.
Samuel Miller Lawton, the Founder of the Aurora Club of the Blind in 1944,
now operating as the Federation of the Blind, also made meaningful comments
at this important banquet.  The Center continued to grow in service to the
state's blind.

            Meanwhile an Advisory Board, established in 1962, to provide
meaningful assistance to the blind, is still continuing 50 years later.  The
Center also continued to grow and eight years later plans were undertaken
for the second expansion being held in 1978.  The groundbreaking ceremony
for this second expansion occurred in May of 1978.  The groundbreaking
ceremony participants included Donald Capps, Joe Edens, Sr., Suzanne
Bridges-Mitchell, Glenn Geddings, and David Baker.  Thus, the second edition
of the Federation Center was now underway.  In November 1979 the second
expansion program dedication took place.  At the banquet Mr. Joe Edens, Sr.
was the Master of Ceremonies and proceeded to dedicate the second expansion
to Donald Capps which included a plaque as follows, "Donald Capps Fellowship
Hall - Named in honor and recognition of Donald Capps as Founder and
dedicated leader in the growth and progress of the Federation Center of the
Blind,  Presented by the Advisory Board - October 1979."

            Twenty-two years have now elapsed since the 1979 dedication.
Many successful events have taken place in this Center for more than a
score.  Suzanne Bridges-Mitchell was employed on a part time basis in 1978
and contributed a great deal to the growth and well being of the Center.
David Houck was employed in April of 1983 as Executive Director and
continues to excel in this role.  For a number of years the Federation
Center of the Blind has operated a Computer Lab, enabling blind persons to
become proficient in computer technology.  Additionally, there is up-to-date
Braille equipment utilized in the offices, enabling the staff to produce
thousands of letters, reports, brochures, magazines and a myriad of other
items.  Fifty years later in 2011, the Federation Center of the Blind enters
a second half century that will uplift the state's blind in years to come.
This article will serve you as it covers in some detail the different eras
during which time hundreds of blind persons have benefitted.  As we
contemplate a specific occasion or event during 2011 in which an outstanding
gala occasion will take place, making everyone proud to have been associated
with the Center for a half century, enriching their lives and providing the
basis for even further achievements by the blind.

Roundup of the 2010 Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of
South Carolina

Caption:  NFB President, Dr. Marc Maurer

Caption:  SCCB Commissioner Jim Kirby

Caption:  SCSDB President Maggie Park

Caption: NFB of SC President, Parnell Diggs

Caption:  Sen. Vincent Sheheen

Caption:  2010 NFB of SC Scholarship Class

            The 54th annual convention of the National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina was held in the state's capital city of Columbia the
weekend of August 13, 14 and 15, 2010.  It was good to have the state
convention held here in Columbia inasmuch as the convention had been
occurring in the Upstate for several years.  Under any circumstances, the
NFB of SC has been holding state conventions for half a century.  The
Marriott Hotel in Columbia was the host for the convention which turned out
to be an excellent facility.  It is now commonplace for several
federationists from across the state to arrive one day early, Thursday,
before the convention officially gets underway on Friday.  This year was no
exception.  The NFB of SC convention could contain the ingredients of
complete success.  There was a good turnout with excellent programs and
contagious enthusiasm.

            On Friday, August 13, for those members who had already
pre-registered, a number of delegates lined up for registration on Friday
afternoon beginning at 1:00 p.m.  Darlene Houck was Chairperson of the
Registration Committee.   The exhibits were extensive and its Chairman was
David Houck.  For many years Lenora Robertson, Second Vice President of the
NFB of SC has served as Chairperson of the Door Prize Committee and this
year was no exception.  There was a drop in held between 2:30 p.m. and 4:30
p.m. for delegates to enjoy refreshments and fellowship.  Friday afternoon
and evening were busy throughout the occasion.  At 6:00 p.m., the Computer
Science and Technology Division, whose President is Steve Cook, held their
meeting.  Additionally, the Resolutions Committee, Chaired by Cali Sandel,
had a meeting at 6:00 p.m.  There were numerous committees including the
6:30 p.m. White Cane Safety Day Walk A Thon Committee, Chaired by Carey
Burris.  The Blind Merchants Division, Chaired by Joe Urbanek, was held at
7:00 p.m.  A meeting of the South Carolina Organization of Blind Students
with Cali Sandel as President, held their meeting beginning at 7:00 p.m.
The Ellen Beach Mack Home Award Committee was held at 7:15 p.m.   Bob Bell
is Chairman of this committee.  For many years the annual Friday evening
Reception which had begun at 7:00 p.m. was recently changed and now has a
starting time of 8:00 p.m.  This has resulted in committees having the
opportunity of meeting earlier and not to have this interfere with their
attendance at this highlight Reception.  This year's Reception was
magnificent and consisted of a full course chicken dinner.  More than 250
persons attended the Friday evening Reception.  Our thanks to the Columbia
Chapter sponsoring the Reception as well as other occasions during the
convention.  Our thanks to the Blind Merchants Division which provided
Continental Breakfasts both Saturday morning and Sunday morning.  Music at
the Friday evening dinner was spectacular as longtime disk jockey Woody
Windham was in charge if the evening's music and most will agree that his
choices were excellent with everyone enjoying the different music.  Isaiah
Nelson, a longtime member of the Columbia Chapter, was in charge of
preparing the food and has always done an excellent job.  Our super
volunteer, Gloria Washington of the Telephone Pioneers, was in charge of
serving the food to the large crowd.  Several federationists proved to be
good performers.  The Halloween performance at the Friday evening dinner was
very entertaining to everyone.  There were colorful Halloween costumes fit
for a Halloween Queen or a Halloween King but Hazel Arms of our Greenville
Chapter proved to be the best among our talented group.  She received
perfect "tens" for her outstanding costume.  Frank Coppel, First Vice
President of the NFB of SC was the convention Chairman and he certainly
carried out his responsibilities in an enviable manner.

            The first item on the agenda for Saturday morning, August 14 was
the Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind Board Breakfast.
While Dr. Marc Maurer arrived Friday evening, August 13, he was also present
at the breakfast meeting and made some comments which featured admiration
for the NFB of SC.  Donald Capps is Chairman of the Board of Directors of
RBRCCB.

            The first business session of the convention officially got
underway at 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning.  President Parnell Diggs gaveled the
convention to order at 9:00 a.m. sharp and this was followed by an
invocation given by Rev. Tommy Ingle of our Greenville Chapter.  Shortly
thereafter there was welcoming and opening ceremonies including an official
welcome by Hon. Sam Davis, member of City Council.  At about 9:10 a.m. David
Houck, President of the Columbia Chapter extended greetings to the
convention.  One of the newest members of the NFB of SC, Linda Dizzly,
President of our Lee County Chapter gave the response.  This was followed by
brief convention arrangements and announcements.  Dr. Marc Maurer, President
of the NFB, who had arrived on Friday attending the Friday evening dinner
and various committees, was introduced by President Diggs for the National
Report.  The NFB of SC is proud to have had Dr. Maurer at previous state
conventions and he is thoroughly appreciated and admired.  At the 2010
convention he discussed in some detail that the automobile being designed to
accommodate a blind driver was well underway.  His entire report was most
informative.  Traditionally, it is the practice of the NFB of SC to invite
the head of any state agency administering programs for the blind.  In this
regard Commissioner Jim Kirby of the Commission for the Blind was on hand
for his report to the convention.  Commissioner Kirby, who is likeable,
extended warm greetings on behalf of the agency and acknowledged the success
of the Commission by the NFB of SC.  Mrs. Maggie Park, President of the SC
School for the Deaf and the Blind addressed the convention Saturday morning.
To assure the delegates that the School was doing everything it could to
carry out its mandate to serve the blind, she did state that the state's
deplorable financial status at this time is a setback to the work of the
School.  She also reported that Ed Bible, who is a member of the Board of
Directors of the NFB of SC, had been appointed to the Board of Commissioners
of the School.  The NFB of SC for a long time has worked vigorously to
improve the education of the blind and visually impaired.  Dr. Tina
Herzberg, PhD, Assistant Professor, Director of Special Education - Visual
Impairment Program, USC Upstate, School of Education, HEC, addressed the
convention.  This important university has the responsibility of educating
vision teachers to teach blind children Braille and other needed blindness
skills.  She was well received.  Liz Lewis, Scholarship Committee
Chairperson, had all of the scholarship class for 2010 come to the platform
where she could introduce them.  This agenda item is one of the most
important activities of the convention.  To conclude the morning's most
interesting agenda items, Parnell Diggs, President of the NFB of SC gave his
excellent Presidential Report.  (Editor's Note:  President Diggs'
Presidential Report was contained in the Fall issue of the Palmetto Blind.)
This important report concluded the morning's agenda and was followed by a
12:30 p.m. Luncheon.

              The luncheon invocation was given by David Houck.  The keynote
luncheon speaker was Hon. Vincent Sheheen, Democratic Nominee for the
Governor of South Carolina.  Senator Sheheen discussed the plight of the
financial condition of the state among other things.  He discussed the
importance of all South Carolinians including the blind to have a job
earning an income compatible with the economics of the state's population.
Sen. Sheheen was impressed with the large audience.

            The afternoon session featured an excellent report by Pamela
Davenport, Director of Talking Book Services.  Always a big hit with the NFB
of SC convention, Ms. Davenport concurred with the financial status of the
Library which does not prevent it from carrying out its mandate to the blind
but was inadequate for growth in the latest technological needs of the
agency.  The annual report on Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of
the Blind was given by its Chairman, Donald Capps.  He told the delegates
that RBRCCB had had a good year notwithstanding the grounds keeping and
cleaning of the five facilities.  Extra personnel had to be called in to
handle all issues pertaining to the swimming pool, so vital to children and
others who enjoy swimming.  Thom Spittle, Resident Manager of RBRCCB, is in
charge of the aforementioned responsibilities.  Frank Coppel, Director of
Senior Camp gave a very positive report on the two weeks thoroughly enjoyed
by the senior blind.  Following the death of Sheila Compton, Vicki Black was
appointed by Mr. Capps to handle the Children's Camp.  This year Vicki
reported that there would be only one week of Children's Camp but it's my
understanding she plans to have two weeks beginning in 2011.  Thom Spittle
reported to the convention that there are many duties associated with the
day-to-day operation of RBRCCB but that he enjoyed his work.  So that the
statewide membership will be informed by the major programs administered, a
full report was given by Frank Coppel, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of
the Federation Center of the Blind.  There also was a report by David Houck
the Executive Director of the Federation Center of the Blind.  Both Frank
and David told the convention that it had been a difficult year because of
the economic downturn.  There was progress despite the financial problems of
most private, non-profit organizations.  They encouraged the statewide
membership to assist in the operation of the Federation Center of the Blind,
making contributions whenever possible including living memorial
contributions.  The Federation Center handles a tremendous volume of
material which is disseminated throughout the state.  Additionally, Vicki
Black heads up the training of blind individuals in the Center's Computer
Lab.  The convention was pleased to hear from Ivan Weich of the NFB of the
state of Washington who spoke on the subject, "There's More to Writing Than
You Think."  There were other out of state speakers including Mike Tindall
whose subject was, "What's New at Humanware."  The convention was then heard
from by Mr. O. J. Papucci.  Mr. Papucci is Regional Transportation
Coordinator, CCTM, Santee-Lynches Regional Council of Governments.  Mr.
Papucci spoke on the subject, "Better Transportation Leads to Greater
Opportunity for the Blind."  Unquestionably, transportation difficulties
prove a deterrent to success by blind persons and the convention was pleased
to have Mr. Papucci to address this subject.  This item was followed by,
"Why I am a Federationist" and the convention was treated to personal and
very touching accounts of how Cali Sandel, Levern Wilson, Ed Bible and Debra
Canty each dealt with their blindness and overcame the obstacles which
blindness presents.  All four of these presenters serve on the Board of
Directors of the NFB of SC.  Federation work done by local chapters and
divisions is extremely important.  Too infrequently, the state office does
not receive information from various chapters reporting on a particular
issue or project successfully handled by the chapter.  Thus, for many years
an important part of the convention agenda is the report of chapters and
divisions across the state.  The last agenda item on the afternoon's program
was, "Orlando, Here We Come!"  The Chairman of the Orlando Bus Fund is Dale
Wolthoff.  It is vital that the statewide membership participate in the
selling of tickets to raise necessary funds to charter possibly as many as
three busses to attend the Orlando Convention next July.  Thus bus tickets
were subsequently distributed.  It is hoped this will be a record breaking
sale.  At the January 8, 2011 Statewide Seminar a full report will be given
of the sale of tickets and it is hoped that this will be a banner year.

            The Saturday evening Banquet is certainly the most prestigious
and has the greatest highlight of any program of the entire convention.
This year was no exception as the Banquet speaker was our most beloved
national President, Dr. Marc Maurer.  Dr. Maurer's presentation as always
was extremely interesting and was thoroughly enjoyed by the large Banquet
audience.  Dorothy Barksdale opened the evening Banquet with the invocation.
Following Dr. Maurer's outstanding speech, there were several important
presentations.  The NFB of SC and the Federation Center of the Blind have
experienced financial difficulty because of the poor economy.  Following the
well received comments of Dr. Maurer, President Diggs announced that the NFB
of SC and the Federation Center of the Blind needed to generate funds to
carry out the day to day operation of the NFB of SC and the Federation
Center of the Blind.  Knowing that the NFB of SC and the Federation Center
of the Blind had experienced financial difficulty throughout the year, when
asked for contributions from the membership, there was an outpouring of
financial support by most everyone in the audience and by those seated at
the head table.  This might have been especially surprising except the
statewide membership had done this in the past with success.  The amount of
$16,400 was generously given on this historic occasion and was extremely
appreciated by everyone connected with the ongoing operation of the NFB of
SC and the Center.  Liz Lewis presented scholarships to all of the
scholarship winners who include the following:   Chris Jeter received the
$1,000 Spartanburg Chapter Scholarship and he is attending Limestone
College, majoring in Internet Management and Web Page Design.  Molik Beckett
received the $500 Belvedere Chapter Scholarship and $250 from the Metro
Scholarship and is attending USC Upstate.  Takala Nelson received the $500
Columbia Chapter Scholarship and the $250 Computer Science and Technology
Division Scholarship and she is attending Gardner Webb University, majoring
in Theater.  Heather Edwards received the $500 Rock Hill Chapter Scholarship
and the $250 Easley Chapter Scholarship and she is attending Coastal
Carolina University, majoring in Psychology.  Rashad Morgan received the
$500 Anderson Chapter Scholarship and the $500 Hornsby Scholarship and he is
attending USC Upstate, majoring in Psychology.  Clifton Reaves received the
$1,000 Dr. Sheila Breitweiser Scholarship and is attending the USC Graduate
Program, majoring in Special Education focusing on its Visual Impairment
Program.  Frank Coppel presented the Federation Center of the Blind's $550
Bernard H. Kline Memorial Scholarship to Avita Tate and he also added to it
with an additional $300 Gail Coppel Memorial Scholarship as she is attending
USC Upstate, majoring in Psychology.  Other awards presented included Tracy
Bundy receiving the Educator of the Year Award, BlueCross BlueShield of
South Carolina receiving the Employer of the Year Award, Debra Canty
receiving the Ellen Beach Mack Home Award, Catherine Williams receiving the
Associate Member of the Year Award, Ed Bible receiving the Donald C. Capps
Award and Elizabeth McKown receiving the Distinguished Service Award.   The
Nominating Committee met immediately following the Banquet.

            The Board of Directors of the NFB of SC attended a 7:00 a.m.
breakfast the Sunday morning of the convention.  Once again, the NFB of SC
was pleased to have Dr. and Mrs. Marc Maurer in attendance.  It has been the
long standing practice of the NFB of SC to begin the Sunday morning session
by having a devotional and memorial service.  Marty McKenzie, President of
the Clarendon County Chapter of the NFB of SC and member of the Board of
Directors of the NFB of SC, traditionally handles this important agenda item
and there was no exception this year.  It has also become a standard to have
everyone sing, "His Eye is on the Sparrow."  Continuing from Saturday, there
were chapter and division reports which followed the devotional.  Cali
Sandel, President of the Student Division is also Chairperson of the
Resolutions Committee and presented resolutions which were adopted by the
convention.  The financial reports of the NFB of SC and Rocky Bottom Retreat
and Conference Center of the Blind were given by Treasurer David Houck with
both reports being received and adopted by the convention.  At all NFB of SC
conventions there is an agenda item, "Doing Our Fair Share - Imagination
Fund - PAC - SUN."   All of these national initiatives are taken seriously
by the NFB of SC and this year is no exception.  The state membership
purchased 136 $10 SUN Shares.  The convention amended the state
constitution, providing for the annual state dues for each individual to pay
annual dues of $10 each, rather than the $5 dues which had not changed in
many years.  The last agenda item was the election of NFB of SC board
members.  There was no change in officers and board members at the 2010
convention with the exception of Janice Smith representing the 4th
Congressional District who wished not to run this year, causing her position
to be vacant which was filled by Mr. JW Smith of Greenville.  The convention
had re-elected state officers as well as state board members and while
Janice Smith will be missed, undoubtedly Mr. JW Smith will be an excellent
replacement.  The convention had now been almost in continuous activity
beginning Thursday night, August 12 until nearly noontime Sunday, August 15.
Some felt fatigued but no one left the convention without satisfaction and
appreciation of our excellent NFB of SC.

The NFB of SC Convention Adopts Resolutions

(Editor's Note:  Resolution 2010-01 was published in the Fall 2010 edition
of the Palmetto Blind)

Resolution 2010-02

            Whereas there is a seventy-four percent rate of unemployment or
underemployment among the employable blind; and,

            Whereas the Business Enterprise Program has been the most
successful employment initiative for blind South Carolinians in our state's
history; and,

            Whereas the South Carolina Commission for the Blind is the State
Licensing Agency for the Business Enterprise Program in this state; and,

            Whereas the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
is the oldest and largest consumer organization of the blind in the state
and represents the interests of the state's blind community; and,

            Whereas most of the blind licensed vendors in the state are
active members of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina;
and,

            Whereas the South Carolina Commission for the Blind and the
blind of the state have an interest in expanding employment opportunities
for blind South Carolinians;

            Now, therefore, be it resolved by the National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina in Convention assembled in the City of Columbia on
this 15th day of August, 2010, that the South Carolina Commission for the
Blind will work in partnership with this organization to explore all
available vending opportunities on public properties of this state,
including but not limited to county jails; and,

            Be it further resolved that the Commission for the Blind will
use all means at its disposal to carry out the law of the state granting
priority to blind licensed vendors to operate vending locations where
permitted by state law.

Resolution 2010-03

            Whereas the South Carolina State Library Division of Talking
Book Services has the responsibility of providing access to printed
materials for six thousand blind and print disabled citizens in the state;
and,

            Whereas NFB NewslineR provides blind and print disabled citizens
with access to over three hundred of the nation's leading newspapers,
nationally distributed magazines, television schedules and more; and,

            Whereas ninety-five percent of citizens living in the United
States of America today have access to NFB NewslineR; and,

            Whereas NFB NewslineR is no longer available in South Carolina;
and,

            Whereas NFB NewslineR can be provided to blind and print
disabled South Carolinians at a cost of approximately $40,000 per year; and,

            Whereas, Talking Book Services has a donation fund of
approximately $250,000 which has not been encumbered, nor are there any
plans currently to use these funds for any specific purpose;

            Now, be it resolved by the National Federation of the Blind of
South Carolina in Convention Assembled on this 15th day of August, 2010, in
the City of Columbia, that the South Carolina State Library Division of
Talking Book Services will partner with NFB of SC officials to re-establish
NFB NewslineR in this state.

>From the President's Desk

By Parnell Diggs

            As we look ahead to 2011, there are many reasons to be excited
in the NFB of SC.  In addition to the statewide seminar, the beginning of
the state legislative session and the Washington seminar, we have an event
taking place in Daytona which will have tremendous significance in the
shaping of American culture in the time to come.

            The Blind Driver Challenge(TM) will change the way the world
thinks about blindness.  The attention that the Blind Driver Challenge(TM)
will receive will help us to reach more people than ever before with the
programs of the National Federation of the Blind, as our audience will
easily soar into the hundreds of millions.  We will follow the Blind Driver
Challenge(TM) with the Washington seminar and the legislative reception.

            This is a good time to get registered for the chartered buses if
you have not done so already.  The cost of a chartered bus seat for the 2011
convention is $70 round trip.  You can also make your hotel reservations at
the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel by calling 1-866-996-6338.  This year's
convention in Orlando will be a popular destination for Federationists
across America.  I hope that South Carolina will compete for the attendance
banner when we arrive in Orlando this summer.  In the meantime, I look
forward to working with you as we kick off the new year with tremendous
spirit and enthusiasm about all of the things to come in the near future.

Media Coverage of Termination of Commission for the Blind's Radio Reading
Service

(Editors Note:  There was extensive media coverage of the termination of the
Commission's Radio Reading Service.  The NFB of SC will continue to work
cooperatively with other parties in the reinstatement this unique service to
the blind.)

The State Newspaper, Friday, Sep. 24, 2010

Reading program for blind endangered

By CAROLYN CLICK           Since she lost her sight four years ago, Margaret
Gutman has come to rely on a state-run radio reading program for the blind
to provide her with news from the three major South Carolina papers, opinion
pieces from local and national commentators, health and gardening news, and
the occasional offbeat magazine article.

            So when she learned earlier this month that the S.C. Educational
Radio for the Blind, in existence since the 1970s, was set to become another
casualty of the state's economic downturn, she was devastated.
<http://www.thestate.com/2010/09/24/1479999/budget-cuts-will-silence-state.h
tml>
<http://www.thestate.com/2010/09/24/1479999/budget-cuts-will-silence-state.h
tml>
<http://www.thestate.com/2010/09/24/1479999/budget-cuts-will-silence-state.h
tml>
<http://www.thestate.com/2010/09/24/1479999/budget-cuts-will-silence-state.h
tml>

            Programming ends Sept. 30.

            "I just think it is cutting out so much of the outside world,"
said Gutman, 76, who suffers from wet macular degeneration, a chronic eye
disease that causes swift vision loss in the center of a person's field of
vision.

Gutman listens "24/7" to the service, she said, often turning on her special
receiver late at night when she cannot sleep to hear volunteers read from
The State, The (Charleston) Post and Courier and The Greenville News.
Volunteers read local stories, obituaries, op-ed pieces and even the grocery
specials - information the sighted skim quickly and take for granted.

            When you are blind, "You lose your driving privileges . you lose
the ability even to shop, to look at prices on things and to recognize
things in grocery stores," Gutman said Thursday.

            "I just feel they are cutting off a big chunk of my life, my
outside world to some degree."

            Her husband, retired Air Force Maj. Walter Gutman, already has
written the governor to voice his concern at the loss of the programming -
the only service for the blind that focuses on state current events.

            James Kirby, commissioner for the S.C. Commission for the Blind,
said he understands the pain and frustration of the legally blind South
Carolinians who rely on the service, delivered through special receivers
tuned to a dedicated sub channel of ETV.

            About 5,000 blind residents around the state have the loaned
receivers in their homes.

            But as the agency's budget over the past two years was reduced
from $3.9 million to $2.2 million, Kirby said he determined the $120,000
program, run by three staffers with 50 volunteer readers, had to go.

            Kirby said he tried to protect the state-funded radio program,
along with children's and blind prevention services, even as he worked to
make sure there was enough state funding for rehabilitation programs that
receive a significant 80-20 federal dollar match.

            "When we cut state dollars in those programs, we have a double
whammy," said Kirby, who plans to elicit support in the Legislature to
restore the service.

            About four years ago, he noted, Gov. Mark Sanford tried to
eliminate the program, an effort that was turned back.

            "When we start the budget process in January we are going to
seek the restoration of funds," Kirby said.

            That's good news, too, to the 50 volunteers who have contributed
a total of 2,700 hours of reading time over the years and believe the
program, with its emphasis on volunteers, is about as efficient as any in
state government. The local radio programming is supplemented by additional
programming.

            "In the grand scheme of the state budget this is such a minor
amount of money," said Don Caughman, who has been reading newspaper and
magazine articles to his blind listeners for 31 years. "I and other
volunteers over the years have given an awful lot of time to give a service
that didn't cost the state anything. It's a little bit annoying to me that
it gets lumped in with everything else."

            Caughman began volunteering one morning a week before work, then
two. Since his retirement from BellSouth in 2000, he spends three early
mornings inside one of the four sound booths at the Bull Street studio.

            "I try to think about people listening as I talk," Caughman
said. "I try to do it with a certain amount of enthusiasm and proper
enunciation."

            Don Siebert, a retired USC English professor who created a
half-hour show "All About Words" for the blind audience, agrees.

            "It seems like the defenseless are the first cut," said Siebert,
who like other volunteers had to audition to become a reader. "This isn't
the biggest tragedy in the world, obviously, but it is a shame given how
little it costs. It's a symptom of this whole climate of cutting, cutting,
cutting."

            It's still hard for Beth Jones, the radio program's longtime
director, to get her arms around the end of a program that has been as much
a labor of love as a profession.

            Jones, who initially worked in commercial radio, will officially
retire Sept. 30 after 30 years at the commission, 20 as head of the radio
program.

            For those two decades, Jones has risen at 4:45 a.m. each day to
select interesting newspaper and magazine articles, letters to the editor,
local sports tidbits and other writings for her cadre of volunteer readers,
always trying to keep in mind blind listeners like Margaret Gutman who enjoy
hearing a diverse, but familiar, cast of voices.

"I don't know where the people are going to get the information," she said.
They tell me they are really going to feel more isolated now."

            But Jones and her volunteers hold out hope that the "on air"
light won't be turned off permanently, that funding can be procured through
public or private means.

They could use some good news, she said, although with less than a week to
go before the radio programming ends, "it would have to be a big miracle."

*****

Budget cuts force panel to pull plug on radio reading program for blind

By LEE G. HEALY, Spartanburg Herald Journal, Friday, October 1, 2010

            The state Commission for the Blind is eliminating its radio
reading program at the end of the month due to budget cuts. Nancy Hines who
developed glaucoma in the early 1990s, listens to the radio at her home in
Woodruff.

            When glaucoma took Nancy Hines' sight nearly 20 years ago, the
Woodruff resident began relying on the state's radio reading program for the
headline news and a daily dose of the "Dear Abby" advice column. That
programming ends today, and Hines isn't sure what she'll do to get
day-to-day information.

            The South Carolina Commission for the Blind officials decided to
eliminate the agency's free radio reading program after absorbing a 24
percent budget cut that brought the total operating budget to about $2.2
million. Ending the radio service will save the commission a little more
than $130,000, spokeswoman Jacqueline Keisler said.

            The South Carolina Educational Radio for the Blind (SCERB) has
provided more than 5,000 radio receivers to the state's blind population.
The commercial- free station, which operates on a subchannel of South
Carolina Educational Television, broadcasts newspapers, magazines, books and
other information 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The 35-year-old station
is operated by a staff of three. Special radio receivers provided free of
charge to the blind pick up the frequency, which is broadcast from Columbia.

            Hines has been listening to the program since 1991.

            She knows what time to tune in each day for the obituaries, for
local news, or to hear the latest best seller.

            "That is a necessary program because we can't read the paper,"
Hines said. "Sometimes there are things on there you aren't going to hear
anywhere else. It's good for those especially who aren't able to get out and
go to places. It's a good thing. I hate to see it fall by the wayside."

            Now, Hines said, she'll need to rely on television news for
information. Computer technology allows her access to e-mail, but she
complained that screen readers require more time to use.

*****

Budget Cuts Doom Radio Programming for the Blind

The Sumter Item - Thu Sep 30, 2010.

            IVY MOORE / THE ITEMDebra Canty, president of the Sumter Chapter
of the National Federation for the Blind, works in her home office Thursday
while listening to the last day of broadcasts by Education Radio for the
Blind. State budget cuts caused the director of the S.C. Commission for the
Blind to slash 100 percent of the funding for the programming that has
informed S.C.'s blind population for the past 20 years. Ironically, October
is Meet the Blind and Blind Awareness Month.

            At midnight Thursday, Debra Canty lost a good friend.

            Education Radio for the Blind, to which she has been listening
"almost 24 hours a day" for the past 12 years, signed off the air for an
undetermined period. The noncommercial programming, broadcast on special
radios provided free to about 5,000 blind and sight-impaired South
Carolinians on a subchannel of South Carolina Educational Televison, had
$120,000, or 100 percent of its annual budget, slashed.

            The demise of the service Gov. Mark Sanford tried unsuccessfully
to end four years ago was brought about by more recent state budget
cutbacks. Ironically, today is the start of "Meet the Blind" and "Blind
Awareness Month."

            The loss would be devastating at any time, Canty said.

            "I have been totally blind since 1999, and I started listening
to the radio in 1998," she said, "to keep up with current events and news on
a local, state, national and world level."

            The 55-year-old is president of the Sumter Chapter of the
National Federation for the Blind, which has 77 members, so she knows how
important it is to the area's blind population. Canty lost her vision to
optic neuritis, an inflammation of the optic nerve, which transmits messages
between the eyes and the brain.

            With her radio playing softly in the background, Canty talked
about her blindness.

            When the condition started in 1998, she said, "My vision was
20/20; then it went to 20/30, then 20/200 and then 20/400, which is total
blindness. I just see black."

            Following her loss of vision, Canty said, she went through
"about a year and a half of deep depression." The South Carolina Commission
for the Blind (SCCB)and National Federation for the Blind were of great
service in helping her learn independent living skills, she said. For
example, Canty likes to cook, so her kitchen is very organized; she
remembers exactly where each spice, pan, fork, plate and glass are. She also
memorizes the phone numbers of all her friends and family members, as well
as numerous e-mail addresses. And until today, she had listened avidly to
her special radio.

            Now, she said, "We'll all have to work extra hard to get the
information the radio programming provided."

            While she volunteers and teaches others to use the computer,
Canty said, "everybody doesn't have access to computers and the internet,
and some can't read and write, but they want to keep up."

R.L. Fullard, a member of the Sumter Chapter of NFB, agreed with Canty.

            "I've had my radio for 10 years, and I'm really dependent on it
to keep up with what's going on," he said. "It's very helpful. They (the
almost 50 volunteers) read the newspapers, including sports. I don't know
what I'm going to do now."

            Canty and several other members of the NFB have been writing
letters to the editors of newspapers around the state to help make the
community aware of their loss.

            "We as blind individuals just like to be on the same playing
field as our sighted peers," she said, "and this is very important to us."

            While Canty hopes Education Radio for the Blind will resume
broadcasting in the future, that eventuality is not a given.

            Jackie Kiesler of the SCCB said Thursday that the state budget
cuts were the reason for shutting down the service, but "we hope funding
will be restored." The SCCB plans to submit a funding request in January.
"With the current economic conditions," the programming is not likely to
return before that time, if then, she said.

            "It's a very sad day," Canty said. "I listened to my radio until
4 o'clock this morning. It's almost like losing a loved one: You sit there
waiting for them to pass on."

            She tries to remain optimistic, however.

            "The book they just read on the radio is 'I Believe,'" Canty
said. "It inspires me to believe we will get the radio service back. We
depend so much on the information, and it affects the lives of so many
people."

A Light to Others: Conway Man an Inspiration

(Editor's Note:  The following article on Levern Wilson appeared on November
25, Thanksgiving Day, in the Myrtle Beach Sun News.  Levern is not only a
highly successful chapter President, he is also a very effective member of
the Board of Directors of the NFV of SC.)

Caption:  Levern Wilson, the president of the Conway Chapter of the National
Federation for the Blind, talks about his stuggle with the glacoma that took
his eye sight. Photo by Tom Murray

Blind late in life, he meets issue head-on

By Steve Jones

            CONWAY -- A single tear sneaks out of the corner of Levern
Wilson's right eye and slides stealthily down his cheek, out beyond his dark
glasses. It's not big enough, doesn't have enough juice from the despair, to
escape his cheek and drop onto his shoulder, lingering only as a glistening
trail that many people would never see.

            You don't notice it at first because you're so busy listening to
his words about his latest struggle with his identity, a lifelong challenge,
and the resonance of his deep voice.

"You wonder 'How do they look at me now?'" he says of family, friends and
acquaintances. "I'm the guy that solved the problems."

            Two years ago, Wilson, 68, lost the final spark in a 14-year
campaign against failing eyesight, the last speck of light leaving him
forever.

            He's been through the suicide thing, through the search for a
lifeline and has come to a point where he can bow his head at his
Thanksgiving meal today to talk truly to God about what he's thankful for.

            "I'm thankful for my wife that sticks by my side and my daughter
that drives me around," Wilson says. "I'm thankful for my [National
Federation of the Blind] chapter and that they believe in me so much."

            To appreciate the depth of his words, you need to understand the
soul they're coming from and the history of the voice speaking them.

            Wilson was born in Williamsburg County in 1942 and grew up in a
time when a whole group of people never called him anything but "Boy."

            "Boy, you want something to eat?" he recalls being summoned from
the back door of a house where he had been raking leaves all day. The offer,
which he refused, was for food scraped from the plates of those inside, to
be eaten on the porch. "What's the matter with you boy, ain't you hungry?"

Wilson shared his rural home with four sisters and four brothers, a father
who set the rules and a mother who battled to give him a sense of self
worth.

            He recalls his father telling him that if he ever got in trouble
for defending himself, he would be there to help him. If he was caught
stealing, though, his father told him not to come home.

            He recalls his mother's hands on his shoulders, her eyes boring
into his, telling him he was as good as anybody else, no matter the taunts
they threw at him.

            Back in those days, Wilson says, Williamsburg County "was so
poor a crow would have to carry his own corn."

            The only work he and his siblings could get to help maintain the
family was in agriculture, hard work, and the maximum pay was $3 a day.

            "I knew I could handle more than $3 a day," he says. "I knew I
was worth more than $3 a day."

$1.25/hour in Rochester

            He saved what money he could and when he was 16, he went to the
bus station in Hemingway to get a ticket to a better life. Wilson recalls
studying the schedule on the wall while the man behind the counter badgered
him about what he wanted, where he wanted to go. The man got     tired of
waiting on Wilson and turned to the customer behind him.

            "Rochester," the man said in a deep voice as he handed over his
money, Wilson recalls.

            "Rochester," Wilson then mimicked in as deep a voice as he could
muster.

Two days later, the bus pulled into the station in northwestern New York and
Wilson disembarked into an October chill unlike that in South Carolina. He
had $40 in his pocket.

            He asked a cab driver where the black people lived and got in,
stopping the journey short of his destination because the meter ticked to
$10. He walked the rest of the way to a rooming house and plunked down
another $15 for a week's rent, learning at the same time that a job was
possible if he was waiting outside the car wash on Main Street when it
opened the next morning.

            He rose early and recalls a long, roundabout walk to Main
Street. But he was there by 5 a.m. and was hired at $1.25 an hour to help
wipe down cars after they emerged from the wash.

"I said 'Wow!'" he recalls. "A buck and a quarter an hour!"

            Eventually, he got a job with Eastman Kodak, where he stayed for
30 years, met and married his wife, Jerlynn, started a family and built a
life that defines the American dream.

            He had a motorcycle, he went deep sea fishing, he loved to hunt,
he detailed vans and entered them in competitions. He bought 80 acres with a
cabin where he, his family and friends could share good times and bond.

            The Wilsons raised their children - two sons, four daughters -
the way he was raised. Well-defined rules. Copious love.

Glaucoma scare

            He had a scare from glaucoma, but it was deemed dormant in 1973.

            In 1993, he went to a doctor for help to stop tremors in his
face and paralysis in his arms and legs. The doctor diagnosed him with
Bell's palsy and started a regimen of steroids.

            "Everything's going dark," Wilson recalls telling the doctor
during the treatment. "I need to see an eye doctor."

            Fine, said the physician, but wait until the steroids have run
their course.

            When the eye doctor examined him, Wilson recalls, she became
furious. Wilson didn't have Bell's palsy, she said, he had suffered a
stroke.

            And the physician treating him for the palsy hadn't seen the
glaucoma in Wilson's medical history.

            Steroids will reawaken glaucoma and put it on fast forward.

            Within three months, Wilson had lost the sight in his right eye
and the peripheral vision in his left eye.

            Because of the loss, he had to retire from Eastman Kodak and get
out of a security business he owned with an associate because he could no
longer accurately fire the gun he needed to carry. He had the retirement
income, but lost the $12,000 to $15,000 he made each year in his own
business.

            "I thought it was devastating," Wilson says.

            Sitting around doing nothing, though, was not an option.

            "The measure of a man is that he has got to stand on his own two
feet and make his mark in the world," he says.

            So he bought a one-ton pickup truck and trailer and started
making regular runs to South Carolina, hauling fresh produce and seafood
back north.

            The trips reacquainted him with how much warmer and slower life
was in South Carolina than New York, and he began to talk with Jerlynn about
relocating. A native of Florida, she resisted, partly because of her own
memories but mostly because she worried about leaving friends, a paid-for
home and support systems.

            The sight in his left eye continued to deteriorate. Half of it
was gone by 1997. By the time the Wilsons moved into their home on the golf
course near Conway in 1999, he could no longer drive. He could still read
some, watch a bit of television, but his sight kept sliding.

Gone for good

            He was told at an eye appointment in 2007 that the nerves to his
eyes were so damaged that there was no chance he would keep any vision. No
hope.

            He estimates he had 3 percent of his sight left at that time. He
remembers it shrank even more, to a point where he had only what he
describes as laser vision. If you were facing him head-on, he could see you.
If you moved at all, you were gone.

            "All I had to do was cough, sneeze, and everything went black,"
he says of episodes that began to plague him.

            Then, one day in 2008, there was no recovery.

            "I panicked," he said. "I used to wake up at night tearing at my
face. It was like you had a mask on."

            Wilson joined the Conway chapter of the National Federation of
the Blind before he was totally blind. He got more serious with the
organization after the 2007 diagnosis and now says his involvement with the
organization played a big part in saving his life.

            It wasn't an easy journey and the chapter work wasn't his only
lifeline.

            "My thought was what do I have to live for now?" he says.
"Honest to God, I wanted to cash out."

            Anger enveloped him like a cold blanket, preventing any human
warmth from entering his dark new world. He remembers the day he sat
hopeless on his bed with a .357 caliber pistol in his lap. He called his
pastor, who stopped him from raising the gun and pulling the trigger. He
began to accept help from Jerlynn, who he says is 150 percent of the reason
for him making it this far "in a land I've never walked before."

            He became president of the Conway chapter, increased membership
to 20, took the post as Area One director for the state chapter and was
named to head its fundraising committee.

            He's proud of all that. But still, he says, each day is a
challenge, a fight between the good memories of the good past and the
intimidating fears of the unknown future.

            "This is the only thing I can't whip," he says. "I wrassle with
it every day. It's a struggle every day."

            He wants to be able to walk out of his house and look around.
Again.

Jerlynn wants him to get out more, spread his light further than the
Federation. But he thinks his lack of formal education limits what others
will see if he offers himself.

The Fixer

            "He's one of the most impressive people I've met in recent
memory," says Conway City Administrator Bill Graham.

            David Houck, director of the S.C. Federation of the Blind, who's
been legally blind since he was 16, says Wilson's future is limited only by
what he will try to do.

            Jerlynn Wilson still thinks of her husband as The Fixer, as she
always has.

Wilson speaks with pride of his recent presentation before the Conway City
Council, where he successfully sought money to help send chapter members to
a national convention in Florida.

He impressed council members so much that even in a very tight budget year,
they gave $500 to the effort. When Graham called Wilson to give him the
news, Graham found himself lingering on the phone, enjoying the
conversation.

            "It's very uplifting to talk with him," Graham says.

            Wilson says there are bright spots even on a completely dark
road.

            His sense of direction, always good, has uncannily stayed with
him, and he routinely can tell Jerlynn which way to turn when they are
driving together. He's learned to know where the sun is by the way it heats
up one part or another of his face. He can feel how the space inside his
home is different from that in the neighborhood outside and how an open
field feels more spacious than the neighborhood.

            He says he can pretty well gauge a person's height, weight and
even hair color in a handshake and a bit of conversation.

            Houck says blindness is to him what he imagines a lost leg is to
a veteran. You always miss it, but the presence of the loss in your mind
diminishes as increased activity takes over conscious thoughts.

            It can be an anchor that stops movement or it can be a solitary
tear that dries on a cheek. Wilson, you just know, is one who will win. One
who will create a new identity once again that fits the definition of a
strong man.

            "I dream of hunting wild boars down here with my pistol," he
says. "I love living on the edge."

Christmas at Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind

Caption:  Advisory Board Chairman Ralph M. Ellenburg, Sr.

Caption:  Advisory Board Member Dr. Diane Pitts

            For more than 30 years Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference
Center of the Blind (RBRCCB) has hosted Christmas for NFB of SC for local
and statewide leaders across the state.  It is not just a happenstance but
instead is an event that we the blind look forward to for some twelve months
for the first weekend of December, which is the time festivities get
underway.  Just about everybody in the state knows that the blind will be at
Rocky Bottom the first weekend upon the arrival of December and plans are
handled accordingly.  On Friday night most everyone has a good night's rest,
knowing that breakfast would be served promptly at 8:00 a.m. and board
meetings will occur beginning at 9:00 a.m., extending until about 5:00 p.m.
You can rely upon the kitchen crew to have ready for us at 8:00 a.m. a
wonderful southern breakfast consisting of grits and eggs, bacon, toast and
coffee, juice, etc.  Throughout the day there is plenty of activity
featuring the Rocky Bottom board meeting getting underway at 9:00 a.m. and
the board of the NFB of SC commencing at about 1:00 p.m.  Delays are avoided
as everyone is looking forward to the 6:00 p.m. dinner followed by a
wonderful Christmas program participated in by a number of people.  David
Houck heads up the program by providing the group with the Biblical account
of Jesus Christ's birth.  Parnell Diggs, with help from others, entertains
the representative group.  Mr. Ralph M. Ellenburg, Sr., Chairman of the
Advisory Board of RBRCCB, was on hand to extend greetings to everyone.  We
were also pleased that Dr. Diane Pitts and her husband Joe who lives on Lake
Greenwood took time and trouble to make the trip to Rocky Bottom to be with
us.  Mr. Ellenburg and Dr. Pitts are very, very loyal Advisory Board members
and as Dr. Pitts aptly stated, they feel they are members of the federation
family; and this is to advise both Mr. Ellenburg and Dr. Pitts that they
certainly are members of our family.  Under the tall Christmas tree,
beautifully decorated, reaching near the ceiling watching over gifts which
were placed under the Christmas tree, the distribution of gifts is always
exciting.  Gifts are exchanged by the members and guests and this activity
has become a highlight of the entire weekend.  Friends from across the state
enjoy the fellowship this activity promotes.  The board always remembers the
Resident Manager, Thom Spittle with a gift in appreciation of his service to
our facilities.  This year we were also, at the suggestion of Mr. Spittle,
presented a gift to Mrs. Elsie Duncan who is in charge of the cleaning of
the buildings.  Dr. Tom Bowen and his lovely wife Caroline also joined us
for a pleasant time with Dr. Bowen providing some stories, not entirely
truthfully, but nevertheless entertaining to everyone present.  Dr. Bowen
represents the Rocky Bottom community on the Rocky Bottom Board of
Directors.  As already indicated, for three decades this particular time of
the year adds to the beauty of the occasion and enables the blind and their
friends to come together and celebrate Christmas in an appropriate manner.
In describing the "southern breakfast" it would almost be criminal if I did
not extend sincere appreciation to our food service manager Lenora
Robertson, Second Vice President of the NFB of SC and the excellent crew
which she assembled.  After merriment at the Saturday evening gathering, it
soon comes time for everyone to make it to bed so that they can arise Sunday
morning again with breakfast waiting for everyone.  It seemed that just
about every one of the details were handled with love and care which are
characteristic of RBRCCB and the NFB of SC.

            The first Christmas board meeting of RBRCCB occurred in the
newly finished Osterneck Cottage.  Thus, it is realistic that the Christmas
board weekend beginning in 1980 was much smaller than the present for the
2010 Christmas board retreat.  Nowhere in the state can anyone find a
Christmas event that is more wholesome and enjoyable than the first weekend
in December at RBRCCB which continues this traditional joyous occasion.

Parnell & Jordan

By Parnell Diggs

(Editor's Note:  State President Parnell Diggs and his son, Jordan Diggs
enjoy life together.  This article is so overwhelming which was published in
a recent Positive Note, it is being reprinted for our Palmetto Blind
readers.)

          At times, we talk about our philosophy of blindness in these
Positive Notes.  It is a good way to remind us of where we are in our
efforts to achieve first-class citizenship status in society and (on
occasion) assess how far we still have to go.  I was talking with Jordan a
few days ago about an incident, which occurred on the playground.

          Sometimes, children quarrel about small issues that ultimately
make little difference later in life.  We try to teach them good values and
encourage them to be kind to others.  Nevertheless, we all slip in this
regard, and children do too.  Jordan was telling me about a disagreement he
was having with another child.

          In the end, the other child said something like, "At least my dad
isn't blind".  Naturally, children sometimes say things that would be
hurtful to others not realizing the long-term impact that such statements
may have.  In this case, however, Jordan tells me that he responded by
saying that he was glad I was blind.

          I owe this response to the work of the National Federation of the
Blind.  In Jordan's mind, the other child may as well have said something
like, "At least my dad doesn't have a million dollars".  Jordan thinks of my
blindness as a good thing.  To Jordan, it is certainly not the tragedy that
others believe blindness to be.

          In fact, the other child asked Jordan why he was glad that I am
blind.  Jordan went on to explain that, as a blind person, I get to be in
the National Federation of the Blind and work to make a difference in the
lives of people I don't even know.

          As Jordan said, I get to travel around the state and nation and
talk about all of the things that blind people are doing or are capable of
accomplishing.  Jordan explained that we are working on a car that can be
driven by a blind person and that we will be showing it off at Daytona in
January.  As Jordan sees it, I am better off than other dads because of all
of the neat things I get to do day after day.

          The other child's dad must seem to be quite ordinary to Jordan:
with an average life yielding little excitement.  It is good to know that
Jordan is proud of the work we are doing in this big program of work with
the blind.

          Though he is hearing from others about how terrible it is that his
dad is blind, Jordan remains convinced that not only is it respectable to be
blind, but in his ten-year-old perception of the world, blind is a pretty
good way to be.  In short, at ten years of age, Jordan still thinks it is
neat to have a blind father.

State Library Staff Member Named Outstanding Librarian

(Editor's Note:  Ms. Pamela Davenport of the SC Talking Book Services is an
outstanding lady and the NFB of SC is proud to be associated with her.  We
congratulate her with this honor.)

Caption:  Ms. Pamela Davenport, Director, SC Talking Book Services

            Columbia, S.C. - Pamela Davenport, Director of the State
Library's Talking Book Services, was recently awarded the South Carolina
Library Association's Outstanding Librarian Award at its annual conference
held in Myrtle Beach.

            The award recognizes and honors a librarian who has initiated or
developed an imaginative or creative program, service, or work of enduring
value, for the effective use of or increased interest in libraries or a
particular library.  Such contributions include excellence in leadership,
significant professional writing, instrumental role in building programs, or
promotion of the profession through teaching or influence.

            Davenport recently opened the third annual unveiling of the
Talking Book Services Student Art Gallery.  Columbia's Mayor, Steve
Benjamin, made introductory remarks on the importance of the arts and
appreciated the students' and library's involvement.  The gallery features
artwork from students who are blind, visually impaired, and physically
handicapped from around the state.  Davenport developed a partnership with
the South Carolina School for the Deaf and the Blind to gather artwork to
display in the State Library's administration building.

            The gallery is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00
p.m. and is located at 1430 Senate Street, Columbia.

SC Plans to Save Welcome Centers Back to Square One

(Editor's Note:  The following article appeared in the November 5, 2010
edition of The State newspaper.  At this point in time it does not appear
the information contained herein is of immediate harm to blind vendors but
previous articles of a similar nature have not been as positive as the NFB
of Sc would prefer.  This information is given to you primarily as a matter
of Palmetto Blind readers being informed to the extent possible.)

The Associated Press

            COLUMBIA, S.C. - A plan to get local tourism groups to take over
operations at South Carolina's nine welcome centers is going back to the
beginning so it will comply with state purchasing procedures.

            A spokesman for the state Department of Parks, Recreation and
Tourism said Friday that proposals made to the agency over the summer for
taking over individual centers will have to be resubmitted to the State
Budget and Control Board once a plan is set for how those bids will be
handled.

            Marion Edmonds said the agency will stop staffing the centers
two days a week to help save some of the $1.9 million in operating costs.

            Workers at the centers book millions of dollars' worth of
reservations for travelers at South Carolina hotels, restaurant and
attractions each year.

Adventures of a Senior Camper

By:  Linda I. Jenkins

(Editor's Note:  The following article written by Linda I. Jenkins of
Summerville is typical of other Senior Blind week participants who have
never had this mountain experience.)

            I remember being 12 and going to sleep-over camp for the first
time.  I was both excited and scared:  excited anticipating all of the fun
activities and meeting new friends and scared because I was going far away
from home with total strangers.  I had a wonderful time swimming, playing
games, hiking, exploring, eating terrific food, playing the piano in the
talent show, and sharing secrets under the covers when we were supposed to
be sleeping.  That first camping experience exceeded my expectations and was
an important part of my passage from childhood into adolescence...

            In the ensuing years, I have enjoyed listening to my children
and grandchildren share their first camp experiences with me and me sharing
mine with them.

            What a surprise when I was selected to attend this year's Fall
South Carolina National Federation of the Blind Senior Camp at Rocky Bottom.
I was eager to attend and meet some new people who were also blind.  To my
surprise, the night before I left for camp, I got a bit scared.  This was
the first time since I've been blind that I was traveling far from home to a
place I had never been with total strangers.

            In preparation for camp, I bought my first white cane.   There
was no time for mobility training, but I figured "How hard could it be to
use a cane."  I also was concerned about what clothes to bring.  After all,
the word "casual" can mean different things to different people.  I also
packed jewelry and make-up so I would look appropriate.  I made myself a
sandwich, grabbed a bottled water so I could eat lunch on the van.  I even
took my digital player and two books in case I got bored on the van or at
camp.

            My adventure began at 10:00 Sunday morning when the van arrived
at my home.  I said a silent prayer that I'd be okay for the next five days,
and we were off.

           When I arrived at camp, I was shown to my room, met my roommate,
and made my bed.  Since she had been to camp before, my roommate showed me
around.  . So far, so good!

            Dinner was served at the conference center.  I was helped with
my tray and led to a table . and, with a smile in his voice, I was told that
from here on I'd be on my own.  Uh oh, now what?  After all, I was blind and
needed help . didn't I?  Following dinner I asked the people at my table if
someone would show me to the restroom.  I was given directions but no offer
to assist me.  I was assured I could do it by myself.  I wasn't so sure!  I
did laugh and asked, "If I don't return in 10 minutes, would someone please
come looking for me?"  The response I got was laughter and the word "Maybe."
It was clear they believed in my abilities to do it even though I had my own
doubts.  Well, I did make the trip all by myself --- Lesson learned, YIPPEE!

            After dinner we were told we'd have karaoke night.  I asked how
people who are blind could do karaoke.  The response, again with much
laughter, was "just wing it."  It was clear this camp was going to be a fun
adventure.  I even sang and hummed a lot of the parts during my performance.
It simply didn't matter.  At one point the song "Amazing Grace" began, and
everyone stood and sang as a group.  What a poignant and moving moment.   It
was obvious we were becoming a unique group in this special place.  So ended
day one . or so I thought.

            I returned to Osterneck to go to my room but instead found
myself out on the beautiful screened porch, sitting in one of the rocking
chairs with several other women.  We all got to know one another better, all
the while listening to the creek behind our building.  My roommate and I
returned to our room and talked and talked and talked.   What a wonderful
first day!

            During the days that followed, we did many things.  I was the
butt of much good-natured ribbing for having a cane that was too short.  I
explained that I researched canes and thought I had ordered the correct
length.  The silly response was "Yes, it's the right length if you're eight
years old."  Two people took me under their wings and gave me private cane
mobility training.  One woman even lent me her cane so I could see how much
better it was than mine.  The information they shared during our walks was
invaluable as they taught me techniques, tips, and tricks.

            During formal and informal discussions, I understood the
importance of my learning Braille.  I also learned that I would benefit
tremendously from JAWS, or GUIDE, etc. Because of my experiences at camp, I
have purchased a new telescoping cane of the correct length, I've enrolled
in the Hadley School and have already finished the first Braille course and
am currently working on the second.  I am also signed up to acquire and
learn the program which will provide me the opportunity to once again
utilize my computer and navigate the internet.

            I will remember with fondness and gratitude our shared
experiences, all the laughter, and the hugs and tears when we left to return
home.  And in case you're interested, I never did get around to listening to
my digital player; nor did I ever wear my jewelry or make-up after that
first day.

            At camp I met great people, walked, acquired new skills and
knowledge, had wonderful meals, participated in the talent show, played
Bingo, took a field trip to an apple orchard, danced, and my roommate and I
shared secrets under the covers into the wee hours of the night when we
should have been sleeping.  Now that I'm home, I realize that this Senior
Camp experience exceeded my expectations, just as my first camp so many
years ago.

            WOW . what a great adventure!

Anderson Comes to Walk

By Carey Burris

(Editor's Note:  The Anderson and Greenville Chapters of the NFB of SC
participate in White Cane Safety Day by Carey Burris, President of the
Anderson Chapter, NFB of SC.)

            The Anderson Chapter NFB of SC held their  annual walkathon on
23rd of October.   The location  for the walk was N. Main St. where most of
the businesses are located like the Anderson Mall which is located in one of
many shopping centers in the area which has heavy traffic for motors and on
looks  to notice us.  On our walk we were accompanied by a police officer
for the first time, There was also a police car that followed along side of
us during our walk. The police also blocked off  one  section of traffic
during our walk.  Our walkers wore their walkathon t-shirts while  some
didn't have t-shirts to wear they also walked with us and we appreciate it.
We had media cover by WYFF Channel 4 from Greenville, SC there website is
<http://www.wyff4.com/> www.wyff4.com on the 23RD of October they showed our
walkathon on the 6 o' clock news. Also yours truly appeared on WRIX 103.1FM
radio on the 21ST October it aired between 9-10am, you can visit there
website at  <http://www.wrix103.com/> www.wrix103.com.   On the 22nd of
October Hazel Arms the VP of Greenville Chapter appeared on WAIM AM radio
there website is  <http://www.waim.us/> www.waim.us between hours of
8:10-9am, I appreciate Hazel for being on the radio with me and also
representing the Greenville Chapter along side Ralph Crittenden who has
always been their for the Greenville Chapter as their driver and for other
needs they may have. We hope to have this walk again next year and for years
to come. I would like to thank everyone for supporting White Cane Safety
Day.

>From the Editor's Desk

By Donald C. Capps

            This winter edition of the Palmetto Blind is certainly relevant
as the overnight weather dropped to 16 degrees.  But the Palmetto Blind is
not about the weather but more correctly it is directed to the concerns of
the state's blind.  Of course we enjoy the Christmas season as it generates
goodwill and love.  It is also an occasion that enables us to do some
limited travel across the state attending Christmas parties, well planned
and directed by the blind themselves.  It is also a time when we reflect
upon the year which has gone by so rapidly.  There are steady activity which
embrace federation programs that assists the blind in a variety of ways.

            I can remember 50 years ago that there was very little known
about Christmas parties for the blind with the exception of the Lion's Club
that I first learned about when a student at SCSDB for a five year period
between 1939 and 1944.  Each year the Spartanburg Lions would visit the
School, bringing bags of toys, fruit and other gifts.  Ironically, this same
year, 1944, a wonderful gentleman who happened to be blind, Dr. Samuel
Miller Lawton, founded the Aurora Club of the Blind, now operating as the
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina.  Thus the blind under
Dr. Lawton's leadership began to plan and carry out wholesome Christmas
parties enjoyed by the blind their friends.

            Dr. Lawton started a beautiful movement in South Carolina and it
was his vision that led to many cities and towns across the state having
their own organizations planning their Christmas parties.  This isn't to say
that the Lions activity was not appreciated for it certainly was because I
was present for several years during the time they would come out to the
School from downtown Spartanburg, bringing much appreciated gifts.  After
Dr. Lawton had organized the Spartanburg Chapter of the Aurora Club of the
Blind, three years later the second chapter was organized in Columbia in
1947 and it was eight years before the third chapter was begun in 1955 in
Charleston.  It was my privilege to participate in the organizing of the
Charleston Chapter.  After this, chapters began to spring up in every part
of the state and today some 60 Christmas parties sponsored by the blind
themselves will continue to grow and bring joy to the blind of the state.

            As we dictate this issue of the Palmetto Blind during the middle
of December, it is certainly obvious to me that we have only about two weeks
remaining in this year which we need to use wisely.  We have enjoyed many
successes in 2010 but as soon as January 8, 2011 arrives, the 41st Statewide
Seminar will be held at the Federation Center of the Blind.  2011 will be a
historical time for the NFB of SC as the Federation Center of the Blind will
celebrate its 50th anniversary.  I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity
in the late 1950's and 1960's to participate in the planning and
construction of the Federation Center.  I would have never dreamed 50 years
ago that I would still be active in the operation of the Federation Center
and no doubt just as enthusiastic and happy as any person who utilizes the
services of the Federation Center.  It's just amazing.  The 50th anniversary
Christmas event, presided over by David Houck, Columbia Chapter President,
was held just a few days ago on December 9 and the Center's meeting hall was
filled to capacity with blind persons in all walks of life enjoying
conversation and fellowship.  No one probably stopped to think that they
were enjoying a facility that was owned and operated by the blind in the
state.  As always, there will be the annual Statewide Seminar follo0wed by
the Leadership Seminar and many other Center activities.  The Federation
Center is a "Gibraltar" to the strength and influence it enjoys.  No doubt
2011 will bring about strategic planning to improve the lives of blind South
Carolinians.  The Federation Center has been the host for these many
activities and no doubt will continue to be very much involved in programs
with various issues already formulated to the extent solutions need to be
achieved.  All of us who participate in this big program of service to the
blind recognize that the blind can no longer sit back and hope that
everything will be all right but now recognizes policies that must be
implemented, ensuring improvements to the state's blind community.  It's a
wonderful time to be involved as a blind person in developing and carrying
out meaningful and constructive issues that will improve the standards the
blind need in order to make some progress already enjoyed by our sighted
brothers and sisters.  With al of us working together we will realize our
accomplishments and our dreams as well as our objectives.

Final Thought

POETRY:

I have a list of folks I know, all written in a book.

And every year when Christmas comes, I go and take a look.

And that is when I realize that these names are a part.

Not of the book they're written in, but of my very heart.

For each name stands for someone who has crossed my path sometime.

And in that meeting they've become the rhythm in each rhyme.

And while it sounds fantastic for me to make this claim.

I really feel that I'm composed of each remembered name.

And while you may not be aware of any special link.

Just meeting you has shaped my life a lot more than you think.

For once I've met somebody, the years cannot erase.

The memory of a pleasant word or a friendly face.

So never think my Christmas cards are just a mere routine.

Of names on a Christmas list, forgotten in between.

For when I send a Christmas card that is addressed to you.

It's because you're on that list of folks I'm indebted to.

For I am but the total of the many folks I've met.

And you happen to be one of those I prefer not to forget.

For if I've known you many years or only just a few.

In some way, be it large or small, I owe myself to you.

And every year when Christmas comes, I realize anew.

The best gift life can offer is meeting folks like you.

So Merry, Merry Christmas and no words can suffice.

To say how much your friendship means to me.

Robert Leslie Newman

Personal Website-

Adjustment To Blindness And Visual impairment

http//www.thoughtprovoker.info

NFB Writers' Division, president

http://www.nfb-writers-division.net

Chair of the NFB Communications Committee